Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 7 month sleeping pattern

Wink Re: 7 month sleeping pattern

I definately agree that if walking away is the safest thing to do because your literally about to lose it..then I would definately agree doing that rather than doing something that could hurt baby!!Or yourself...It all depends on the situation, like everything!
    We just and I am non-stop and we have always and now we are finding our groove with I can't believe it, but I am also and there's alot of going on with Annabella. This mama couldn't be more grateful for the two most important loves of her life, and my natural ability to instinctively follow my heart according to what I later learned as "Attachment Parenting"

Gave birth to a beautiful little girl Annabella

9-25-08

Gave birth to a second beautiful little baby girl Brynleigh

4-30-10

Default Re: 7 month sleeping pattern

I think there's shades of "CIO." For instance, letting a baby fuss for less than ten minutes to see if they'll calm down on their own, versus letting a baby scream for hours.

Sleep and how we handle it is a very personal part of parenting, and seems really emotionally charged...figuring out how to nighttime parent, whether by co-sleeping, NCSS methods, Dr. Gordon's night weaning program, Ferberizing, etc is a really tough issue. It's definitely the thing my husband and I have had the most tension and disagreement on in childraising with our LO. I think we should be a little more gentle and compassionate with the mothers on this board who are trying to negotiate a difficult issue. Telling someone she is neglecting her child because she's trying to figure out how to navigate difficult sleep issues isn't really supportive. I know emotions run high, but I think there are more constructive ways to advocate for a strongly held position.
    Ellen

Mama-surgeon;
    DS Ethan 12/16/2008
    Breast fed/pumped 11 months as a surgical resident, 80 hours a week at work
    DS Abram Daniel 12/20/2012
    Feel like we've gotten a strong start

I have a 4 1/2 month old baby girl. She was a party girl since she was born (of course)...she was my night owl. I had to wake her up every two hours at the beginning due to her jaundice. When she was 2 1/2 month old, she was still my night owl. She'd be awake for four or more hours in the late afternoon and wouldn't go down. I asked the ped what I could do and told me to let her cry and be strick with my schedule. I dreaded it. I didn't want to do it. My husband initiated it and put her down. It was the worse thing I could have ever done. We let her cry for 10 min; I went to get her, changed her pamper and fed her...after that she would fall asleep from being tired of crying until the next day (6am) or once at 3-5am for feeding then she'd go back to sleep. We had to do this for a week after that she was great. I was thankful since I hated to to do this to her. It worked. We all slept longer and were able to play longer in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*eelme.eelme1 View Post
    Some mommas here might not agree with me but I definitely think there is a balance between the CIO method and not letting them cry at all! My second lo was a very needy baby for the first 8 weeks and there were nights when nothing I could do would make her calm down. I had to put her in her crib, close the door, walk away, and calm down - Don't feel guilty if you have to let her cry to get some sleep or some space so that you don't go nuts!
    Lindsay

First time mom to Claire, our April Fools' Day baby!

Hooray for 11 mos and going strong ! I never dreamed I could make it beyond 4-6 months, in the early difficult months! We've made it a year- formula free!

I : I finally gave up : and love being married since 03-05-05!

What a beautiful blessing of God to be able to lovingly nurture your baby in the healthiest way!

*senses a CIO derailment is imminent*

@threadstarter:

dd is 7mos, and also wakes several times throughout the night. you're not alone, mama! i know it's very rough, and i def think that you've touched on something with the "accceptance" attitude making it easier. i found the same thing worked for me.

there are so many things going on at this age to cause waking...developmental changes, learning new things, TEETHING, growth spurts.. b/c i feel crying = a need for my dd, and i choose to meet all of her needs at this young age, i go in to soothe/nurse her when she wakes.

IT WILL GET EASIER! hang in there. but currently here's our schedule@ 7mos: (subject to change every day, lol)

wake: 7-8am
    nap: 10-11am (naptime is 1-2 hrs)
    wake: 12-1pm
    nap: 5-6pm (naptimes is usually 30-40min)
    bed: 8:30-9:30pm

i know this is a lot different than other babies schedules in terms of short nap time and late bed time, but we've done the best we can! sigh..
    Last edited by @llli*marinaew; June 14th, 2009 at 05:40 PM.
    the best food blog you aren't reading

i'm beth, mama to:

lila, 11/6/08, nursed until 2yrs 10 mos, weaned during pregnancy

-and-

max, 2/16/12, my huge new little nursling

NAK

dd is only 6 months old but i thought id chime in with our day:

wake: 7:30-9:30am
    nap:1-2pm(sometimes)
    nap: 6-7pm (sometimes)
    bed: 10:30-12am
    and wakes up at least 8 times after going to "bed"
    First time mom to Kalyna born December 14th 2008

Born: 7lbs 7oz
    Month 1: 8lbs
    Week 5: 8lbs 6oz
    Week 7: 9lbs 5oz
    Week 9: 10lbs 2.6oz
    Week 17: 14lbs 7oz

Nursing a 3.5 year old!
    Love , and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hiranmayii View Post
    NIGHT:
    Nurse to sleep at 7:30/8 PM
    Wakes once to nurse (anytime between 11PM-3AM)
    Nurse again at 5 or 6, might get up then, might snooze another hour.

DAY:
    Nurse for nap around 8/9AM (2 hours)
    2nd nap anytime between 1PM-3PM (2 hours)
    Sometimes a shorter 3rd nap around 5/6PM
    So much better than what we have going on!
    Hello! I'm Alayna, mama to Lennon Born November 18, 2008

Peace!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommyofanangel View Post
    My nephew also was a "product" of the cruel CIO method.. and I believe he is needier than ever for EXTRA love and affection because of the fact that he was ABANDONED during times of need..when he couldn't take care of himself.. sorry hunny.. you insult ME by thinking it's a choice method of teaching your baby to deal with things on his own while he's a tender age of 5 months... poor guy.. I'm sorry if you feel it's insulting that I find it humane and loving to be there when your child needs you, instead of forcing him to fall asleep after enduring hours of endless suffering and lonliness.....Sure it won't KILL your baby...neither would making him starve for 15 hours..but I wouldn't do it just because I'm too busy with myself (sleep) to take care of him. Of course he will still love you...your his only person he has to count on...doesn't mean there won't be underlying issues in his life caused by certain stresses he underwent as an infant. It's like Dr. Sears says... parenting doesn't end at night time.
    My stomach would churn when Annabella was upset at night...I felt the NEED to tend to her, she was needing love and affection, so I feel that there IS an issue someone has call it even lack of compassion when they are just sitting in the other room listening while their baby lays in his room alone crying.. sorry.
    I'm sorry you're so naive and such an angry person. When you wind up hitting your child because you haven't gotten sleep or yelling at your child because you never give yourself a break, you'll understand why any SANE doctor and EVERY experienced mother will say that getting solid sleep and taking a moment to yourself is ESSENTIAL to being the parent your child needs. Needing sleep is NOT selfish, and your child will NOT grow up with abandonment issues. Sounds to me like you have issues of your own. Smothering your child will only cause her to pull away from you later in life.

You are making all mothers who try the CIO method seem like heartless people. And clearly you're opinion won't change. But my son cried for two nights (I came in every few minutes to let him know I hadn't abandoned him) for a total of maybe 15 min. and now he goes down without a word, wakes up smiling, falls asleep smiling..in fact, I rarely see my son without a smile on his face. If you call that the characteristic of a mistreated child, then your definition of the word needs tweaking. My son isn't clingy, he loves me, but he loves everyone. He has no stranger anxiety, and has yet to do anything but smile at anyone to holds him. He is a well-loved, healthy, and happy baby.

You sound like you need professional help if you think sleeping is a selfish action, and that anything you need should come second. There would be a lot more children abused emotionally and physically if everyone took your advice. You will go crazy without solid sleep. I'm sorry, you cannot function emotionally or physically without it. So you can go ahead and say a mother who sleeps instead of running everytime her child cries is selfish. I'd much rather be mentally and physically charged to care for a love my child 99% of the time, then be so tired I'm only going through the motions.

Thumbs down Re: 7 month sleeping pattern

Sounds to me like your a little OVERcharged...
    Sorry your an overly emotional and very sensitive person, and I'm glad that instead of beating your child you let him cry
    I think we have two different ideas in our head, and that's perfectly fine, this is every persons right. I happen to have a high tolerance as to how much I can take..not all do and I am sure that leaving their baby to cry is their last option~unfortunate, but better than the alternative you speak of. And BTW I did clarify that in my opinion it would be better to leave your baby rather then to abuse it..which it sounds like you did so kudos for you. Let's stop wasting this webpage on our meaningless bantering back and forth. Maybe you could take up boxing lessons instead?
    Cheers, too bad you couldn't take that persons advice about dropping this subject that got totally out of control..maybe now you can? I just had to reply once more since you thought I might hit my baby and you know nothing about me, again...I believe you are the one in need of therapy.. (and were probably abused as a child )
    We just and I am non-stop and we have always and now we are finding our groove with I can't believe it, but I am also and there's alot of going on with Annabella. This mama couldn't be more grateful for the two most important loves of her life, and my natural ability to instinctively follow my heart according to what I later learned as "Attachment Parenting"

9-25-08

4-30-10

Red face Re: 7 month sleeping pattern

P.S. Btw..
    No matter what idiotic, demeaning, and very Nasty comeback you shoot back with...I will not be replying, I won't even read this thread anymore. I have said more than I should have already on this matter and will say no further from here. What I said in the first place was MY opinion and that's what we all need to respect about one another..their own opinion. I have really really appreciated having this place to come time after time with my BF issues LO and I have had and I felt pretty upset on here tonight by the way you attacked me...so shame on you..and I guess shame on me for making a bold statement..guess it would have been better done in private so I didn't "offend" a certain few. Sorry for the trouble all.
    Last edited by @llli*mommyofanangel; June 15th, 2009 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Added something

9-25-08

4-30-10