Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: she is anemic !

Default she is anemic !

DD is 12 mo+ .she has always been in the higher percentile in the growth chart,also she is ahead in acheiving developmental milestone .I just asked the doctor to check her iron level for my mental peace that she is doing ok.I never thought she is anemic.now her iron is 4.I am so shocked !! I have never given her any vitamin drops as I was confident that BM is meeting all her need.Now I feel so guilty !!my blood iron level is normal.please advice me who fought her child's anemia.any input is appriciated.TIA

Default Re: she is anemic !

Sorry your LO turned up anemic. I would start her on vitamin drops- I think some moms use Floradix- and also try to increase her intake of iron-rich foods, like:
    - leafy greens (spinach, kale, collard greens)
    - legumes (lentils, beans)
    - meat
    - apricots (especially dried apricots, I think)
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

A ferritin level of 4 is really low. What did your Dr. suggest? I would imagine they recommended an iron supplement with a certain dosage, which I would definitely do, unless your DD has a milk intolerance. If so, she could have tiny fissures in her intestines where she's losing small amounts of blood, and the iron would only aggravate the fissures making it worse (that was the case with my DD). You can always raise iron levels with diet alone, but considering how low your DDs levels are, it's in her best interest to get them up as fast as possible. Do a search on here for anemia (I don't have time to elaborate further now) and you will find some threads I posted when DD was first diagnosed. There's tons of help in those! I'll post more later if I get a chance.

my lo was anemic at that age as well. we used all natural iron drops (i think from the vitamin shop??) specifically for kids. they worked great and after finishing most of the bottle, we didn't have any issues with iron after that. i'm sorry that i can't remember the name of the drops. i have used floradex myself when i was anemic and they worked for me. needless to say, we didn't used the pe

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

my lo was anemic at that age as well. we used all natural iron drops (i think from the vitamin shop??) specifically for kids. they worked great and after finishing most of the bottle, we didn't have any issues with iron after that. i'm sorry that i can't remember the name of the drops. i have used floradex myself when i was anemic and they worked for me. needless to say, we didn't used the peds prescription for iron supplements as we wanted to use all natural liquids drops instead.

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

oops double post

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

have they done a stool test to check for hidden blood?

the doctor suggested ferinsol.he didn't say anything about stool test but I am gonna go to him again to have her stool test done.

We had this happen at 9mo with DS2. I was DEVISTATED because I thought I was a terrible mom not to have noticed that he was anemic. He was advanced on all milestones etc. You are not a bad parent so don't feel guilty! I'm sure your LO will recover without any effects.

I went ahead and tried the dr. rx iron. I figured if it caused bowel problems I would try something else. But the rx iron worked great for us! It actually made him poop more instead of constipating him. Doc said it was b/c the bowels slow with anemia so the iron actually gets the system working right again.

So, at his 12mo check it was back up to a nice normal range and we stopped the iron but I do put a natural children's vitamin with iron in his juice everyday to prevent it from happening again.

I also made sure to serve beans at every meal for him. And increased his intake of vitamin C foods like oranges and strawberries to help his body use the iron.

Your LO will be fine shortly I'm sure!
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

Is constipation a symptom of anemia in infants? My son has had pooping troubles since around 5-6 months ans nothing seems to help at all. I have had to take iron pills for years and I am afraid my son may have the same issue. He has his 12 month check up next week, should I ask them to check for it?