Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Which pump do I buy? 1,000 to chose from!!

Question Which pump do I buy? 1,000 to chose from!!

I'm not really sure where to begin ...

My husband and I went to register and once we arrived at the feeding section of the store - I lost it .... So many choices .... and you want the best for your baby... but then you don't want to spend a fortune if it's not necessary.

A few comments were made to me that scared me a little - first, someone mentioned some pumps you can't return - 2nd is that certain pumps are not made for larger breasted women (something about their nipple not going far enough into the cup to suction properly).

I'm pretty large breasted - DD (probably should buy a DDD or E) and am not sure how big I'll get once the milk comes in. (I'm 26 weeks pregnant)

Are there pumps / attachments made specifically for larger/ smaller breasts? Do manual pumps obatain as much milk as the others? How do you choose?

(I won't get into all the different options for bottles / nipples............... Holy cow.)

Default Re: Which pump do I buy? 1,000 to chose from!!

First, I would read this for more information:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/pump.html

And it all depends on how much you will be using the pump. I started out with a manual pump while I was still at home with my daughter, just to use when she didn't eat enough and I still felt "full". I am now back to work full time an dpump three times a day. I use the Mdeele Pump in Style and I love it! I don't really have any experience with other electric double pumps, but this one has been wonderful. It has a battery pack for when you need to pump in places without an electrical outlet, and everything fits nicely in to the bag, including the pump, bottles, cooler pack, etc. They do make breast shields in different sizes, too, so that would help you out.

Are you going to be returning to work? If not then you really don't even need a pump unless you wanted to invest in a manual pump like the Avent Isis for occasional pumping. If you are returning to work then you'll probably want a double-electric like the Medela Pump in Style or Ameda Purely Your's. Or you might consider renting a double-electric hospital grade pump too. It really just depends on how you'll be using it and for how long. You'll probably want to stay away from anything made by Evenflo or Gerber.

I think the link & info that the above poster gave you was good

I Have Always Been A Stay At Home Mom And Have Had Several Hand Pumps Like The Avent, A Medela, And 2 Others That I Cannot Remember... I Invested In The Ameda Purely Yours And I Am Glad I Did. I Never Have Been Real Good With The Hand Or Small Electric Pumps And Could Barely Relieve Engorgement, But Wow!!! I Actually Have A Bit Of Milk In The Freezer And Sent A Ton To A Bottle Feeding Mom Who's Baby Was Very Sick. I Exclusively Breastfeed, But Love Knowing I Have A Great Pump And Having A Bit Stored In The Freezer Just In Case.... They Really Are More Expensive, But Worth Every Penny Especially If You Plan To Have More Children. Also Between The Medela Pump In Style Etc. And The Ameda Purely Yours The Ameda Is FDA Approved. That Is What Made My Decision For Me. Hope This Helps, Good Luck And Congrats:d

Quote Originally Posted by Overwhelmed-First Timer
    A few comments were made to me that scared me a little - first, someone mentioned some pumps you can't return - 2nd is that certain pumps are not made for larger breasted women (something about their nipple not going far enough into the cup to suction properly).
    ALL pumps *except for* hospital grade rental pumps, are single user items (like a tooth brush). You can't return these items, though I have heard of Wal-Mart taking back those The First Years pumps (but, I do NOT recommend those...my understanding is that they can cause nipple damage).

Quote Originally Posted by Overwhelmed-First Timer
    I'm pretty large breasted - DD (probably should buy a DDD or E) and am not sure how big I'll get once the milk comes in. (I'm 26 weeks pregnant)

Are there pumps / attachments made specifically for larger/ smaller breasts? Do manual pumps obatain as much milk as the others? How do you choose?
    If you choose a full-size electric pump, you will have a choice of breast shield sizes. You can find some info about breast sheild fit here:
    http://www.medela.com/NewFiles/faq/b...hield_fit.html

You really have to look at your reasons for pumping. Are you pumping while you're working? Pumping for an occassional bottle? If you will be working full-time, you might consider investing in a full-size electric pump or renting (though a full-size electric is a better deal if you plan to pump for more than a couple of months!). If you'll just be pumping for the occassional bottle, then, a manual pump might be just what you're looking for! If you're not interested in pumping, you should know that hand expression is always an option. www.lactationinstitute.org/MANUALEX.html

Here's some info on choosing a pump:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_4248_choose-breast-pump.html

Some suggestions for pumps to look at:

Manual pumps:
    Medela Harmony
    Avent Isis

Full-Size Double Electric:
    Medela Pump In Style
    Ameda Purely Yours
    Avent Isis IQ Duo

Rental:
    Medela Classic or Lactina
    Ameda Elite

Hope you find what you're looking for! Good luck!

Hi O-F Timer, with my first baby I used a Medela electric pump and hated it because, and this may sound odd, but I was very put off by the humming sound it made! It was loud and made me feel very self - conscious so my milk was little in coming.... With my second baby I then opted for the Avent Hand pump and I couldn't be happier!!! Good Luck!

Smile Re: Which pump do I buy? 1,000 to chose from!!

I am an OBGYN resident (my first baby is 11 weeks old now old now-- I went back to work when she was 7 weeks) and I work 12 hour days and I pump with the IQ duo. I get a minimum of 6 ounces at each pumping session, and that's in like 15 minutes. (I don't have time to wait for let down #2 unfortunately...). The nice thing about it too, is that you can use it as a manual if you don't have electrical access. I was at a conference this past Thursday and had to use it manually and I figured I'd probably only get 4 oz total, and I got EIGHT OUNCES!!! I really think the massage cushion is the magic with this pump. For those who have issues with the seal with the cushion, using it a little wet has made the seal tight for me. God Bless you and Good luck, and congratulations on making the best choice for your baby!!