Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When to start

Default When to start

My LO is 4.5 months, and I was planning on starting rice cereal around 6months, but everyone keeps telling me to start now. I have heard between 4-6 months to start cereal. What do you all think? I really don't plan on starting veggies and fruits until at least 6-7months.
    Mommy to Lilliana Kristine
    Born Jan 31st 2009

Birth: 6lbs 6oz
    2 weeks 6lbs 6oz
    2 months 11lbs 12oz
    4 months 14lbs 8oz
    6 months 16lbs 7oz

Default Re: When to start

It's up to you. The advice on starting solids is very mixed: some studies show fewer allergies in babies who start solids after 6 months, some show fewer allergies in those who start before. Some doctors advise starting solids before 6 months, most advise starting at 6 months, and some (like mine) say that babies can have solids after 6 months but don't need them until they are over a year old.

When people suggest starting cereals before 6 months, they are often do so because:
    - They assume that breastfeeding is tiring/boring/an unpleasant chore, and that a mom will welcome the chance to cut down on her nursing sessions.
    - They mistakenly believe that breastmilk is "not enough" after a certain point in time (usually a few weeks or months, when in fact it should be a baby's primary source of nutrition throughout the first year).
    - They think that your goal is to wean as soon as possible, and replace nursing sessions with solid food meals as fast as possible.
    - They mistakenly believe that cramming a baby full of solids will help him sleep through the night.

Whenever you do decide to start solids, you should be aware that there is no reason to start with cereal. It is fortified with iron and vitamins, but other that that it's just starch. Many moms start with veggies and fruits.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My pedi told me to start solids at 6 months, she said breast fed babies don't need any solids until 6 monts. so that is probably what I am going to do. I am lucky to have a pedi that supports BF. I didn't realize you could start with a veggie. I always thought you had to start with cereal.
    Born Jan 31st 2009

2 weeks 6lbs 6oz
    2 months 11lbs 12oz
    4 months 14lbs 8oz
    6 months 16lbs 7oz

I can't agree more with the post above... we wait until all the signs of readiness have been met
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

The link in the post above is excellent. My ds didn't start really eating solids until he was about 10 months old, but he's a great eater now! Both of mine are, and we didn't start until 6 months, and we didn't start with cereal!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Our pedi is great....an Air Force doctor, no less!! He told me to use my best judgement and watch for signs of my ds reaching for "people" food. (Also, my ds is a big boy, and although I'm happy to nurse him wherever and whenever, dh wants to help too, so this was a nice way to get daddy involved.) My ds is 5 months old and we've been giving him solids for about a week now.

I will point out that it's not uncommon for some babies to not like runny baby foods. My ds hates it runny, and prefers to have it thick like mashed potatoes. I had to watch him while we were feeding (at first) to make sure he is "chewing" and swallowing. And he always gets to finish his meal off with some "booby juice" when he's done.
    I'm Jerrie Ann....married to Rod (my wonderful Air Force man), and mother to Nora (Dec 30, 1994), Natasha (Feb 11, 1999), and Jack (Jan 12, 2009)....I'm the owner of Jack's Magic Milk Bags!!!

Well I broke down tonight, and gave her some brown rice cereal, very very thin. She got about 1 Tbs. She took it very well, and was eager to keep getting more. She is 19.5 weeks or about 4.5months. She has been waking up every 1.5hrs during the night and I have not slept much. She also has been very fussy, she did cut 2 teeth a few weeks ago. I think my supply may be going down as well. Her diapers are fine but she never seems satisfied. I work and can only pump twice at work. I pump about 8 oz total for the day. She drinks 9 while I'm gone so I pump one extra time at home. I have noticed that I am getting less and less milk. If I pump at home I only get 1/2oz. I pumped 4 times at home today and only got 1.5oz. I used to be able to get 12 oz for the day, and pump at least 3 at home. So now the challenge is to get my supply up, when I gave her the cereal tonight I nursed her 1st, pumped, then gave her the cereal with the very little pumped milk I got. I will see how tonight goes if she is still up all the time, I am not sure I want to keep doing cereal, it seems so early, plus I don't want my supply to drop even more. I am starting on the mothers milk tea, and oatmeal and if that doesn't work I will go for the fenugreek. What do you all think?
    Born Jan 31st 2009

2 weeks 6lbs 6oz
    2 months 11lbs 12oz
    4 months 14lbs 8oz
    6 months 16lbs 7oz

My pediatrician is on my case about iron supplementation to my breastfed baby of 4 months. He was born prematurely and had several gastrointestinal problems that he has gotten over only a couple of weeks ago, during which we had to take him off iron drops and vitamin drops. He is concerned about anaemia which he says is more severe at around 6 months in preemies. How valid is his opinion and shouldn't I delay his solid food intro with iron supplementation until his body is stronger?
    ps he's also milk protein intolerant
    Last edited by @llli*emmanuel.s.mom; June 26th, 2009 at 02:35 AM.

Any luck with increasing your supply? I pump in the a.m. and then before I go to bed - I eat a packet of oatmeal before I go to bed and it makes a difference for the morning session...I didn't eat one last night and I got significantly less this a.m. session - wow, may be a coincidence, but maybe not.

Well cereal has been going well. She really likes it, I still make is pretty thin. My supply comes and goes. I do shift work so it is hard to tell. I always pump, (I pump 10oz average) what she eats (9oz). The problem I am running into now is that I need to pump even more so she has BM for her cereal. In the eves when I work 11a-7:30P She only eats 9oz of BM while I am at work, I am gone for 9.5hrs, and then she gets 1oz of breast milk with cereal in it. She then goes to bed and doesn't always want to nurse until a couple of hours later. Do you think she is getting enough, or should I increase her bottles to 4oz. She drinks 3 3oz bottles while I am gone, it dosen't matter what shift, but when I work eve shift she also gets cereal around 7pm. Her diapers are fine, and she is gaining weight. But she sleeps terrible, I have another post on that.
    Born Jan 31st 2009

2 weeks 6lbs 6oz
    2 months 11lbs 12oz
    4 months 14lbs 8oz
    6 months 16lbs 7oz