Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Starting BLS

Default Starting BLS

Any advice?

We tried rice cereal at about 5 1/2 months, and then went on to do pureed avacado, banana, and sweet potatoes. DS wasn't too into it, and then he really wasn't into it. I stopped completely because I got tired of going through the trouble of making his food when he wouldn't even try it. Also, I didn't want to force him. I came across some info on BLS/BLW
    http://www.rapleyweaning.com/assets/blw_guidelines.pdf
    Now I've just been giving him one of the above already introduced foods in whole form ( big chunks, slices). So far he has played more than eaten, but he does get to taste it, and I think he is enjoying it. Plus I feed him when I am eating and I think he likes not being left out anymore. He has gotten to try a couple new foods, watermelon and toast. He makes a face when he gets a good taste of the melon, but loves the toast! The other morning he mashed it in his avacado and really gobbled it up.

So anyways, I guess we are off to a good start, but I still have so many questions and concerns. For instance, choking and gagging. From what I've read it is normal for them to gag because they are working the part of the throat that keeps them from choking. BLS peeps say just to watch carefully and not freak when they gag... EEk!
    Hello! I'm Alayna, mama to Lennon Born November 18, 2008

Peace!

Default Re: Starting BLS

have you taken a baby cpr course?
    That might set your mind a ease that you would know what to do if toddler got into trouble!

It sounds like things are going well! Gagging is not fun to watch, but it is normal. Does he still have a tongue thrust? If so, it may be a good idea to give him a little more time before starting solids. If not, it's just part of the package.

He probably won't actually EAT anything for a while, and that's totally normal. The main purpose of the solids at this point is to experiment with different textures and to learn how to manipulate the food with his fingers. His main nutrition will still come from breast milk.

We did BLS, kind of modified (there were some things that we fed him), but it was a lot of fun, and I think it helped him be a more adventurous eater. Try not to freak out over the gagging, and be ready for lots of messes, but have fun with it, and he will too!

ETA: Baby CPR is a good idea, just in case you ever need it. Oops, Andrea said it first!

You'll know when your baby wants to eat solids. My ds is grabbing and stealing food wherever he can get it. Before you know it - you lo will be at that stage. At the public health clinic where I live - they are encouraging moms to do BLS. They say that gagging and choking are two different things. The nurses say you can tell when baby is choking because they have difficulty breathing and that gagging is good because they are learning.

cpr

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

okay mamas i will definitely follow your advice and find a baby cpr course nearby! i think that would definitely put me at ease
    Hello! I'm Alayna, mama to Lennon Born November 18, 2008

Peace!

Bump
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.