Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Twins are here!

Default Re: Twins are here!

Hi there. I'm just wondering how you induced lactation? Had you been pregnant before? My husband and I are currently a "waiting family" (private adoption - waiting for a baby) and I'm trying to get as much information as I can before we get the call. Sounds like you were able to have a good milk supply. I've done a lot of research already and I am a doula so I help other mothers breastfeed. Did you use herbs or drugs? Or did you simply stimulate your breasts through pumping?

Just wanted to say CONGRATS!
    Jaxon (07/13/08) weaned at 27 months
    Alexa and Braxton (11/18/10). My NICU miracles.

http://swallomlife.blogspot.com

"This above all: to thine own self be true" -Hamlet

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I just saw this.

I was in a unique situation because, not only have I never been pregnant, but I could not take the drugs to induce lactation because of my heart problems. I talked to my gynecologist and she was not comfortable with me taking the domperidone that asklenore.com suggests (that is where I first went for information). She suggested I just start pumping as soon as possible. At that point I was 4 months away from becoming a parent. I pumped that whole time. I started out taking herbs, but they gave me heart palpitations, so I stopped them. I truly believe I could have breastfed longer had I been trying to feed only one child. I'm glad I had the short time I did get and the effort was definitely worth it to me.

Congratulations on your impending adoption. I wish you the best in whatever you decide to do.
    Niki
    Expectant mom to twins via surrogacy
    inducing lactation through pumping alone (no meds!)