Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Medication transfer in a 1 year old...

Default Medication transfer in a 1 year old...

Long story short I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease which is from Hyperthyroidism... My doctor put me on Altenolol to slow my heart rate because I always have high bp...

Anyways. I researched and saw that Altenolol isnt good for bfing so I would bf right close to my next dose because he was NEVER weened... he only nurses at night or when he gets hurt or sick.. he doesnt really nurse longer then 10 minutes at a time either.

Well all the research I found said not to use while bfing an INFANT or premature baby... well my son will be 1 on the 15th of this month. Everyones remark is well at least you made it this far... But he is NOT taking cold turkey well at all and wants to nurse and I WANT to nurse him..

So anyways I went to the doctor on Wednesday (this past week) and told her about my bfing dilema and her reply was to QUIT bfing period. there was no other beta blocker she could give me that that was it. (Then of course she lectured me on how he shouldnt be on a bottle right now either... So I am suppose to take away mommy and his bottle all in 1 week?? What the heck!! )

SOO she upped my dose and I havent bfd since...

Well here it is Sunday.. I still have milk and he STILL wants to nurse...

I have thought about going back to 1 pill a day and doing my old routine of night time nursing but I can not find anything that says nuring a toddler could cause harm...

So does anyone know if I can nurse him? I REALLY want to and am SOO depressed that I cant...

Please any advice would be appreciated

Default Re: Medication transfer in a 1 year old...

Hi wittymomma1,
    This must be stressful for you, to be told to wean immediately. I tried to look up Altenolol in Thomas Hale's Medications and Mothers' Milk. I couldn't find it. If you look at the container label does it go by any other names? La Leche League Leaders are not health care providers and we aren't able to tell you what is safe for you to take or not. We can quote you published information, if available, to help you talk to your doctor and make the decision that works for you.
    If we can find this drug by another name, maybe I'll be able to give you more information. Hang in there! I'll keep checking here through the day.
    Mary

I'm sorry to hear that your doctor refused to help you explore a creative way through this matter. She (and every doctor who treats women of childbearing age) should have a copy of Hale's _Medications and Mother's Milk_ on her shelf, and she should be prepared to look at the particular details of how your particular medication might affect your milk and your baby. Instead she is parroting drug-company legalese and covering her own hiney by telling you to wean cold turkey.

Call a lactation consultant -- an IBCLC -- and let her help you figure this out. She can look up the info you need and help you figure out what the risks are (if any) in continuing to nurse versus the risks of weaning prematurely. (Since the "natural" age of weaning in humans is somewhere between 2.5 years and 7 years, then yes, weaning an avid 1yo nursling cold-turkey is premature, and should be avoided if possible.) And she should also be able to help you figure out the best way to time the medication and the nursing so as to minimize the amount of the drug entering your baby's system.

I would also consider changing doctors, frankly. You presented her with something she didn't know much about, and instead of doing the work to educate herself so that she could treat you knowledgeably, she tried to make you feel bad for daring to lactate at all!

--Rebecca

I had a friend (who lives in Canada) call her 24 hour free nurse line. The lady there looked it up and said I can bf him all I want if I go back to 1 pill a day... Right now (and since yesterday) I have been extremly (sp) light headed and nausious (again sp lol) so I am thinking that I am having a bad reaction to 2 pills a day... I am not sure if I want to take my next pill... ugh

Oh sorry I get side tracked easily LOL.

My pill bottle says:

Atenolol 25 mg Tab Mylan

if that helps any...

Thank you in advance and we are in fact searching for a new doctor on tuesday lol.

Hi wittymomma1,
    I saw that LLL LactoJen found you some information from Hale. (Thanks, Jen! ) And just as Rebecca mentioned above, maybe one option would be to find a local international board-certified lactation consulant (IBCLC) to help you and your doctor work through the specifics of your situation, taking into consideration the age of your baby, any drug options you might have, etc.
    Find a Lactation Consultant

HTH!
    Mary