Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New to pumping - a few basic questions

Default New to pumping - a few basic questions

Hello!
    I just started pumping a few days ago. My LO is 3 weeks old, and we're just doing one bottle per day so my DH can put him to bed at night. It seems to be going well so far, but I have a few questions.
    1. How long should each pumping session be? I've been doing 15 minutes, but am not sure if it should be longer.
    2. How much should I be getting during each pumping session? I have gotten about 2-3 oz each time I've pumped.
    Thanks! Off to bed.....FINALLY!

Default Re: New to pumping - a few basic questions

Sounds like you are doing a great job. As long as you are pumping through your let down and feel "empty" you're probably right on point. 2-3 oz is plenty for a 3 week old at one sitting so pat yourself on the back, it seems like everything is working out. You'll be amazed to see your supply grow and change as your little one does!
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

Do you have a double pump--meaning, can you pump both breasts at the same time? Each breast should be getting about 15 minutes of stimulation.

And the amount sounds perfect!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Unhappy Re: New to pumping - a few basic questions

Yes, I am using a double pump so each breast gets 15 minutes.
    My 3-week old seems to need more than 2-3 oz. The other night he ate 5 oz. and last night almost 6!!! I'm not sure if he's going through a growth spurt or if he is extra hungry at his last feeding for the evening (he tends to sleep for 3.5-4 hours between feedings overnight). So I don't think the 2-3 oz. I'm getting is enough for him.
    Also, today I pumped at 10:30 a.m., and he was hungry at 11:30 a.m. I thought I had enough time, but apparently not! I had to give him 2 oz. of pumped milk because he didn't get enough from my breasts!!! I really wanted to leave the bottle-feeding to my husband and only for that last feeding before bedtime, but I was desperate.
    Any suggestions for how I can pump and still leave enough in my breasts for him to eat from me? I'm pumping 1 hour after he's done eating, but it doesn't seem to leave enough time before he needs to eat again. Overnight seems to be the most ideal, but it's really hard in the WEE hours of the morning! HELP! I feel like I've never going to build up a good supply at this rate!

Hi,
    i'm almost exclusive pumper. I feed her with nipple shields and Lydia is getting enough and cries so i give her a bottle of pumped milk. My Lc told me that's bad but i can't see her crying. The ped and in Kelly Mom site says that you should pump after the feeding for 8-10 minutes. That has helped me so much. generally being a pumper is extremely tricky and stressy. I live with the fear that the pump will break or i'll wake up without enough milk. And i don't know how long i'm going to be able to pump. I feel like a cow. I love my baby and thre idea of giving formula makes me cry......
    I wish i had normal nipples.
    I wish good luck to all brest milk giving moms.

Pumping takes practice and you may find that in time, you are getting more than 2-3 oz per session.

The best way to build your supply is remove more milk from the breast, therefore, pumping and feeding on demand will increase your supply. Just be careful because oversupply is as painful physically as undersupply is emotionally! Your breasts are never completely drained, so you should have enough to feed your lo if you pump an hour before he eats. I pumped one hour after she ate and then fed her an hour after I pumped, but that was dds schedule and every lo is different (and isn't that the challenge !).

Your lo may be going through a growth spurt. And remember that the baby is always more efficient than the pump!

Give yourself some time too. HTH!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Quote Originally Posted by athena
    Hi,
    i'm almost exclusive pumper. I feed her with nipple shields and Lydia is getting enough and cries so i give her a bottle of pumped milk. My Lc told me that's bad but i can't see her crying. The ped and in Kelly Mom site says that you should pump after the feeding for 8-10 minutes. That has helped me so much. generally being a pumper is extremely tricky and stressy. I live with the fear that the pump will break or i'll wake up without enough milk. And i don't know how long i'm going to be able to pump. I feel like a cow. I love my baby and thre idea of giving formula makes me cry......
    I wish i had normal nipples.
    I wish good luck to all brest milk giving moms.
    Boy have I woke up in cold sweats before after nightmares of the pump breaking! Have you tried feeding and then pumping for about 8-10 minute immediately after. Babies have a need to suck. Are you sure that LO is not just wanting to suck. In time you will know LO cries and be able to tell. If pedi and LC say everthing is fine, relax and take a breath. I promise before long you will be the one giving advise. Watch output if that's OK along with babies weight, everything should be OK. We tried a paci and it did the trick. Hope this helps. Good luck please update us on how things are going.