Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby led weaning and poop problems!

Default Baby led weaning and poop problems!

My ds is totally into solid foods. One day he just started grabbing food out of our plates, hands and will try to get it out of our mouths! He is 8 months now so I figure he is okay to have solids. I've been giving him steamed baby carrots and apple slices so he can hold them and eat them. He LOVES it! The only problem now is that he is having difficulty pooping. He does poop but he cries when he passes them. They are not hard or dry. The poop is soft and mushy but with chunks of food in them. He is not pooping every day either now. He used to do two BMs a day with breastmilk but now he is going every other day. Its so hard to see him cry when passing BMs. Any suggestions people?

Default Re: Baby led weaning and poop problems!

He might just be getting used to the sensation of thicker poos? If they're not hard or dry it sounds like he's not really getting constipated, but I think I've heard that carrot and apple are both constipating. Could you try giving him some other fruits? Pears, plums, peaches...all the "P" fruits are good for keeping things running smoothly.

When we started my DD had trouble pooping too, so we just gave her more fruits and a little bit of water from a cup. Not loads, just a few sips to get her used to a cup and to make sure she didn't get too blocked up.
    Mama of two precious girls
    DD1 born 23 July 2008 and
    DD2 born 14 January 2010

Default Re: Baby led weaning and poop problems!

I never knew carrots and apples could be constipating! Thanks for the info. I'll give him some pear slices today and hopefully things will be easier for him. Ds loves drinking water out of a cup - I have to be careful though because he likes to drink the entire cup and I'm afraid he'll be too full on water.