Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Been suggested to take antidepresant

Default Been suggested to take antidepresant

Hello, DD2 is 15mo and ofcourse still BFing. I have been having severe issues with my husband and for that I am seeing a family therapist. I saw her for the first time yesterday. Of course my situation has been of a lot of anxiety due to all that is going on. I feel like sorry for my DDs that have to go through this situation with me. The therapist suggested I see a psycatrist just so that he can prescribe me antidepresant medications and to continue the therapy with her.

I am to the point where I acknowledge that I have neglected my husband over my kids and that is the result of our situation. But I do not want to get into details over this. I want to solve my situation. I am sooooooo against taking antidepresants, at first I told her I would, but then thinking about it I am really scared. I do not want to create a dependency on them and I dont want to relly on them to solve my situation. Yes I have anxiety, yes I cry a lot, but it is all due to the issues with DH which hopefully we can resolve without medication.

I would like to know if there is anyone out there that takes medication and how it has been better or worse, and how it has afected the BFing relationship. I want to make an educated decision if I start taking them.

Thank you for all your suggestions.

Jenny Bertha, Living in Guayaquil, Ecuador

Mommy to
    Ilona born 8-20-2005
    Mia born 2-25-2008

Default Re: Been suggested to take antidepresant

Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

I sort of lost it when I had my son, not right away but about 4 months afterwards. For me it was trying to do too much too soon, and I suffered from horrible anxiety. I did take Zoloft for about a year afterwards, but after several months I had some side effects. It made me feel very tired and I gained back about 10 pounds which I could not get rid of until I stopped taking the medication. Zoloft is okay for breastfeeding moms, very little if any is secreted into the breastmilk.

Now later down the road I learned some other things that I'm going to try first after #2 is born before I take an antidepressant again. Vitamins and herbs: fish oil, B6, Vitex (hormone stabilizing herb) are the three that helped me.

Plus talk therapy is much more beneficial than any kind of medication!!!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

THank you for your replies, this just confirms my instict not to take the antidepresant.

I wonder if St. Johns Wort would help, will do a bit of resarch on that.

Thanks for the support. Knowing i am not alone helps me cope a bit.

Jenny

Jenny Bertha, Living in Guayaquil, Ecuador

Mommy to
    Ilona born 8-20-2005
    Mia born 2-25-2008

I am a marriage and family therapist - don't know if that makes me more 'expert', but I will weigh in on this.

I think that sometimes AD's are definitely called for, especially if you are feeling so bad that you think you cannot work with talk therapy until your anxiety and/or depression is more under control. HOWEVER, I very strongly believe that talk therapy is ultimately what helps to dissolve issues. If you don't work through a problem, it will still be there when the AD's are discontinued.

Personally, I would be slightly suspicious of any therapist that suggested meds at the first visit. Unless you are actively suicidal/homocidal, I think it would be pretty difficult to discern in ONE session that you needed meds.

Good for you realizing your part in the problem and taking steps to make things better for your family and your kids. You are very brave and must love them to want to be a better wife and mom.
    Mommy to DS - 12/29/2007 and DD - 4/11/2010
    We are taking tandem nursing day by day

Here is some information about herbal treatments for depression.

Good luck mama.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I definitely agree with the pp's--antidepressants are serious business that the chemicals in your brain. I took them for a few years just out of high school (for serious chemical imbalances), and I had side affects that lasted about 2 years AFTER I stopped taking them (btw--the culprit was Zoloft). I know I really needed them at the time, and they did they're job but I wouldn't recommend them at all, unless they're REALLY, really necessary. Talk therapy is the best way to start.
    's to you though, mama. You're a strong lady for knowing what you need to do in order to make a better life for you and your family.

Punky
    Mommy to L - May 7, 07' , B - February 7, 09' , and R - August 18, 12'

I suffered from PPD after DD was born. I was really against taking any sort of medication, even though my doctor prescribed Paxil for me.

I did manage to work through things w/o medication. So it can be done. I think it really depends on your situation, which only you know. I think sometimes there's a good reason to take medication, at least for a few months. I know, for instance, if I had severe depression and couldn't function at all, I would start with medication.

I think its great that you found a therapist, reaching out for help is a sign of strength and will set you on the road for recovery.

What worked for me was cognitive therapy. I had mild depression for many years before having PPD and for me, learning to recognize patterns of negative thinking was key. The book Feeling Good was very helpful to me.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

I don't have any expert advice but my DH and I are really into natural health and have done a lot of reading about it. DH is prone to stress/depression/tiredness, etc. due to his personality type and the his career. He takes fish oil, cod liver oil, and flax oil everyday. I also know that B vitamins are good for stress/depression. If you are nursing how much sleep are you getting? sleep deprivation was the #1 cause of my ppd, anxiety, marital problems, etc. that I've had on and off after my babies were born. As soon as i started getting more sleep things got better. Hope that helps!

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

I'll share my antidepressiant story I don't know if it will help you or not.
    When I was much younger I was married, long story short he left me I was so sad that it was affecting every part of my life. I had been talking with a therapist for over a year. She then told me that she didn't think she could help me and that I needed to go to the psycatrist and she thought I needed drugs...
    This is the way the appointment went down
    He asked me how old I was and other health questions, and then he asked me to count backwards by 7's.
    What the heck I said... I couldn't do that when I wasn't depressed!
    It was sort of like the straw that broke the camels back.
    I was done! I took the prescription home and ripped it up.
    IT just took me a long time to work through my fealings and let that jerk of an X go.
    after that appointment I was still sad from time to time but not like I was before. MY X wasn't a bit sad he was busy making babies with other ladies.
    I didn't need that in my life.
    Anywas if you feal like you don't want to take the meds listen to your body!