Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do not feed my child!

Default Re: Do not feed my child!

I have had so many issues with this, it's rediculous. Why do the grandparents of all people NOT RESPECT THE PARENTS WISHES?! My father-in-law has been the worst. Not only has he attempted ice cream, licorice, fortune cookies, french fries, but last weekend BEER. Who the hell gives an infant beer?! We have had issues from the begining of them not respecting me and my wishes as the mother. They've been talked to so many times. I am to the point where I don't want my child around them. It is sad that they have put us in this position. Stand your ground mama! I am glad your mother-in-law is behind you on this. I would suggest working this out asap so your situation doesn't get to where mine is.

i think this is something that every parent experiences to some degree at some point. it is very frustrating.

i caught my best friend giving my 7mo old "just a lick" of her fudgesicle a few weeks ago. she said "but she loves it!" oh, REALLY? well, why didn't you just say so? by all means, proceed to let her lick away!
    the best food blog you aren't reading

i'm beth, mama to:

lila, 11/6/08, nursed until 2yrs 10 mos, weaned during pregnancy

-and-

max, 2/16/12, my huge new little nursling

Good for you for standing up for your beliefs!!! Sometimes relatives don't stop & think about what they're doing & don't realize it IS a big deal. DF's dad used to babysit ML & was forever trying to sneak her sips of Pepsi ....until the day that I told him he would forever be banned from the house it he did give her any. He hasn't tried since & now she's older (had a taste of non-caffienated soda, realized it's "spicy" & doesn't like it) she wouldn't drink any if he offered. Just hang in there & keep "reminding" him about what your lo can/cannot have.
    Mommy to Mary Louise, born 6/28/05, Self weaned at 2 years and 2 months

Mommy to Craig Isaac, born February 16, 2008, Self weaned 3 years and 4 months
    parttime

Thank you for all the support mamas. I am going to just start wearing her when he is around
    *Lindsay* Proud AP mommy to Cadence 10*5*04 and mama to Irie 4*9*09* Wife to Nick aka Nickie poo 10*31*08 *

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ilovecadence View Post
    Thank you for all the support mamas. I am going to just start wearing her when he is around
    Whatever works - good for you Momma!!

We've made it 1 YEAR

A newborn baby has only three demands. They are warmth in the arms of its mother, food from her breasts, and security in the knowledge of her presence. Breastfeeding satisfies all three. ~Grantly Dick-Read

Stacey

Married to DH since 2001
    Mommy to Mikki 2006
    Mommy to Xander 2008

Just wanted to chime in and say that strawberries are one of those foods that are more likely to cause an allergic reaction

I'm very lucky in that I have not had this experience yet and my lo is 5 months old. My parents, in-laws, etc. are all respectful and maybe even a little scared of me! Haha, I'm one of those "assertive" types - wacka wacka

But seriously, I'm proud of all the mamas (and papas) who stand up for their choices. Before I was a mom it drove me crazy when people would feed my pets "whatever" so I can only imagine what it would be like if someone said to my (human) son, "Here child, have a Pepsi and some fries and a side of espresso beans."

Hang in there and stay true. You are doing the right thing.
    ----------------
    First-time mother to baby Ian born January 17th, 2009; 9lbs 2oz; 21 inches; all natural birth experience
    My Blog: www.life-with-ian.blogspot.com

BF'ing for 14 months
    At Home:
    At Work:

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amberlina View Post
    My father-in-law has been the worst. Not only has he attempted ice cream, licorice, fortune cookies, french fries, but last weekend BEER.
    Oh my gosh, if my FIL was like that, I'd freak. It must be so tough, since you can't exactly cut your husband's family completely out of your life...well, actually you could, but

Is anyone else as paranoid as I am about television? Whenever my dad is home, he has to have the TV on, and always blasting at high volume. When my nephew and niece stay with them for the summer, they all spend hours in front of the set. This makes me nervous about ever letting my daughter be with my parents when I'm not around.

The way I see it, you have two choices:

1) Tell you dad just exactly what you told the forum. This may cause a little discomfort (or a lot, not sure) but at least you've said your peace and hopefully your pops will respect your wishes in order to see his granddaughter.

2) Don't rock the boat, suck it up and deal with possible resentment and a daughter who gets a healthy dose of the boob tube every once in awhile.

Tough call.
    ----------------
    First-time mother to baby Ian born January 17th, 2009; 9lbs 2oz; 21 inches; all natural birth experience
    My Blog: www.life-with-ian.blogspot.com

BF'ing for 14 months
    At Home:
    At Work:

I totally understand. I visited my MIL a few weeks ago and she said out loud "I wish I could give you A sip of soda" she said that to my then 5 month old. I know this may sound harsh but I told her over my dead body! You should stand up for what you believe in and IL's should respect that.
    First time mom to baby Joshua (12/19/2008, 6lbs-0oz, 19 inches)
    I have no what I'm doing, but I'm doing my best
    I'm STILL at work, when I'm home, and .

We've made it 14 months .