Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 13 month old chokes on water from sippy cup/cup

Default 13 month old chokes on water from sippy cup/cup

Is this choking thing normal ? Will she grow out of it ?
    She always chokes on drinking water from a sippy cup or regular cup. I tried to teach her to drnk from a straw but she just chews on it. I am trying to wean her and we arew down to 2 nursings once in the morning and one at night, both are not very filling I can tell. She is very thirsty. But since she chokes on the sippy cup, she is developing an aversion to it and is refusing water. She is starting to get dehydrated as I can tell by her hard stools.
    I know the poor dear is thirsty but what do I do ? How much water does a 13 month old need ?
    thanks

Default Re: 13 month old chokes on water from sippy cup/cup

I take it you usually help her with the sip from a cup? And you've probably done it really slow right? Poor little girl..I don't have any advice but I hope she gets it soon!! Does she all choke and no swallow? Annabella chokes sometimes but still manages to get some water down..she cant drink from a sippy so usually I am giving her sips from a cup..she lets it flow into her mouth and just takes what she wants, but sometimes she takes too much! GL!!
    We just and I am non-stop and we have always and now we are finding our groove with I can't believe it, but I am also and there's alot of going on with Annabella. This mama couldn't be more grateful for the two most important loves of her life, and my natural ability to instinctively follow my heart according to what I later learned as "Attachment Parenting"

Gave birth to a beautiful little girl Annabella

9-25-08

Gave birth to a second beautiful little baby girl Brynleigh

4-30-10

Are you trying to stay away from the bottle? If not, you could give her liquids in her bottle instead of her sippy. Are you introducing something other than water (like cow's milk, soy milk, or formula) to replace your nursing sessions? Maybe she would do better with the sippies if there was something besides water in it. Have you tried Nubby sippies? They are a nice intermediate between bottles and sippies. My almost 1 year old won't drink water out of anything but the nubbies. Give them a try!

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

I would try a bottle too, and my DD loves the nuby sippy. What kind of sippy do you use?
    You can give her watermelon, peaches, and nectarines to help get fluid in her.
    To help her drink out of a straw you can put a straw in water, hold your finger over the end and place it in her mouth. Take your finger off the straw and let the water go in her mouth. Eventually she will get the hang of it and suck on it.
    I agree with PP that she needs something other than water to drink. What fluids do you give besides water?
    If all else fails and you know shes thirsty you can always give her a wet washcloth to suck on.
    Keep us posted on how she's doing!

ETA if all else fails, try a syringe or medicine dropper. That usually works for my DD but its very tedious.
    Last edited by @llli*abbymom; June 13th, 2009 at 06:47 PM.
    DD (7/23/08) self weaned at 17 months
    DS (6/20/10) nursing like a champ

Great ideas from pp. We've done the medicine dropper from time to time and I just introduced the straw using the method suggested. Fruit is also a good idea...and I totally agree that at only 12 mo. she should have something besides water - make sure you include yogurt and cheese in her diet if you aren't going to introduce another kind of dairy so that she gets enough calcium.

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

I wanted to add that most of the ideas I gave I got from other smart mamas on here! Thanks llladies!
    Also, when I said she needs something besides water I meant something with vitamins, minerals, protein, fat - ie milk, soymilk, formula, expressed BM. Not juice. Just wanted to clarify. Hope things are going well.
    Oh, one other idea - you could thin yogurt with a little milk to give out of the sippy. Maybe if the liquid is thicker than water she might do better. Altho it would be a PITA to clean the sippy...
    DD (7/23/08) self weaned at 17 months
    DS (6/20/10) nursing like a champ

Oh thankyou all for your replies. I checked a couple of times and saw no one had replied and gave up. Was signing on to see again in desperation...

She is such a fussy eater...
    Today all she had was half an egg and a handful of fish crackers and a few chickpeas. Thats it. oh and a couple of sips of water. She nursed twice not very well because I am in the process of weaning her...but have second thoughts given the liquid intake situation.

I do most of the things suggested here: sippy cup (usually refused- or very few sips ending with choking) the sad thing is she expects to cough and choke and pats herself in the head/side of ear when she does choke.
    I also give her liquids in a dropper, she is mostly eager to, and accepts a few droppersfull, but no where near getting the recommended 17 ounces per day!

Straw: she chews on the ends instead of sucking through it, so I do the dip and hold over her mouth method. This seems to be counterproductive because she has started to dip the straw in water and tries to drink from the wrong end just like I do when giving her water.

BTW to answer one of the questions, she does not drink from a bottle. She was sort of EBF. Not by choice just happened that way by her refusing the bottle
    My question is this: Has anyone continued to nurse their babies just to make sure they get their liquid intake everyday ? She can go the whole day without drinking much water except to wet her mouth, and I am nursing her twice a day- should I increase it again/stop it ?
    Her popps were getting quite like little lumps so she is definitely dehydrated today
    thanks for letting me vent...she fell asleep without dinner

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*eelme.eelme1 View Post
    Are you trying to stay away from the bottle? If not, you could give her liquids in her bottle instead of her sippy. Are you introducing something other than water (like cow's milk, soy milk, or formula) to replace your nursing sessions? Maybe she would do better with the sippies if there was something besides water in it. Have you tried Nubby sippies? They are a nice intermediate between bottles and sippies. My almost 1 year old won't drink water out of anything but the nubbies. Give them a try!
    She does not drink from the bottle.
    Do you mean that I should actually replace her 4-5 nursings of which she is currently doing only 2, with milk or some other nutritious liquid ? She does eat cheese, but my question is - should her liquid intake be the equivalent of 4-5 nursings she is used to ?

I'm sorry that no one answered you right away. I hope you will still read this post.

My lo just turned one - so I am in a similar situation to you - and she hardly drinks any water out of her sippy. She likes the Nubbie sippy cups, but will only drink a little at a time.

What I was suggesting was not to replace your 2 nursing sessions with milk, but that you probably want to replace the other 2 nursing sessions that you've already dropped with milk, or pick them back up. Does that make sense? If it helps, my lo still nurses 4-5 times a day.

I have a great book called Super Baby Food that helps you to know how much your child should be eating/drinking at each age. The author suggests that at 1 year old a child needs 24 oz. of milk (or 3-4 times breast feeding) in between meals. She also suggests 6-8 oz. of water or juice (but I don't offer my babies juice).

Of course, every baby is different and you can't force them to do anything.
    You don't have to go exactly by any book. I hope that helps.

If you don't mind me asking, is there a reason why you are trying to wean her right now? If you want it, there is a lot of support here for nursing past one.

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

In our Asian culture we breastfeed our babies at least 2 years.We believe they really need it until they are two . when they become fussy eater moms don't have to worry about their nutrition/fluid because most of them nurses a lot .I mentioned it just to let you know so that you could give a second thought before you wean.