Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Twins are here!

Default Re: Twins are here!

Sorry to hear that things aren't going as well as we all hoped. Are you using the SNS at all? I know it's tricky but it might help get your son onto the breast more regularly... And don't feel like comfort nursing is wasted- even if the babies aren't getting a huge amount of milk they are getting some, and the comfort and closeness are very important as well.

You're doing a fabulous job!!! You really deserve a big pat on the back for making this attempt. Even if it only lasts a little while, it's still an amazing journey.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I hope things get better soon. You deserve a lot of kudos for all the work you've put in to make this work. Congrats on your little ones.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    try an sns.
    I have one, and I've sort of tried... But haven't been successful at getting the tube and my nipple into their mouths at the same time.
    Niki
    Expectant mom to twins via surrogacy
    inducing lactation through pumping alone (no meds!)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*librarymama View Post
    I have one, and I've sort of tried... But haven't been successful at getting the tube and my nipple into their mouths at the same time.
    I hear you! That d%mn tube can be so tricky. I found that a piece of masking tape helped somewhat- I would tape the tube down so it was held close to the nipple.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Momma I'm sorry your journey is taking a hard road right now. I hope you continue to explore your options and remember that every drop of breastmilk will help those babies. You are doing an amazing job.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

I'm sorry this is so hard for you. When I was having trouble nursing my first lo we hired a lactation consultant to come to my house. She visited me once and then I could call her or go see her in her office anytime I wanted/needed - even after my second lo was born. It only cost us about a month's worth of formula and saved my bf relationship with both babies. Do you think you could find someone like that near you?

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

I came do a decision. The LC told me I had to pump every time the babies eat and take the herbs (even though I told her I had heart palpitations before) in order to build up my supply. It became too much. I felt like I wasn't actually spending any time with my babies and putting too much on my husband during the 8-12 times a day that I was pumping. It was stressing me out and therefore my babies weren't interested in eating from me. On Thursday we spent the day at my MIL's house and I was just so tired of stopping everything to go pump for 20 minutes, missing out on seeing my family interact with my children. So I didn't pump. And the world didn't come to an end.

The babies ate from their bottles (my frozen milk from before they were born) and I was much happier. And my daughter even nursed from me a couple of times, after she ate from the bottle and was pretty close to full. In the days that followed my son turned to me for comfort nursing when nothing else would console him.

It's not what I originally wanted, but I think it's what is best for us. I know I've given them a good start and now I plan to make sure they get all my attention from here on out.
    Niki
    Expectant mom to twins via surrogacy
    inducing lactation through pumping alone (no meds!)

Mama, congrats on your new babies! You are giving them the best start to life by breastfeeding them. It can be frustrating to put so much effort into BFing only to see your baby is not as interested as you are.

It is MUCH easier to use a feeding tube than an SNS IME. You can get some from your LC/IBCLC/pedi. Cut the "cap" off and cut the top of a nipple on a bottle to allow the tube to go through. Make sure the end is in the milk. Using paper tape (can find in the first aid area of any big box store, like for IV's) tape the tube onto your breast allowing for the tubes hole to come down just past your nipple. Latch baby on then slip the tube in the very corner of their mouth. Babies suction will cause the milk to come out through the tube, while increasing your supply naturally because all needs are being met the breast. If the bottle is lower than baby the flow will be slower, if higher the flow will be faster. Adjust as necessary for your LO's. I found using a My Breastfriend pillow worked best for this as there is a handy little pocket that can handle a bottle on the outside of the pillow.

I have high BP and I finally figured out that fenugreek was giving me palpatations. As soon as I stopped taking it I felt MUCH better. I am now taking domperidone and have not had any heart problems.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*librarymama View Post
    It's not what I originally wanted, but I think it's what is best for us. I know I've given them a good start and now I plan to make sure they get all my attention from here on out.
    It never is. Before we have kids we dream about how it's going to be, and the dream NEVER matches the reality, because the reality is always much more challenging than we can ever expect.

I'm glad your decision is one that brings you peace. Your babies have a great mom.

[It's not what I originally wanted, but I think it's what is best for us. I know I've given them a good start and now I plan to make sure they get all my attention from here on out.[/QUOTE]

The important thing is that when you look back at this time you have good memories. The babies being little doesn't last long. They have a great start with the milk you were able to pump and now they will have their mother's undivided attention. I know inducing lacatation is a hard journey and with newborn twins even harder. Congratulations to you and your family on your babies.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Kate
    Wife to Jason
    Mom to Aubrey 4/06 queen
    Mom to Nathan 5/08 Relactated for him and he got EBM for a year
    Mom to Jack 8/11