Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Hand Foot and Mouth Problems

Default Hand Foot and Mouth Problems

One of the little girls my 18 month DS plays with here at my home daycare got Hand Foot and Mouth on Thursday. He got the fever on Saturday and the rash on Sun. It's terrible on his little rear and mild on his hands and feet. The doc said she didn't see many in his mouth when I took him for a check up yesterday.

But he is not nursing! He was nuring non stop on Sat and Sun like he usually does when he feels bad. But then Sunday night and last night he would wake up, we cosleep, like usual and want to latch on, put his mouth on then pull away and cry! Over and over. Last night he didn't even really try to latch on he just fussed and cried when he woke up then fell back to sleep.

I woke up this morning engorged and my right breast hurts! I'm worried he's weaning b/c of this. He hasn't nursed or even asked all morning either! And he seems to feel fine. He's running and playing like normal. He's eating and drinking milk from a cup. I feel so sad.

He's always been an avid nurser. One of his first words was nur-nur and he usually says it all the time. Could he be on a strike at 18 months? Or could his mouth just hurt even though the doc said his mouth didn't look bad? Or (sigh) could he be weaning abruptly? I'm not ready!!!
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

Default Re: Hand Foot and Mouth Problems

I think it sounds like a strike to me. We had plenty of them after the age of 1 and it was always illness related.

Could have gotten worse in his mouth, or the sores in there are probably very painful. It's very common for them to strike with this particular illness, there have been many threads about it.

At 18 months you don't have to worry about your supply. Just hand express or pump if engorged, and offer the breast but don't push. Once he feels better he will certainly come back to it.

Hang in there! Before you know it he will be back as your nursling.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

when my lo had hand foot mouth at 18 mo. his mouth was a mess! He had big sores in his mouth, on his tongue, lips, etc. My husband and I got the virus, too and MAN did it hurt! So, my guess is that it is just really painful for him to nurse. The mouth sores come at the end of the virus after everything else - so he'll look and seem fine, but I bet his mouth is really in pain. I agree with pp...pump or hand express to relieve pressure from your breasts, keep offering (maybe while he's asleep or sleepy????) and hopefully this will pass soon!

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

thanks for the assurance mamas! I hope this passes soon!
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens