Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Catching OALD spray in bottle or pump after feeding?

Red face Catching OALD spray in bottle or pump after feeding?

When I'm nursing my 4 wk old son I sometimes grab a bottle and let the let-down spray into the bottle (instead of into a towel). I can sometimes get a full ounce of let-down - often 1/2 oz - I just keep doing this thru the day and then freeze that milk.
    I'm wondering if this is bad to have a frozen stash of such foremilk? Will it be hard on him to eventually have a bottle of foremilk in the future if he needs too? I don't plan on having him use a bottle much at all, but I figure its better to freeze it than waste it in a towel?

Also, to make up a stash can I just pump the one side I nursed him on? I block feed him and I could pump just that one side and leave the unnursed side alone. Will it make me make too much milk if I pump a bit of the rest of the hind milk out?

Default Re: Catching OALD spray in bottle or pump after feeding?

When I had OS issues in the earlier weeks I pumped some "off the top" before nursing so that DD wouldn't get as much foremilk. One day I decided to save what I had pumped even though it was thin looking bc I HATE wasting breastmilk. (side story: one night I was pumping a little after a feeding and someone spilled some milk, which was probably less than an oz, and was in TEARS)

Well I left that bottle plus a "regular" pumped bottle with my mom one night when we went out and my mom said she plowed through the one bottle and was still hungry after. Sure enough she had had 4oz of foremilk and 2oz of the richer bm. At this time she only took a little over 3oz of ebm at any one time.

So in my experience the bottle of foremilk wasn't worth very much.
    I'm Melissa, DD (01/12/2009) weaned at a little over 2 1/2 years

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ap9981 View Post
    When I had OS issues in the earlier weeks I pumped some "off the top" before nursing so that DD wouldn't get as much foremilk. One day I decided to save what I had pumped even though it was thin looking bc I HATE wasting breastmilk. (side story: one night I was pumping a little after a feeding and someone spilled some milk, which was probably less than an oz, and was in TEARS)

Well I left that bottle plus a "regular" pumped bottle with my mom one night when we went out and my mom said she plowed through the one bottle and was still hungry after. Sure enough she had had 4oz of foremilk and 2oz of the richer bm. At this time she only took a little over 3oz of ebm at any one time.

So in my experience the bottle of foremilk wasn't worth very much.
    I noticed last night when I looked at the bottle of the days worth of let-down that it was only mildly separated vs one bottle I had pumped after nursing which was very separated - so there was very little 'fat' in the letdown milk. I'm like you tho - I hate to just waste it. I suppose maybe it could be used for thinning food later???

I gave my DD a bottle of mostly foremilk once, and it made her pretty gassy and gave her green poo. Whoops! Freezing it and saving it for mixing with foods later sounds like a good idea if you're going to go the pureed foods route.
    Mama of two precious girls
    DD1 born 23 July 2008 and
    DD2 born 14 January 2010

well I guess its not such a hot idea then. I wonder if I pump a bit of the hindmilk after a feeding if that would cause me problems with oversupply?

I'm not too worried about it because by the time I will need to bust into my freezer stash, I think, I will need stuff to mix with rice cereal and whatnot. Right now, she eats two bottles while I'm at work and I pump two bottles while she's at work, and I freeze the letdown milk for later on.

It's also good for when I do come up a little short on my pumps, I can add a half oz or so of the letdown milk and we're good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*twinsone View Post
    I suppose maybe it could be used for thinning food later???
    I had oversupply issues with my daughter and the LC told me not to give her bottles of foremilk but to freeze it and use it for cereal later on.

The fore milk is mainly fluid. The hind milk has most of the fat and nutrients. Try not to give "just" one or the other. At this time, I still pump, sometimes after my DD eats and lately we haven't had a real issue with OS. She only eats from one side and most of the time I don't pump the other side, but there are times where I end up uncomfortably full. No matter what you decide to do, momma, it's your choice.
    Last edited by @llli*wombatred26; December 3rd, 2009 at 07:08 AM.
    Hi, I'm Cyndie. Married my , Tony.

Lydia--15 mo and still nursing

Brenden--6.5 yo bf for 6 months

Preston (SS)--13.5 yo

Brittany--12.5 yo bf for 6 weeks

"You are not a pacifier; you are a Mom. You are the sun, the moon, the earth, you are liquid love, you are warmth, you are security, you are comfort in the very deepest aspect of the meaning of comfort.... but you are not a pacifier!" -- Paula Yount