Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: dehydration= constipation?

Default dehydration= constipation?

I had a post earlier entitled "oh, poop!" where I asked if solids were making my son constipated. I got some feedback that solids, esp bananas and rice cereal, were probably the culprit. I took my son off solids for almost a month and let his bm's get back to normal. I reintroduced solids last week, only peas and pears which are very high in fiber, and his bm's are already much thicker and he grunts and seems to strain a little to get them out. He's almost seven and a half months old, so I feel he's plenty old enough for solids. Now I'm wondering if he could be dehydrated and this could be causing the constipation. It's not full on constipation yet this time but I don't want to wait untill it is because then he is miserable. He hasn't been nursing great as it is lately,very distractable and much shoter sessions. So could he be low on fluids? I thought that bf'd babies didn't need another source of fluids? I've tried giving him water, he'll take it in his mouth but pretty much spits it out. Any ideas?

Default Re: dehydration= constipation?

could be is his pee clear and not smelly?

hm, I haven't noticed it being yellow or smelly, that would be a sign of dehysration, right?
    I also have to ask if it is normal for nursing sessions to get shorter at this age, some of them are almost half as short as they were previously, 5 min on each side instead of 10? Is that normal for his age? He's still nursing at the same time intervals, about every three hours.

yup..
    It sounds like he is nursing well.
    Can you get him to drink water from a cup?
    Sometimes adding a little water helps.

My dd couldn't have more then 1/2 a bannana in a day or she would/does have troubles pooping.

How frequently is he pooping? Does he grunt and strain for a while or just while actively pooping? What is the consistency of the poop, pebbles or more like peanut butter/playdoh? Their poop does get thicker when they eat solids and yes being dehydrated could add to constipation issues. I would just keep offering the solids, offer water in a sippy cup and monitor his wets.
    Some other foods to try that are higher in fiber are barley, quinoa, whole wheat pasta, prunes. The prunes usually work for us in about 5 hours or so if I can get one whole stage one container into her. Prunes are the only commercial baby food I buy, she will not eat homemade ones. Go figure.
    My ped said some things to watch for are - pain while having a bm or trying to have a bm, blood in the stool or diaper, or decreased appetite/intake.
    I'm not sure if I linked you to these websites before - Dr Sears, wholesomebabyfoods.com.
    DD (7/23/08) self weaned at 17 months
    DS (6/20/10) nursing like a champ

He's been pooping almost everyday which is more than normal but it's a little thicker than a peanut butter consistancy. I just wanted to make sure it is normal for bm's to get a little thicker and he only grunts when he is actively pooping. I'm just concerned because of his previous solids/ constipation issues. I'll offer water, he does drink better from a regular cup than from a sippy, and keep him eating high fiber foods. Thanks for the websites and the input!

It sounds like he's ok for now. Just remember if all else fails to bring on the prunes! I think my DD eats more prunes than my 90 year old grandma!
    DD (7/23/08) self weaned at 17 months
    DS (6/20/10) nursing like a champ