Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: All so new and overwhelming . . .

Default Re: All so new and overwhelming . . .

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ooligator View Post
    Hi, I just wanted to let you know you're not alone. I had my daughter 10 weeks early by emergency c-sect, and she spent 7 weeks in NICU, during which I was expressing up to 8 times a day to produce milk to tube feed her. She began to attempt breastfeeding at about 35 weeks gestation, but would tire very easily, so would get top ups by tube. We eventually brought her home once we'd switched to top ups by bottle. Some hospitals send the prems home still on tube top ups, but not the one I went to. As I didn't live near the hospital, and couldn't be there for every feed, we went the bottle top up route, so she could come home fully suckle feeding. We didn't suffer with nipple confusion which was a relief, as it is something I was worried about.

The thing I did to help when expressing was to spend skin on skin time with my baby, even if she wasn't feeding. This was mostly in the hospital.

Once we got home, I dropped the top ups after about 2 weeks and went to demand feeding during the day, with bottle EBM at night, and then went to exclusively breast fed by about 2 months after we brought her home. I did pretty much end up wearing my baby a lot of the time, which in your situation will be a lot harder with other children. Front packs or wraps are good for this.
    Congrats on your little one. When was your baby born? How old is she now? How are things going? My son was also born 10 weeks early - it's always nice to meet others who have been in similar situations, even if it's only an online meeting!
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenniebean5 View Post
    Congrats on your little one. When was your baby born? How old is she now? How are things going? My son was also born 10 weeks early - it's always nice to meet others who have been in similar situations, even if it's only an online meeting!
    Hi Jenniebean. My daughter will be 12 months old on the 2nd July. I can't believe how much she's grown. You'd never know she was prem to look at her. Developmentally she's still delayed, is doing most things a 9-10 month old would do, but there's nothing to worry about. She was a good size for being born at 30 weeks, 3lb 11oz, so size has never been her problem!

The time in NICU was very tiring, thankfully she's our first, so we didn't need to juggle older children as well. Though if/when we have another, it's most likely to be prem too, so we'll get that fun then!

Sounds like your boy is going well

One positive thing I think with a prem, is you get your baby for longer. They don't grow up developmentally quite so fast.

Default I made it!

Yep, I MADE IT! I just wanted to let you guys know that I made it. Transferred bottles to nursing full time now. Whew. I was all messed up and felt like seriously about to giving up. With your words of support -- "YOU CAN DO IT" and attended one of the breastfeeding support group at the hospital helped me feel more positive. The thought of doing pumping full time, dealing with frozen/thawing milk and bottles and all - encouraged me enough to make it happen, too. I knew if I didn't try hard enough, I'd regret. So, whew! I made it! THANKS! Orrin, my lil mouse, is doing incredibly well. I just weighed regular scale and he's almost 10 lbs!

Few things though...

I was so focused on nursing him full time... I forgot all about the vitamins that premies must take. Stopped for now about 1 1/2 week now. So, eh? Should I keep up with it? It has to be mixed with milk and bottle? What will happen if I stop?

I'm curious - growth spurts - do I follow his ... birthdate or due date age? I'm still confused with how to say it. He's now 2 and half months old, 6 weeks early meaning 1 1/2 months adjusted. Did I get that right? His birthdate was 4.18.09. Due date 5.28.09. I still have trouble explaining to folks.

How often should Orrin poop? I noticed he doesn't poop much. Pees plenty. Poops not as often as before when he was bottle-fed? Makes me feel like he has problems with his stomach or something?

Again, thanks! I feel better, so glad I made it through - feels good to nurse him - I feel normal - just like I did with other two. sending hugs your way!

Proud Momma of 4
    Megan 15 (step daughter)
    Raven 5 1/2
    Mason 2 1/2
    Orrin (6 weeks early) - 2 1/2 mos now (4.18.09)

Congratulations! Such a good feeling isn't it

My DD2 was born 12 weeks early. After a 12 week stay in the NICU and LOTS of pumping I was sure that I was going to give up if she didn't get the hang of nursing. But she did

I don't have good answer about the vitamins, just that I did the same thing. I never gave them to her after we stopped doing bottles She has never been sick, and is doing great, but I'm not really sure that is the best idea though

As for the growth spurts for me it is weird because most things didn't follow her real or adjusted age. It's like she is always playing catchup and the line between one and the other is blurred. I really try not to think about it too much, because it makes me a little crazy to not be able to say "oh this is a six week growth spurt.

Abby pooped every diaper at the hospital, but once she came home it was about every three days. Now it's once a day most of the time. It just varies so much when they are little. As long as it's not hard when he goes.

So happy for you
    Hi, I'm Lisa, mommy to:
    *Emily Grace 12-13-06.weaned with at 3 1/2
    *Abigail 9-12-08 born at 28 weeks 2lbs 13oz-Now my 2 year old nursing chunky monkey
    Nursing after a 12 week stay in the NICU

:

Congrats on nursing exclusively! It is an awesome feeling!

As far as the vitamins...my son's neonatologists said, and pediatrician confirmed, that it's really important for preemies to get vitamins that have iron in them because they weren't able to "store up" iron during the last few months in the womb, which is what full-term babies do and then use it for the first 9 months outside the womb. I too was mixing the vitamins with milk in the bottles, but now that we don't do bottles either, I give him the vitamins directly into his mouth twice a day and follow with one of the other medications he gets to help with the taste. I tasted them and the are really bitter but he doesn't mind that much and it's over pretty quick.

As far as your little one's age - there's the chronological age (so he's 10 weeks and 4 days or 2 1/2 months) and then there's his adjusted age, which you use his chronological age and subtract about 6 weeks from it (so he's actually 5 weeks tomorrow by using your due date, or little over a month). It is confusing - I no longer keep track of Owen's age in weeks because I was loosing track. Actually, now I only use his chronological age most of the time when someone asks how old he is, and if they say anything else, like comment on his size, I just say, he was born 2 1/2 months early. It is confusing.

As far as the growth spurts and other things, I don't go by any of the "normal" ages for stuff because I haven't found that either his chronological age or adjusted age correlate to anything really. He seems to be somewhere in between. I think this has really taught me to just focus on him as an individual and not look as much for patterns that fit "normal" babies as much.

Congrats again!
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

Congrats! That is awesome!

Actually, now I only use his chronological age most of the time when someone asks how old he is, and if they say anything else, like comment on his size, I just say, he was born 2 1/2 months early. It is confusing.
    As far as age, up until recently I always used his adjusted age when people would say "how old is he" unless they were friends or family and already knew. So people in the store would get his age based on his due date, not his birth date. Now that he is older, I just say his chronological age because he looks like he could very well be 19 months. It drives you crazy in the beginning though because everyone has to comment "oh, he's so SMALL" or of course my favorite "WHY is he so small" Like it's their business right?

I think this has really taught me to just focus on him as an individual and not look as much for patterns that fit "normal" babies as much.
    This is so true. I even went out and bought the Sears Premature Baby Book, which didn't help me at all! Just watch baby....he'll tell you all you need to know!

Way to go mama!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    As far as age, up until recently I always used his adjusted age when people would say "how old is he" unless they were friends or family and already knew. So people in the store would get his age based on his due date, not his birth date. Now that he is older, I just say his chronological age because he looks like he could very well be 19 months. It drives you crazy in the beginning though because everyone has to comment "oh, he's so SMALL" or of course my favorite "WHY is he so small" Like it's their business right?
    I did that a few times and then people would ask, so when is his birthdate and then I felt stupid. It's such a strange thing really. Because of course, I get comments on how he doesn't "look and act" like a 5 1/2 month old either. What are ya gonna do?

And I'm kind of surprised how comfortable people are in asking questions about WHY Owen was born early and the amount of detail they are interested in when I say he was born 2 1/2 mo early. These ladies at the playground were asking all kinds of questions the other day and I wasn't really sure what to say, it's kind of complicated.
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

And I'm kind of surprised how comfortable people are in asking questions about WHY Owen was born early and the amount of detail they are interested in when I say he was born 2 1/2 mo early. These ladies at the playground were asking all kinds of questions the other day and I wasn't really sure what to say, it's kind of complicated.
    I agree. People go WAY past their bounds. If people did ask, I would generally say "we had serious complications and we're lucky to be here" that usually quiets them down because they don't know what to say.

That is why I would just say "Oh, he's a month" when really he was three months, because then people would just smile and be on their way. It did seem a little strange when saying it, but much less strange then having to sit there and explain the whole ordeal.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Yay, great for being fully breastfed now.

Re; the vitamins, our daughter was sent home only with iron, which we'd give her via a syringe straight into her mouth. We didn't actually end up using the whole bottle, as we kept forgetting! As it was meant to be a half an hour before food or an hour after, or something like that. And trying to time this was hit and miss.

Re; the questions about age. Jenniebean has explained it as it works. It's pretty much only medical people or child development people who will ask the corrected age (ie; age if they arrived on their due date). I don't even tell people my daughters corrected age as a rule. Sometimes I do if they're saying "oh, she's not crawling yet, or she's not talking yet, etc" But even with that, she's still in the average developmental range for her corrected and actual age, as all babies develop at such different rates. But people always feel they have to compare your baby to their grandchild, or their neighbours baby, or the kid down the street, etc.

Your baby will develop at their own pace, regardless of being prem.