Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning not going well-26 mth old

Default Weaning not going well-26 mth old

I have been working at reducing my 26 mth old nursing times and its gone fairly well except at bedtime. I am 17 weeks pg and getting tired of nursing so much. When I got pg, I eliminated 2 sessions that didn't seem that important to her, leaving us with morning, lunch and bedtime. The morning and bedtime she has shortened the length on her own and they are maybe 5 min, 10 at most. Bedtime is another story, she would nurse forever. I started limiting her to 25 min, and then recently 20 but she cried so much we went back to 25 min. Now even that is not enough and my dh has to come retrieve her after 30 min while she is screaming and I escape. I am really not feeling up to nursing that long at night and I just don't know what to do. There is hardly any milk (hasn't been for some time) so I don't think its a food issue. Before I got pg, she wasonly nursing maybe 15 min at bedtime anyway. I'm not refusing to nurse her and 20 min certainly seems reasonable (to me anyway) so what should I do? It feels horrible to send her off my my husband while she is screaming every night. Please help!!

Aileen
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.

Default Re: Weaning not going well-26 mth old

It sometimes is just as hard on mama as it is on them

I wonder if you could try something I have heard many moms say has worked for them... your DD is older than two and therefore smart enough to understand the concept of 'after'. WHat if you tell her you are going to allow her to nurse for a set period oftime (say 5 minutes - or 10 whatever you think will work for her AND you) and then tell her afterward she'll get something... a special story from daddy or something that will interest her - then since dady has her anyhow - he can take over the nighttime routine - in a hopefully, more pleasant way? Then if it works you can cut down the time slowly...
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Another thing we do when I'm "compromising" with her on nursing length is sing a song - she picks the song and I pick how many times to sing it and how slow/fast to sing it, depending on how I'm feeling and how needy I think she is at the moment. I started doing this when I was pregnant and I still do it at times now - we are down to morning and bedtime (she's 30months and my son is 5months). If she complains when we're done, or won't unlatch, I tell her that if she wants to nurse she has to listen to mommy's feelings too and when I say all done, we're done. I also offer to do something else with her, like cuddle or read a story after nursing because sometimes she just wants more of my attention. Hope this helps.
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*number4 View Post
    WHat if you tell her you are going to allow her to nurse for a set period oftime (say 5 minutes - or 10 whatever you think will work for her AND you) and then tell her afterward she'll get something... a special story from daddy or something that will interest her - then since daddy has her anyhow - he can take over the nighttime routine - in a hopefully, more pleasant way? Then if it works you can cut down the time slowly...
    This sounds like a great idea!
    Good Luck!

Kimberly Mommy to Landin and Avery

------------------------------------------

Thanks for your replies. I guess that may be a problem with our bedtime routine, currently its books, nurse and then he puts her to bed. He even calls down to her that he is waiting and it is not enough. Once he has her, they rock for a few min and then she gets into her crib so it really is the end of the routine. So you would suggest adding some more books etc after the nursing? I just wish she would give it up on her own, she is so quick for the two times during the day!
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.

You could definitely change your bedtime routine. I've started to do this and last night it worked - Emma didn't ask to nurse before bed. I was shocked.
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

Maybe nurse through one book? Then read another 1-2 and cuddle, then hand off?

When I was pg I started counting with DS1 when I got sick of the nursing (after several minutes) - i.e. he could nurse until I got to 10 etc. I'd say they were tired or hurting (often were). There was resistance at first then it was ok.

The other option is maybe set a timer and when the buzzer goes off it's done, or then count to 10.

HTH