Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Almond Milk for a Toddler?

Default Almond Milk for a Toddler?

Is it okay for toddlers? DH drinks it because he is lactose intolerant and can't handle soy milk for whatever reason, and DS always wants to drink whatever we have. He LOVES DH's almond milk though. Is it okay to use that for milk for him regularly once I run out of my freezer stash of BM (I stopped pumping months ago due to pregnancy)? He has safely had all sorts of nuts and has tested negative for peanuts/tree nuts in allergy testing.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Default Re: Almond Milk for a Toddler?

I can't see why not. If he's fine with nuts.

I would just give him the unsweetened one if that's not already what you're using (it's the one I use and I love it), since there's a lot of sugar in the others.JM2C.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

If you are looking at it for a substitute for cow's milk, you'll have to compare the fat and protein content of the almond milk. If he is eating cheese and yogurt, then you should be good in that dept, but if there is no dairy at all, just be vigilant on his nutritional intake of other good fats/proteins (avocado, beans, nut butters, meats, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*shannon75 View Post
    If you are looking at it for a substitute for cow's milk, you'll have to compare the fat and protein content of the almond milk. If he is eating cheese and yogurt, then you should be good in that dept, but if there is no dairy at all, just be vigilant on his nutritional intake of other good fats/proteins (avocado, beans, nut butters, meats, etc.)
    Luckily he does get fats/protein from other sources besides milk.. peanut butter, cheese, meat, and he LOVES beans. He eats a pretty good variety of foods. I do cook with a lot of olive and grapeseed oils too. It just seems like he likes the almond milk way better than the cow's milk, so I'm thinking it might be a better transition for him. Right now he gets bottles with mixed breastmilk/cow's milk but he doesn't seem to be a big fan of the cow's milk.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

If his nutrition is well rounded otherwise, then I think almond milk is an awesome alternative. I am not a fan of cow's milk. We very very very rarely have it in the house and when we do, it's for cooking. No one drinks it.

I would also check the vitamin/mineral content of the almond milk to see how it lines up with cow's milk. If he's eating a lot of other dairy products he's probably ok on the calcium but he needs vitamin D too. From what I saw on the internet (I don't have any almond milk in the house) it *looks* like the brand made by Blue Diamond is fortified with vitamins A, D and calcium to be comparable to cow's milk. I would double check.
    DD (7/23/08) self weaned at 17 months
    DS (6/20/10) nursing like a champ