Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping and sleeping through - long intro - lots of detail

Default Pumping and sleeping through - long intro - lots of detail

Hi

To keep things brief I will say I pump exclusively as my 3 month old was born requiring major surgery and he has never been able to latch for reasons of his own - bless him.

My milk supply was severely compromised in the first 10 days of his life and while I am currently producing approx 1 litre per day he is drinking 900ml per day so i don't have a whole lot of margin to play with and it is only in the past couple of weeks that even this margin has appeared, due to overdosing on herbal supplements.

I am not on any medications at all, so this will nt be affecting supply.

I pump 7 times in a given 24 hour period - down from 8 day as my son doesn't nap any more and I simply couldn't keep it up and function as a human being (eg eat, wash, take my baby out) and while I am still going stir crazy at least i do have a small window of opportunity to get out of the house on occasion and get to appointments, etc! I do still tr my son at the breast but as it takes an hour to feed him and wind him when you add another 30 - 45 minutes to empty my breasts and wash and sterilise the expressing kit, ant suckling time is a large drain on my limited time resources. Formerlyly, my son would feed about every 3-3.5 hours regardless of it being day or night: I have noticed over the past week, however that it is getting longer between feeds at night. He still feeds every 3 hours during the day

I have religiously stuck to the 1am-3am window of pumping since re-eestablishing supply as this is best for the stimulation/demand loop, but this is simply because he goes from"sleeping baby" straight to yelling "feed me baby" which obviously wakes me up. I am still waking up "on demand" but as this is now 30 minutes later than normal it is pushing at the far far end of the "golden time" for milk production.

I do have a partner but he works long hours and is often away from home on business and I don't have any social contacts in the area as we moved here recently. My family lives more than 3 hours away so I don't have anyone i can ask to cover a feed or two during the day while I pump more frequently during the day

If I had not had issues with supply at the beginning I don't think I would be too worried - after all this would happen if I was suckling my boy anyway - but am all too aware that a dodgy supply early on can leave me more open to problems later on.

I would dearly love to maintain (at least) my supply for the next 3 months (weaning will at least give more leeway) so any tips would greatly be appreciated.

I have tried contacting my local LLL rep but she has not responded to several voicemails and emails so I haveno idea what to do. Should I set an alarm (would that wake baby?) andpump early in the morning or shoudl I just accept that my supply may dwindle (I think it is already to be honest) and pray that the 100ml margin is enough to see me through the next 3 months?

Thanks

cxxxxx

Default Re: Pumping and sleeping through - long intro - lots of detail

*bump*

I don't have any great advice, but I wanted to give you a and tell you that if you pm (private message) me I'd be glad to give you the phone # of my LLLeader - she's happy to talk to anyone, anywhere, and she's great!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

I don't have direct experience with EP but my SIL did it for 10 months with her first and I know that when baby began to sleep more, she did too -- then in the AM when she got up she had a lot of milk, like 14 oz.) to pump. She's 5' tall and like 85lbs. by the way.

Anyway, I wanted to offer that you may not need to wash and sterilize all pumping parts after each pumping (unless there is some continued medical issues with your baby). Butm there are several moms who, when they pump at work, just put all the parts etc. into a plastic bag and then put that into the fridge and then take it out and use it right away for the next session. Then they only wash the stuff once a day. For me, I only sterilized twice in 2 years... but again, I am not sure if there is some other reason why you have to sterilize.

Can you pump more by pumping again while feeding too? I know at work sometimes I pumped for 45-60 min and had several let downs during that time...

That's all I have for now but wanted to congratulate you on your success thus far.

Thanks for the info re not sterilising pumping kit:-)

My bairn has a large VSD which while stable atm does make him a tad more vulnerable to infection. Also having had to look after him in hospital for the first three weeks of his life the whole sterilisation routine was pretty well drummed into me ;-DD

Thanks for the info about your SIL - I am just paranoid because it took so much effort to get my supply to where it is right now.

Cheers

Cxx

Also I can't feed and pump as I can't breastfeed at all. The baby still knows what he should do but I just can't get the co-ordination to get him on (and I have tried lactation consultants, midwives, etc and it is me not the baby who is hopeless) means I have given up on the whole "direct from breast" thing. So it is a case of pump then feed then cram chores then start again. There is no physical way i could bottle feed and pump at the same time to be honest.
    Last edited by @llli*cauda; June 25th, 2009 at 01:40 AM. Reason: Thought of more info

Hi,
    I've been EP for 11 months. I plan to go until my daughter is a year old. I agree, there's no need to wash your pumping parts after every pump. I have a mini fridge upstairs and I just place everything in there between parts. I wash the parts right before bed. Also, hands free bra was a life-saver for me. I just cut 2 small holes in an old yet sturdy bra. The holes are big enough for the flange to fit through but small enough so the breastshield can't come out. Then that gives me 2 hands to type or play with baby. I have the Medela PISA backpack version so when my dd was a newborn, I'd hook up the pump, put it on my back and carry dd throughout the house. You'd be amazed at how much you can get done while pumping at the same time. I've folded laundry, put dd to bed, carried her around, put cloth diapers together...the list goes on and on. You just do what you have to do. Let me know if you have any other questions.