Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 7 month sleeping pattern

Unhappy 7 month sleeping pattern

Hello all! My DS is "napping" currently, and has been for just almost an hour and a half. This would actually be his 4th nap today. He usually takes 3. See, the thing is, he was up and ready for the day at 445 5ish this morning. It seems to be getting earlier and earlier!! He actually stayed up til 6 last night (as opposed to the 530 he has been doing lately) so i thought he might sleep a little later but nope, awoke at 445 and nursed (restlessly) for 15 minutes.

SO as today went on, I estimated he would want to sleep around 430. Way too early, right?! So I figured I would just let him have a 4th nap, and then get him up to play for a bit, then bath and bed. Well, He is just a snoozing away! usually if he sleeps this long this late he does not want to get back up. He will wake back up, boy will he ever, but he will want to go right back to sleep.

I've posted recently about his frequent night wakings. Last night he still woke up all night long, but the first waking i did not need to nurse him back down. I just had to hold him and he layed his little head down on my breast and went right back to sleep. Yay! But that was just the first waking. He awoke about an hour later,and on and on.

I'm trying to just accept it. I find that when I try to change my attitude about his sleeping, or not sleeping, then it is easier. But I still would love for him to only wake up like twice, even just 3 or 4 times, but twice would be heaven!

And of course, I'm having a difficult time listening to certain family members and friends who think I should let my baby CIO. A friend today just got down right rude over the phone, telling me today that my idea of not wanting him to CIO because I didnt want to teach him that either myself or the world is cruel, was unrealistic.

Mamas, I need some love, support, advice...basically anything you can dish out!

Thx!
    alayna
    Hello! I'm Alayna, mama to Lennon Born November 18, 2008

Peace!

Default Re: 7 month sleeping pattern

Forgot to say that DS didnt actually get to sleep until close to 5 tonight. Still so early, but really not too different than last nights 530. I was hoping he would just nap, but its approaching 2 hours so thats doubtful. Guess I'll be up at 430 tomorrow!!!
    I'm trying so hard to work with his cues and natural rhythm hoping we will set into a pattern, which we have, but its just not a pattern i care too much for!

Mamas,
    what is your 7 month olds nap/ sleep pattern?
    or
    What was your babies nap/sleep pattern like at 7 months?

Is it normal that he is only up 2, maybe 2 1/2 hrs before he is ready to sleep again? Should i be keeping him up? Elizabeth Pantley with "No cry" says that usually will backfire, but what are your experiences?

Peace!

Smile Re: 7 month sleeping pattern

Poor people who want to let their baby CIO.. Probably mistreated at some point or another as a child and think it's ok to do to their baby..or someone else's for that matter.. I posted on your last Q so hope you can read it! I don't think it would HURT to try and keep the little guy up during the day more ya know? It wasn't until a couple months ago or so that I got into "sort of a routine" with Annabella, like taking a nap after she gets up in the morning..about an hour after, then after a couple of hours another one..and then maybe one more, but I am trying to keep her from "napping" after 4 because I want her to be able to go to sleep at 7, but sometimes you can't do anything, ya know? When they want to sleep they want to sleep! LOL The other day we were at a restaurant checking out and I was holding her..she had a piece of paper in her hand and started to fall forward with her eyes closed she was so exhausted! Anyway Annabella isn't really in a great pattern either..she does seem to wake up at the same time in the morn' though also, no matter what time she ends up falling asleep the night b4! Eventually she will get into a pattern..and so will your LO, just try and keep rolling with the punches!! Also silly thing but you aren't drinking alot of pop or anything carbonated at night right? Because I notice that alot of sugar or even a can of pop close to bedtime can bother Annabella and give her gas which causes her to wake up.. Luckily we cosleep though so I am able to USUALLY give her the nipple and she'll fall back asleep...sometimes it's not so easy though!
    We just and I am non-stop and we have always and now we are finding our groove with I can't believe it, but I am also and there's alot of going on with Annabella. This mama couldn't be more grateful for the two most important loves of her life, and my natural ability to instinctively follow my heart according to what I later learned as "Attachment Parenting"

Gave birth to a beautiful little girl Annabella

9-25-08

Gave birth to a second beautiful little baby girl Brynleigh

4-30-10

NIGHT:
    Nurse to sleep at 7:30/8 PM
    Wakes once to nurse (anytime between 11PM-3AM)
    Nurse again at 5 or 6, might get up then, might snooze another hour.

DAY:
    Nurse for nap around 8/9AM (2 hours)
    2nd nap anytime between 1PM-3PM (2 hours)
    Sometimes a shorter 3rd nap around 5/6PM
    Nursed for 18 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommyofanangel View Post

Poor people who want to let their baby CIO.. Probably mistreated at some point or another as a child and think it's ok to do to their baby..or someone else's for that matter..
    First off, let me start off by saying that mothers who sue the CIO method were not necessarily mistreated as a child or infant. Your infant should learn to be able to self-sooth at times and there is NOTHING wrong with letting your child dry sometimes. My son was waking up every 2 hours at night until he was 5 months old, and was co-sleeping. I was not getting sleep and NEEDED him to be in his own crib and needed him to sleep better at night.

I did the CIO method, and never has my child been more happy or healthy. I sleep better and he is sleeping through the night. So I find it insulting for anyone to claim that doing this is mistreating your child.

Connor is the happiest, most content, and the most loving little baby boy I have ever met, and anyone who has met my son would say the same. So your negative opinion is unfounded and inconsiderate.

My son's schedule is as follows:
    Wakes up between 7 and 8
    Goes down for his first nap at 10 for 1 1/2 hours
    Goes down for his second nap around 2 for an hour
    Goes down for his third nap at about 4 for another hour or two
    Goes to bed at 8 and wakes up once at 6 to eat and goes back down for another hour or so.

Many mom's, myself included, do not believe in CIO for many reasons. However, I don't believe most mothers do it to mistreat their LOs.

To OP, it sounds to me like your DS has his days and nights a little flip lopped lately maybe. More sleeping and less nursing during the day can mean more waking and more nursing at night. Perhaps trying to stretch the time our that he is awake during the day would help.

My 7.5 month old DD is usually up at 8ish for an hour, then naps 1-2 hours and takes one or two more naps during the day then is ready for bed at 8-9ish.
    Last edited by @llli*sixyearplan; June 14th, 2009 at 12:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    Many mom's, myself included, do not believe in CIO for many reasons. However, I don't believe most mothers do it to mistreat their LOs.

To OP, it sounds to me like your DS has his days and nights a little flip lopped lately maybe. More sleeping and less nursing during the day can mean more waking and more nursing at night. Perhaps trying to stretch the time our that he is awake during the day would help.

My 7.5 month old DD is usually up at 8ish for an hour, then naps 1-2 hours and takes one or two more naps during the day then is ready for bed at 8-9ish.
    I don't do the CIO method because my beliefs are that when a baby cries, it's their only form of communication, and they are communicating a need. And to me, wanting to be held or rocked to sleep or even nursed to sleep, is a need. My DD is a trusting(as in I will respond to her whenever she needs something) and happy baby because we choose to not let her CIO. This is a good link that correctly expresses my views on frequent night wakings in BF babies and why CIO isn't always the best.

ITA with the flip-flopped schedule. Even though I nurse on demand, DD has bent to whatever schedule we make. She takes her boobie on the go! Maybe your DS could stay awake longer during the day if he was out of the house for most of the day? It might make for a fussy LO until he gets adjusted, but it might work to get him accustomed to daytime=awake.
    Courtney
    Ever 06.26.02
    Lyric 12.26.08 (Holy sheep! Nursing at 30 months and counting!)

Breastmilk is better than any udder milk! ~Author Unknown

Well, when I was speaking with my CIO advocate friend over the phone yesterday I was trying not to say anything that would offend her or make her think i was attacking her methods. i just politely kept saying, no i'm not going to do that, CIO is not a philosophy i agree with, etc...But SHE kept attacking my philosophy and my belief, as though she were the most right person in the world when it comes to babies sleep. yes, she is WAY more experienced than myself, she has a 5 and 3 year old. but still, i thought she was being rude. so finally i told her i thought it was cruel...

no i dont think she or any other mamas who CIO are trying to hurt their LOs, but there are plenty of mamas and drs out there who feel that we dont really know what CIO does to a little baby! I just dont want to go from a loving ritual of nursing to sleep to sorry kid, im not gonna nurse you, im not even going to touch you, just lay in the dark, cry, and learn to self- soothe!!

But anyways, i wondered if my DS had his days and nights confused. but he doesnt want to play when he wakes up at night. he definitely wants to go back to sleep.

We have been home bound since day 1 because I havent had a car, but I finally got one yesterday! yay! so maybe i will try that idea about getting out and about more and keeping him awake. Its justso confusing because in NO cry Sleep SOlution Pantley is very serious about putting them to sleep as soon as they show signs of being tired. and he will just start rubbing away on those eyes!!

One more tid bit. i noticed on alot of your LOs sleeping schedules they go to sleep and hour or so after they wake up in the morning. Lately, we head to the track for a stroll shortly after waking (and playing some) and so sometimes he is up 2 1/2 3 hrs before his first nap. Today I skipped the track to watch when he would get tired. and lo and behold he was rubbin eyes and actin tired after 1 hour. so he is sleeping again now....maybe this will help....?

Thanks again mamas for all your responses! and i totally can see the point CIO advocates are making. i know he does need to learn to sleep on his own. I'm just trying to be patient and go at his pace rather than force it on him in a possibly traumatic way.

Peace!

At seven months 2.5-3 hours is a long stretch to go in the morning without the first nap. However, I put my DD in the jogger in the morning frequently and she napped in the jogger pretty well.

With the lights out in the middle of the night he may know that it is sleepy time but his body still keeps waking.

How often is he nursing during the day? If he is not nursing often during the day, then he may just be trying to get those calories in. Didn't you say in another post that he is too distracted to nurse well? That is VERY normal. That was why I suggested nursing lying down at nap time. It's was an easy way for me to get my DD to focus and nurse. Yes, she does want me to be like her pacifier when she sleeps at night too, but I was prepared for that. Alternatively you could try nursing in a sling. I do that when we are out and DD won't focus on nursing.

A couple other things that are big contributors to night waking at this age are teething and developmental milestones. My DD was up all night fussing and nursing the night before she started commando crawling.

http://www.kellymom.com/parenting/sl...epstudies.html

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...ible-baby.html

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/teething.html

Just want to add that there is a middle ground between the CIO method and totally bending to baby's whims overnight...Pantley's No Cry Sleep Solution was an excellent compromise between myself (feeding whenever DS made a peep) and my DH, who leans more towards a CIO approach. Before enacting her strategies, we were going down around eight pm and waking four or five times before six am. Now, it's twice.

We've also found a lot of success with a pretty consistent routine during the day.

Up at six, nap by eight (1-2 hours depending on his mood)
    Play play play (lots of activity) til 1-2, then a 2-3 hour nap.
    Lots of activity in the evening (though we try to make it more mellow, with books, walks, etc), bed by 7:30 -8:00

Then a wake-up/feed at 12-1 and 3-4.

It's working for us right now...just wait until DS decides to change!!
    Ellen

Mama-surgeon;
    DS Ethan 12/16/2008
    Breast fed/pumped 11 months as a surgical resident, 80 hours a week at work
    DS Abram Daniel 12/20/2012
    Feel like we've gotten a strong start