Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not a snuggle bug....

Default Not a snuggle bug....

I'm starting to get nervous that my 12 mo is going to be an early weaner. He is just so distractable (yes I've read the 5 month article on kellymom a dozen times). He ALWAYS has been and doesn't ever nurse for "comfort". And he never "asks" for it unless we lie down in bed and then he starts whining.

We used to only be able to nurse in my bed but know he thinks the headboard is a jungle gym and keeps unlatching to climb it. He also comes off, sits up, leans over to nurse the other side, rolls around STILL latched, talks, smiles, etc. while nursing.

I'm hoping that this is just a phase. I can only relatch so many times.....he bites if I push it!

Please tell me this is a phase....I want to make it to 2 years! When he was a newborn he wouldn't stay latched on for more than 2 minutes at a time and I kept forcing him back on before I learned to just go with the flow. I am hoping I didn't give him a negative association with nursing! I really want to have the nursing relationship where he asks for it and says "ahh" after too!

Default Re: Not a snuggle bug....

Two years is a great goal! And any amount of nursing is good so just pat yourself on the back for what you can get in him!

Sounds like you have an inquisitive little mover on your hands and he doesn't like to stay still for nursing right now but it doesn't have to mean he will be an early weaner though it could. I think babies of that age are just so facinated with what they can do and see it's hard for them to keep still.

Just continue to be patient as you have been because as you probably already know babies pick up on your energy and can tell when you are tense.

Have you tried a nursing necklace to help keep him busy but facing you? Or maybe read him a loved book while nursing to keep his little mind focused.

Good luck and congrats to making it to one year!
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

Between 12 and 18 months was a pretty wild time for nursing. Random and really less often than I imagined.
    Now 18 months to 2 years for us was filled with cuddles and comfort nursing. I NEVER had a comfort nurser unless he was sick. So that was different.

You might be surprised as he gets a little older! I remember that being a pretty intense time.

This may sound odd, but - have you tried nursing standing up (DS, not you)? My DS went through a phase where he didn't want to be held to nurse right after he got good at standing/walking. When I held him he was super-squirmy. But he loved standing by me (sitting on the edge of the couch) and nursing. Just a thought...
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

DD1 was never "into" nursing, either. Despite all my efforts she was done by the time she was 7.5 months. I know...Bizarre. But it's true. She never nursed for comfort and from the day she was born, never nursed for more than 15mins at a time. She also would never fall asleep while nursing. She's 3 now and still isn't one to be held or sit still with us. I agree with PP's that you might be surprised and your LO might change habits, especially since it's a busy time at that age anyway, but wanted to share our story as well so you know it's nothing to stress over or feel discouraged about.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

Sounds very familiar...I could have written your post 2 months ago. We had a very hard time between 9 and 13 months and I thought for sure DS would be an early weaner. I still wonder sometimes, but the good news is things have gotten much much better. My goal is at least 2 years, this is extremely important to me, nobody gets how important this is to me. At the time this was all happening, people were suggesting I wean!!

1) Always had to nurse him lying down in the bedroom. He would never even latch on in the cradle position. Would never ask to nurse.

2) Nursed for food only. If he had just eaten solids, totally not interested in nursing. Would fall asleep at bedtime w/o nursing if he had just had a snack. He sucks his thumb day and night so he gets his sucking needs met that way.

3) Only nursed a few times a day, usually at nap time and bedtime. Because of all this, had ongoing trouble with milk supply. Which made things worse, because if there wasn't lots of milk, he would give up easily and sometimes even push me away.

Now at 14 months:

1) At least a few times a day, will ask to nurse by pulling on my shirt, sticking his hand down my shirt. Or if I say 'do you want milk', he will want to nurse.

2) Will nurse in the cradle position in our living room and out in public. Still distractable and I have to be patient, but its usre better than having to treck to the bedroom multiple times a day. Yeah!

3) Nurses more often. Usually about every 2 hours, either from me offering or him asking.

So I can't guarantee things will get better for you, but I have a feeling they will. I've read in other places that 9-14 months can be hard for many moms. So hang in there! I found, personally that the more milk I had, the more interested he is. So if your LO is not nursing enough, you may want to consider pumping to keep up your supply.

Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bunnyscooltes View Post
    Between 12 and 18 months was a pretty wild time for nursing. Random and really less often than I imagined.
    Now 18 months to 2 years for us was filled with cuddles and comfort nursing. I NEVER had a comfort nurser unless he was sick. So that was different.

You might be surprised as he gets a little older! I remember that being a pretty intense time.
    That was same experience for us. At 14 months he almost weaned, and was down to 1 nursing a day and was even skipping days. But I kept encouraging and by 16/18 months he was back into nursing 4+ times a day, and it was sooooooo nice and snuggly!!!!!!

Stick with it momma 12 months is a time of exploration and nursing takes a back burner with some of them for a while.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Thanks for all your encouragement. I made a nursing necklace using a bracelet and that helped. He does like to nurse sitting up, so maybe I'll try the idea of standing up at the couch. Luckily I have TONS of milk so I'm not concerned about supply!

It's nice to hear that he might come around after this phase.