Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do not feed my child!

Default Do not feed my child!

I was at MIL today and DH father stopped over (they are divorced). We were eating desert and he tried to let my two month old taste a strawberry. Let me say if you want to feed your infant solids I am ok with that thats not my choice and others should be respectful. I politely asked him not to and he says "oh but she just wants a lick" I then stood up and loudly said "DO NOT feed MY baby" and MIL told him to stop before he made me upset. I was upset, I am still upset. Why do people not respect the parents? If I say no then just bug off. ughh rant over. I am really glad I stuck up for myself and my baby since when Cadence was an infant it was really hard to stand up to people (had her at 17 and did not want drama I guess...idk).

btw I have been bothered by FIL all day so if I seemed to harsh that really might be why haha
    *Lindsay* Proud AP mommy to Cadence 10*5*04 and mama to Irie 4*9*09* Wife to Nick aka Nickie poo 10*31*08 *

Default Re: Do not feed my child!

You are doing the right thing mamma! It's important that others respect your wishes and let you make the parenting decisions. Is DH supportive? He should also interject with his parents if they are doing something that is making you uncomfortable or that you don't agree with.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Yes he is supportive but he is a really mellow guy and does not really get upset about things like I do. It is just how he is but I am darn proud of myself for standing up like I did
    *Lindsay* Proud AP mommy to Cadence 10*5*04 and mama to Irie 4*9*09* Wife to Nick aka Nickie poo 10*31*08 *

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ilovecadence View Post
    Yes he is supportive but he is a really mellow guy and does not really get upset about things like I do. It is just how he is but I am darn proud of myself for standing up like I did
    You go mamma!

It's a great thing that your DH stands behind you too. Just continue to do what you're doing. This is your child after all, not theirs.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

- 2mo is way too young to start solids - and does your FIL know that strawberries shouldn't be given to a child under 1, anyway? Good for you for remembering that YOU are the mom, and everyone else gets to interact with your baby under YOUR (or your & your DH's) rules!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

idk if he knows that or not its his first grandchild but you know things were different when he had young kids.

you know things were different when he had young kids.
    Exactly! And that's why he needs to listen to you - you have all of the latest . I'm glad that MIL stuck up for you, too!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Yes my MIL is pretty awesome. She breastfed too so she gets it more I think. OT- but she works at the hospital where I delivered and told me how she had already been talking to a few obgyns and "interveiwing" them to figure out who would be best for "next time" that was at 2 weeks pp lol gotta love her

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*imma2nonstopaa View Post
    Exactly! And that's why he needs to listen to you - you have all of the latest . I'm glad that MIL stuck up for you, too!

Omg...I have the same issue with my parents...They think its ok to dip my 4 month old son's binky in whatever it is they are drinking and it just so pisses me off...The other day my dad did it with banana shake made with cow milk, condensed milk and tons of sugar...I told him to please not do that then my 13 year old tells me that when i walked away he did it again mind you about 30 minutes later he's having expresso coffee ok..and he tells me oh let me dip his binky I said Listen if you want me to visit you do me a favor and respect that my son only drinks BM I dont want him tasting anything else and who in the world gives a child expresso to try??? I mean come on, Its no wonder my older brother was a hiper child he probably used to do that with him...You know I wont be leaving my son with them God knows if they would give him formula instead of my BM and baby food...they only bought me a bunch of baby food jars the other day they want him to start solids already, they are dying for me to stop nursing so I can leave my LO with them while i run errands & such "I THINK NOT" They mean well but their old fashioned ways just dont convince me...I wish they were a bit more supportive about my breastfeeding and respected my wishes so I wouldnt have to feel like I'm their parent telling them what they can and cannot do...they dont understand this is my son they had theirs and raised him their way now its my turn to raise mine my way.

I was at MIL today and DH father stopped over (they are divorced). We were eating desert and he tried to let my two month old taste a strawberry. Let me say if you want to feed your infant solids I am ok with that thats not my choice and others should be respectful. I politely asked him not to and he says "oh but she just wants a lick" I then stood up and loudly said "DO NOT feed MY baby" and MIL told him to stop before he made me upset. I was upset, I am still upset. Why do people not respect the parents? If I say no then just bug off. ughh rant over. I am really glad I stuck up for myself and my baby since when Cadence was an infant it was really hard to stand up to people (had her at 17 and did not want drama I guess...idk).

btw I have been bothered by FIL all day so if I seemed to harsh that really might be why haha

Uurrg!!!! This makes me so mad too! My cousin and I were just talking about this the other day. My ex's dad always wants to give my DS rib bones to chew on, and her MIL is always sneaking her LO fry bread and all kinds of stuff. One time my grandma even tried to give DS a french fry!
    My guy is almost 7 months now and I am starting BLS, but I still don't want people giving my baby whatever they feel like! Rant over. LOL.
    Hello! I'm Alayna, mama to Lennon Born November 18, 2008

Peace!