Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Q. about Gordon sleep method/naptime

Default Q. about Gordon sleep method/naptime

I have had several Mom's questioning the Gordon sleep method. How does it or does it translate for naps? What are your experiences with the Gordon method for trying to get the all-night nurser to not nurse at night? How long did it take for those of you that extended the time frames?

Thanks for the input.
    Alene
    LLL Leader

Default Re: Q. about Gordon sleep method/naptime

I still have to nurse DS to sleep for naps. It might be possible to get him to sleep other ways but it takes forever and just hasn't been worth it to me since usually nursing to sleep is quick. And occasionly if he doesn't sleep very long I nurse him back to sleep if he wakes up.

I didn't strictly follow his plan for night time. I think I did shorter sleep stretches at first maybe 4 hours with no nursing. And DS was very upset for a few nights. But after he started accepting being told no more milk at night the longer stretches got easier. The whole process probably took 2 months. And even now some 4-5 months later we still haven't been able to eliminate the early morning nursing. On and off from 4-7 am he still nurses.

HTH

Jenn
    Mom to - DD1 10/5/05, DS 6/27/07 & DD2 6/18/09

We just started night weaning with the Gordon method a little over a week ago. It's been going surprisingly well. DS is 21 months. The first night was not too fun, as DS wanted to nurse and kept pulling at my shirt. I told him that the ninnies were asleep, and he got upset because he wanted to nurse. He cried; I cried. Eventually, we went and rocked in the recliner and then cuddled back to sleep in the bed. I think that taking him out of the situation--i.e. his room, where he was used to nursing, all night sometimes--helped him calm down that first night. And I should mention that he was back asleep within an hour of when he woke up. That was a hard night, but as soon as 6 am rolled around, we resumed nursing with no problems. DS really hasn't cried for nursing during the night since the first night. He has accepted that nursing is for the day time and that sleeping is for the night time. He does ask to nurse if he wakes up during the night and he might whine a little, but he is happy with cuddles. So now we don't nurse from 10pm until 6am. I thought before we started the night weaning that he would resist more, but now I know that he needed more uninterrupted sleep just like I did. We both sleep so much better, and we're in much better moods. It was definitely time to night wean.

As far as naps go, we still nurse to sleep if we're together. But, DH can put DS down for a nap with no problems. I'm sure that we'll eventually drop that session, in due time....

It took us around 2 months to be completely night-weaned. That included one illness where I put it on hold for several days. I hovered on the step where you let them nurse but remove your breast before they are asleep for several weeks.

I work, so nap times weren't an issue for me. I continued to nurse down for naps on weekends for quite a while after night weaning.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thanks for the responses. It is what I expected. I think naps are totally different than nighttime. I will pass on the information. Thanks again for the replies!!
    Alene
    LLL Leader