Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: help!!

Default help!!

let me do a back ground before i get into my problem.

when i got pg with DS#1 i was sure i was going to BF and i started out and at 2 weeks, we got thrush and it got too painful and so i stopped BF and went to Formula. i was really depressed for the formula bc i really wanted to BF and its what i had my mind set too..by the time we got free and clear, my supply wasr unning low and i couldn't get it to up at all, so i kept up with the formula..

k, fast forward until now. DS#2, who is almost 4 wks.

i've been ebf except for when i'm out and i try to pump once a day for a bottle for DH and suddenly my supply has decreased! they don't feel full at all! and normally k know when i need to nurse bc they get full after an hour 1/2 and by 2 hours, i need to have him nurse and he eagarly takes it.. i've been doing one side then alternating the next time... i'm tryinmg to get my supply back up, i drink plenty of water, i'm eating decently, so i'm worried my supply has stopped moving along! i really want to BF and stick to it for at least 6months to 1 yr depending on how teething period goes.. and i need help getting my supply back up!

also, i stopped bleeding at 2 wks after having ds #2 , and now i think i'm bakc on my AF.. could that be my probleM>???

any ideas as to why my supply suddenly dropped and if it is bc of AF, how to i get it back up?

Default Re: help!!

It's normal for your breasts to not feel "full" after you've been nursing for a while. Many moms start out with some degree of engorgement/oversupply, which means there's more milk being made than the baby is eating. Every time the baby leaves some leftover milk in the breast, the body gets the message that the extra milk isn't needed and it reduces production a bit. After a while your supply regulates itself to meet your baby's needs very precisely, without a lot of extra milk left over to give you that "full" feeling.

If you are concerned about your milk supply, the best way to gauge production is to count diapers. Good diaper output = good milk input.

also, i stopped bleeding at 2 wks after having ds #2 , and now i think i'm bakc on my AF.. could that be my probleM>???
    If you EBF and only 4 weeks postpartum, the bleeding is probably lochia, which generally lasts around 6 weeks.

AF can make your supply dip a bit, but if you feed on demand the decrease will not be permanent. Your baby will feed more frequently in order to make up for getting less milk per feeding, and after a few days of frequent nursing your supply will rebound.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Try not to worry about not having enough milk. Milk supply is based on demand. If you keep nursing the milk will keep coming. If baby is still asking to nurse, still growing, still peeing and pooing, then your all good. What you feel isn't always a good indicator. Some women get the full feeling and others don't - it's okay.

Also, sometime between 4 & 6 weeks baby will usually have a growth spurt. So he will nurse much more often, and sometimes you'll feel like you don't have enough milk. But when baby is allowed to nurse often, his "demand" for milk will increase your supply. You can try nursing a few minutes on one side, then switch to the other side, and back again. Alternating sides can sometimes increase your supply in those times.

My biggest piece of advice is to trust your body to do it's thing.

What is it that makes you feel like your supply is low? If LO is having enough wets and poopies a day, and LO isn't fussy after eating, you are probably okay. Explain to me what "go out" means...are you leaving for long periods? If you are going to be gone longer than 2 hours, it's best to pump while you are gone. In order for your body to keep producing BM, you need to be effectively emptying the breast often. Try BF'ing on demand and letting LO comfort suck too. This will up your supply if in fact, your supply is low. The more you supplement, the more you need to pump too or your supply could really dip. Are you still supplementing?
    Courtney
    Ever 06.26.02
    Lyric 12.26.08 (Holy sheep! Nursing at 30 months and counting!)

Breastmilk is better than any udder milk! ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*courtnidge View Post
    What is it that makes you feel like your supply is low? If LO is having enough wets and poopies a day, and LO isn't fussy after eating, you are probably okay. Explain to me what "go out" means...are you leaving for long periods? If you are going to be gone longer than 2 hours, it's best to pump while you are gone. In order for your body to keep producing BM, you need to be effectively emptying the breast often. Try BF'ing on demand and letting LO comfort suck too. This will up your supply if in fact, your supply is low. The more you supplement, the more you need to pump too or your supply could really dip. Are you still supplementing?

going out is like to the movies and a dinner like a date with my DH.

no i'm not supplementing anymore..

Ds hasn't pooped in 3-4 days now.. but wet dipar counts seems good..