Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Domperidone & Foremilk/Hindmilk

Default Domperidone & Foremilk/Hindmilk

How does domperidone affect the foremilk/hindmilk balance? I know that our bodies adjust to how much milk our child needs and with domperidone it increases the milk. So does this mean the baby gets a lot of foremilk? Do you have to experiment with the medication to find out how much you need to take so you don't get engorged?

Thanks
    Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Default Re: Domperidone & Foremilk/Hindmilk

I haven't experienced any engorgement on Reglan or Dom, just a boost.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

I did have engorgement, and since I am EP'ing, I noticed I had to pump for much longer to get a balance in the milk. I didn't even start off on the highest recommended dose either, I think I just had a very good response to the Dom. I even got a couple plugs there in the beginning again!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I started on the lowest dose (90mg) and eventually over a period of 4 weeks went up to 160mg. I would see how 90 works and then work your way up from there. I never experienced any engorgement or plugged ducts. The whole foremilk/hindmilk issue isn't something I really thought about I figured it would just even itself out properly to suit LO's needs and it was never an issue.
    First time mom to Kalyna born December 14th 2008

Born: 7lbs 7oz
    Month 1: 8lbs
    Week 5: 8lbs 6oz
    Week 7: 9lbs 5oz
    Week 9: 10lbs 2.6oz
    Week 17: 14lbs 7oz

Nursing a 3.5 year old!
    Love , and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    I did have engorgement, and since I am EP'ing, I noticed I had to pump for much longer to get a balance in the milk. I didn't even start off on the highest recommended dose either, I think I just had a very good response to the Dom. I even got a couple plugs there in the beginning again!
    DITTO! I spent Sunday massaging out 2 plugged ducts...first time ever

And 160mg, WOW, really? I take 50mg/day and I'm swimming in milk. I went from pumping 9ozs to pumping 18ozs on just 50mg/day....and that is all that I need...3 6oz bottles for her.

Lyn, did I miss that you were having supply issues?
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

My supply is always teetering. I'm not sure why. I'm fighting a sinus infection and I've noticed less wet diapers in Lucy. Fenugreek is having no effect even though I got the seeds instead of the tea and am also combining it with blessed thistle.

Will see her weight gain today and make some decisions. Its hard having skinny babies because of the comments, etc. But I know Daniel eats a ton of solids and is still tall and skinny. So its their body types. But it gets discouraging.
    Lyn

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*danlynclark View Post
    My supply is always teetering. I'm not sure why. I'm fighting a sinus infection and I've noticed less wet diapers in Lucy. Fenugreek is having no effect even though I got the seeds instead of the tea and am also combining it with blessed thistle.

Will see her weight gain today and make some decisions. Its hard having skinny babies because of the comments, etc. But I know Daniel eats a ton of solids and is still tall and skinny. So its their body types. But it gets discouraging.
    Hang in there. Its frustrating to think that our bodies can fail us somehow when we are doing our part...but that's when the meds can help. Have your ordered any domperidone, or are you taking any yet?

Ditto on the skinny babies...Joey isn't even that small and I still get the comments.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

mom of two teeny ones and yes it is hard! Just keep watching diaper output and tell people that make comments to stuff it!

Okay, we went to her 9 month appt today. She is 10%ile for weight and 90%ile for height. Its like we put her in a taffy-pulling machine. Or we are grooming her to be a super model. Ped wasn't too concerned as Daniel followed the same pattern. Peds real concern is that if Lucy gets sick, she has no real fat stores to fall back on. And I understand that. Ped is recommended high calorie solids like avocado and hummus. I'm also trying to get more BM in her since she is such a busy little girl. So I'm trying to encourage some quiet nursing in the bedroom during the day.

Considering she took 5 steps in a row today, I'd say she's getting the milk just burning the fat.

Lyn
    Lyn

Five steps Lyn!

Way to go Lucy! But I know how it feels. Roxie is tall and lean...but she never ever stops moving! The only saving grace when she does get sick is that she totally nurses me into an oversupply, so I think they know somehow know, yk?

That seems so early to me for walking. Lucy must want to catch her big bro.
    Last edited by @llli*jessruff; June 13th, 2009 at 02:48 AM.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63