Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Twins are here!

Default Twins are here!

My twins via surrogacy came into the world on 6/8/09. My daughter was able to latch on soon after birth, which thrilled me beyond belief.

Unfortunately, my son broke his arm on the way out, so he was sent to NICU until an orthopedist could set his arm. While there they gave him a bottle of my EBM (20 ml) and topped him off with formula (10 ml). They also gave him a pacifier with sugar on the tip to sooth him through the pain. I wasn't happy, of course, but couldn't let my baby go hungry or in pain (I couldn't hold him until his arm was taken care of). Fortunately, the orthopedist came pretty quickly and set his arm and he was released to the nursery and I was able to get him to breast. He was great! His suck was even better than his sister's. I was so excited and relieved.

Since then things have been hit or miss. Sometimes they're both great at nursing, and sometimes it seems like they're just playing. I thought my daughter was going to be the one to keep me worried about her eating enough, but it turns out it's my son. She has had plenty of wet and soiled diapers over the last 4 days (which she hates having changed ). And up until yesterday, so did he. But after leaving the hospital yesterday afternoon he has not had any more poopy diapers. I talked to a nurse at the pediatrician's and she said that it wasn't anything to worry about, so I stopped worrying (as much as a first time mom can). But then he stopped having wet diapers as well. He went all day without needing a diaper change at all. He FINALLY had a wet diaper this evening at around 9:00.

So, am I starving my son? Is he getting enough to eat? I'm just so worried that I'm doing something wrong!
    Niki
    Expectant mom to twins via surrogacy
    inducing lactation through pumping alone (no meds!)

Default Re: Twins are here!

Congratulations mama!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Kate
    Wife to Jason
    Mom to Aubrey 4/06 queen
    Mom to Nathan 5/08 Relactated for him and he got EBM for a year
    Mom to Jack 8/11

Congratulations on the new babies! Sorry to hear your son broke his arm! Poor little guy.

Since he's not wetting much, I would definitely take him in to the pediatrician. A new baby can easily become dehydrated, and that can be very dangerous.

Keep us updated! You're doing a great job!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

So they are only 4 days old is that right? During the 1st week of life you are only looking for wet diapers the number of days old they are in a 24hours period. So you said he finally had one last night at 9pm. You need to track it back to 9pm the previous day. Was it only one if that 24hour period of time? Or were there at least two other between 9pm the previous day?
    Whenever you start the tracking, (I always just used Midnight) you need to be counting the whole 24 hour period. Until you get to the week point. And then really it's 6-8 depending on whether on not you use cloth. But in this last 24hour period BEFORE TODAY, you would have been good with 3.
    So was it really only one in the whole 24hours or did you become worried based on only a 10 or 12 hour period?
    AND are they preemies and are you using sposies? Because often even a regular size newborn will pee and it will go undetected in a sposie. While in the hospital with my son twice they had to cut the diaper to tell. And he weighed 8.2 at birth. So if your son is small, you may have missed some pee.

Way too lazy for formula

No advice, just wanted to say congrats!

Loving my Beautiful High Needs Baby Girl born 12/28/06

I also don't really have any advice beyond what PP said, but I wanted to say congrats on your little babies!
    I'm Shannon!
    Single, babywearing, barefoot in the grass mama to 3 wonderful babies!
    Abby 11-25-03
    Terry 9-29-06
    Kate 6-12-08
    and my Jack 11-17-02, gone to God at 11 weeks

"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about."

"I am going to be happy today, though the skies may be cloudy or gray. No matter what comes my way, I am going to be happy today."

Congrats! Shelly gave some good advice and I have one more question, how many times has he fed within those 24 hours?
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

If he went from having more wet diapers in the hospital and then the amount decreasing then I would certainly be concerned as well. Let us know how he does the next day.

Could you explain a bit more about what is going on when he nurses? The frequency he's at breast, does he seem to have a strong latch? Is he getting sleepy?

Also, you should surround yourself with lots of support people! An IBCLC would be great, they can weigh the baby before and after feedings so you have a good idea of what is going on.

If your girl is having enough wets and your boy isn't, probably a latching or sleepy issue. That can totally be worked out. Stick with it momma, your story is VERY inspiring!!!!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

How is everyone doing, mama?
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Not so great. My daughter will occasionally eat from me, but my son pretty much refuses it 98% of the time. Rather than get us all crying, I give in and give a bottle. He had his tongue tie clipped yesterday, and I can definitely tell a difference in his latch (when he does), but he doesn't like waiting for let down and will start fussing/crying if there isn't anything there right away. The only time my daughter will nurse for long is when she's not very hungry, just needing comfort/pacifying.

I have been pumping every time they eat (regardless of if it's from me or a bottle) and I get less than .5 oz. That's half of what I was getting BEFORE the kids came. I've started taking Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle again (hopefully I won't have the heart palpitations I had last time), and I'm drinking enough Mother's Milk Tea to float away. It's just not working.

I'm trying very hard not to give up entirely (my husband has been a HUGE support), but it's difficult. They still get only breast milk, since I have 4 months worth of frozen milk (though we're going through it like crazy). It will probably only last us a month. After that, I guess we'll just have to go to formula. I'll continue pumping as long as I can, but I don't think I'll be able to keep up.

Thanks for asking.
    Niki
    Expectant mom to twins via surrogacy
    inducing lactation through pumping alone (no meds!)