Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: throw away milk supply?? Thrush???

Default throw away milk supply?? Thrush???

I have been battling thrush on my nipples for the past 7 weeks, I just figured out what it was about a couple weeks ago and my son was treated with nystatin orally (even though he didn't show any signs of thursh in his mouth) and I was treated with diflucan, I also used gentian violet and APNO to help out. I was better for about a week and a half and now the soreness has come back so now we are both on diflucan (Dr. thinks son needs to be treated for it and myself simutaneoulsy). Anywho, my question is does anyone know if I need to throw out my frozen milk supply because of possible contamination. I don't know how long I have had the infection because nursing has been painful the whole 8 weeks of my sons life. I just thought he had a bad latch because of the soreness and no signs in his mouth. Thanks to this board I self diagnosed and my dr. helped me treat. Please advise if I need to throw out the supply I have worked so hard to get.

Default Re: throw away milk supply?? Thrush???

I'm sorry you're going through this mama. I can sympathize - we are battling with thrush too. My son and I just started on the Diflucan today and below is a link to other things you can do to try and get rid of it. I'm doing everything on there except the Gentian Violet treatment. (Both me and baby are taking probiotics, I'm taking Grapefruit Seed Extract capsules, using Grapefruit Seed Extract drops mixed in water on my nipples along with Magic Nipple Cream, washing ALL laundry with 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar in the rinse cycle, only using towels from showering and burp cloths once, boiling pacifiers for 20 minutes every night, etc). I hope you get rid of it! (And me too!)

http://www.nbcionline.org/index.php?...tion&Itemid=17

As far as throwing milk away, I'm not sure. I haven't read through this whole link, but maybe it will help you.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...ssed-milk.html
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

I battled with Thrush in the early months as well as a big painful crack. DD luckily did not get it! I was also treated with the Diflucan but none for DD. I used diluted vinegar after every feeding and a paste of water and probiotic (Rhino powder from our local health food store) with some comfrey ointment thrown in there too! I thought it would never end, but the Diflucan and lots of airing out really helped.

As far as the frozen milk, I was told to toss it. It was such a shame not to be able to use it, especially after all the time it takes to pump, but there is no need to risk it, especially after battling with Thrush twice!

Good Luck!

I thought I had thrush too when my son was about 7 weeks old. I had had sore nipples, pain during breastfeeding and sometimes shooting pains afterwards. I went the route of treating for thrush (gentian violet, grapefruit seed extract, diflucan, nyastatin, nipple cream, drops for my son) and nothing seemed to really get rid of the symptoms. Finally after talking with my OB and many lactation conultants, we decided it was not thrush and maybe a latch issue. No one could really give me any answers. To this day (17week-old son) I still have sore nipples and sometimes the breast pain is bad enough that I will need to take tylenol but that's really only 1-2 times a week and I've learned to deal with my pain! It's not all the time at least .

My point is that you may also be unlucky like me but you may really have thrush.
    Anyway, to answer your question, I spoke with a lactation consultant about the milk and she told me at a recent conference, they were told that the milk should still be good, hence not throwing out the frozen stash.

If you can talk to an LC, I would recommend it as you may or may not have thrush. I too self diagnosed myself with thrush and it wasn't the case for me.

Best wishes.
    ~Sally
    Mommy to our miracle Arman Liam born 2/21/09