Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bottle Weaning?

Default Bottle Weaning?

Hey Everyone,
    I just want to get some opinions/thoughts on this. My LO is one, and right now she only takes 2 -3-4 oz bottles per day (of EBM) and only when I am at work 4 days per week. Well, my mom who's always been so supportive of my BF (even though she wanted to but couldn't bc their was not much support for BF mom's when I was born) is starting to get on my nerves. I feel like she's trying to wean my daughter. She's telling me that she needs to get off the white stuff and that baby's aren't supposed to drink from bottles after one, ARGH! I said something about it and she was like "oh, yeah, and I didn't have 3 kids, so I don't know anything"

Well my opinion is that I'd rather pump my milk because it's not an inconveince and give her that (she's taking it w/snacks now) bc I'd rather her have my milk than CM. I also don't think that her taking bottles will cause a problem. The only thing she drinks is Bmilk from bottle and only when I'm away, she drinks water from a cup. So when she doesn't drink Bmilk anymore, she will not drink from a bottle, right, so why the big deal?

I'm sorry this is so long, but I just wanted to get some opinions from some experienced, BF mamas, what do you all think. I am doing okay? TIA
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Default Re: Bottle Weaning?

imo some kids have a very high sucking need and the bottle can help with this need.
    IF it helps them be less stressed and they are thriving then why change things. Just cause somebody says that they need to be off the bottle at 1

There's no problem with your LO taking a bottle still. One is still just a baby and sucking can be very comforting for them. The only problem is if she is sucking on a bottle all day or walking around with it, that can be bad for her teeth. Other than, that, I don't see why not. Perhaps she doesn't realize the tremendous value of breastmilk after 1. The nutrition and the antibodies are very helpful to your LO right now. Definately better than CM. Kellymom has a good page on this. Not that you should have to justify to your mom, but maybe some information will help. You can also tell her that the WHO recommends a minimum of 2 years of breastmilk. You can phrase it in a way 'I know when you had kids, the recommendations were different, they have now changed them, I'm sure it is quite surprising for you'. At least this, is how I phrase it with my mom and she seemed to accept it.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits.html
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

Thanks Ladies. You know, I didn't even think of the desire to suck issue! I mean she doesn't take a paci so maybe the bottle does fulfill that desire? I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. She isn't walking around all day with the bottle so I'm not worried about that. She just has it and has a snack. Today when I went home for lunch my MIL said that she thinks DD is losing interest in the bottle anyway. My mom has said that too, but DD also has more distractions at her house (her cousin). So I don't know what to think. I guess I will keep pumping until she stops drinking it. She nurses about 4-5 times a day even when I do work and more when I'm at home. I will have to look at the Kellymom link and use that to explain to my mom. I usually just give smart answers like "i'm bfing til she goes to college" or "she's not a baby cow" something along those lines when people ask me
    Proud mom of 2:

You can also pump and put breastmilk in a sippy or regular cup! Weaning off the bottle doesn't necessarily have to mean weaning from breastmilk. My daughter started refusing bottles at day care around 13 mos.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    You can also pump and put breastmilk in a sippy or regular cup! Weaning off the bottle doesn't necessarily have to mean weaning from breastmilk. My daughter started refusing bottles at day care around 13 mos.
    Is that when you stopped pumping, right? I think I read that's what you did on another post....Were you planning on pumping until she stopped drinking the bottles? Is that how you did it?
    Proud mom of 2:

Yes that's when I stopped pumping. I figured I'd pump until she started drinking cow's milk, but she stopped taking the bottles and didn't actually start drinking the cows milk until several months after that (she won't drink it at all now). I was still nursing her frequently at home, though, and she ate a lot of solids so I wasn't concerned about her not drinking milk. I could have kept pumping and giving it to her in sippys but I really wanted my lunch break back at work.
    Last edited by @llli*norasmommy; June 17th, 2009 at 07:55 AM.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    I really wanted my lunch break back at work.
    I hear you! Sometimes a mom just needs a few minutes to herself. That's why I don't mind the pumping, it's 15 minutes 2x per day that NO ONE bothers me and I can actually read something Although, since I'm back in school now it's mostly school work I'm reading but that won't be for much longer since I hope to graduate in the spring....i've been going long enough
    Proud mom of 2:

I just weaned K off bottle and she's 1 month shy of 3yo. She only drank CM in it but used regular glasses for everything else. I let her keep it until we all got used to L and until I felt she didn't need it any more.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!