Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just wondering...

Default Just wondering...

I received a sample of one of those formulas for older babies (it said 9 to 24 months or something like that) in the mail the other day and the little pamphlet that came along with it was talking about how much better it was than cow's milk.

I plan on breastfeeding as long as my son wants to, but I was just curious about this for when he does wean. When he does wean, should I give him whole milk or would this older baby formula be a better option? They didn't have this type of thing when my older son turned one, so I have no clue.

Any thoughts???
    Penthouse

Mama to
    DS1 (9 years old...nursed for 7 months - how I wish this forum had been around back then!)
    DS2 (after nursing for a tad over two years, I *think* we are done )

Default Re: Just wondering...

I don't think there's any need for those. My son stopped nursing just a week ago now and the doctor said to just start him on whole milk...
    Mama to Aidan - 13 months

yup vitaimans and minerals from healthy foods are beter for toddlers body then the stuff that make that junk out of.

this is a helpfull chart from dr sears
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/t021600.asp

also from that link:

A new trend in artificial baby milk, popular in Europe and now on the shelves in U.S. supermarkets, is formula designed for the infant older than six months and are meant to be a bridge between regular formula and cow's milk, which should not be introduced until some time after age one. Two questions arise about follow-up formulas: are they nutritious and are they necessary? The rationale for follow-up formulas is that the nutritional needs of infants greatly increase after the age of six months (especially for calcium, iron, and protein), and some infants may have difficulty meeting these increased requirements with greater volumes of standard formula, plus solid foods. The following discussion concerns Carnation Follow-up Formula. Here are the advantages and disadvantages of follow-up formula.

Advantages:

Contains more calcium. From six months to a year the RDA for calcium in infants increases by fifty percent, from 400 milligrams to 600 milligrams. Carnation Follow-up formula contains 600 milligrams of calcium in 24 ounces. It would take 39 ounces a day of standard formula to meet these calcium requirements.
    Contains more iron. From six to twelve months a baby's daily iron requirements increase from six milligrams to ten milligrams a day. This extra iron could be supplied in 26 ounces of follow-up formula or 27 to 33 ounces of standard formula, so there isn't a great advantage to the follow-up formula here.
    Contains more protein. From six to twelve months an infant requires an extra three to four milligrams of protein a day. Follow-up formulas contain from 10 to 25 percent more protein. A baby would need an extra three to eight ounces of standard formula per day to get this extra protein.
    Costs less. The cost is around 20 percent less than the price of regular formula.
    May taste better. Because it is basically milk, it tastes more like milk.
    Disadvantages:

Casein/whey ratio different from human milk. Basically, Carnation Good Start Follow-up is like the older version of Similac: 82 percent casein and 18 percent whey, plus calcium and a newer fat blend.
    Sweetened with corn syrup. The rationale for replacing lactose in the milk with corn syrup is to get it to taste sweeter. In our opinion, using corn syrup as the prime milk-carbohydrate source in an infant under a year is nutritionally unwise. Besides insuring proper nutrition, one of the main goals in feeding an infant over six months is to shape young tastes toward the normal taste of fresh foods. Corn syrup is a sweetener and certainly shouldn't be part of a food babies eat several times each day. Our conclusion: we do not recommend follow-up formulas that contain corn syrup. They are nutritionally unwise and unnecessary. Better to give your baby a higher volume of standard formula (growing babies need more fluid anyway), plus calcium and iron-containing solid foods.

Thank you for that link! He eats a good variety of foods as it is, so I think he will be fine as far as that goes. I know it's just propaganda on the formula company's part, but it had me worried for a second. Thanks again for the information!
    Penthouse

Mama to
    DS1 (9 years old...nursed for 7 months - how I wish this forum had been around back then!)
    DS2 (after nursing for a tad over two years, I *think* we are done )

your welcome.
    Yeah their goal is to sell you can after can of thier product!

I think the whole "older baby" formula thing is a marketing ploy. If a weaned 12+ month old baby will drink whole milk and has an otherwise adequate diet, there's no need for formula. However, if a weaned 12+ month old won't drink whole milk and doesn't have a good diet, then I think that formula could be really useful. I am not by any means sure that the formula which is specifically marketed for older babies is in fact tailored to meet their needs, however...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I think the whole "older baby" formula thing is a marketing ploy.
    I agree!

Kimberly Mommy to Landin and Avery

------------------------------------------

Here is what I think of formula for ANYONE:
    Here is what I think of YOU feeding your kid formula after you have worked so hard to give him your milk for this long and committing to self wean:
    Need I say more? Tell me. I will.

Way too lazy for formula

You also don't have to give him milk either if you don't want to. He would do fine with a varied diet, and can get the calcium from other dairy sources.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*green.momma View Post
    You also don't have to give him milk either if you don't want to. He would do fine with a varied diet, and can get the calcium from other dairy sources.
    Yep. Did you know that COWS don't even drink any milk AT ALL?? Go figure. I mean well that's a lie. They DO drink it when they are babies. But when they are older they get all their calcium for greens. And So can you!

Way too lazy for formula