Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: will she need formula after 6m??

Default will she need formula after 6m??

not sure where the best place to post this question is, but here's my dilemma.

I've had MANY issues with BFíng LO. I will be happy if I BF for 6 months and have done so now for almost 19 weeks. When I introduce solids at 5.5-6 months, I hope I will still BF as well. I am assuming that at 6 months she won't be eating enough solids that I can stop BF'ing her, right?

ASSUMING that goes well and I can BF and feed her, and now it's a few months down the line (like say 8-9 months) and she's eating lots of solids (OH, and she'll be raised a vegetarian), and I wean her, will she need formula?? Or milk?? or anything? Is it possible for her to get her nutrition entirely from solids at that age??

Default Re: will she need formula after 6m??

breastmilk as you know is best, but breastmilk or formula should be the primary source of nutrition for the duration of the first year. The calories and nutrition in breastmilk (as well as formula, although I am not saying that breastmilk and formula are equal) are much more dense than the calories/nutrition in solid food. Up until your lo's first birthday, you should definitely offer formula if you can no longer breastfeed. Whole milk can be offered after a year, however whole milk has less overall nutrition than formula.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Default Re: will she need formula after 6m??

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post
    breastmilk or formula should be the primary source of nutrition for the duration of the first year

If you decide to wean before the first birthday, formula is a better choice than solids. Babies tend to have very inconsistent diets when they start solids- some days they eat nothing but veggies, other days it's only starch, some days they want nothing but pickled herring (or was that just my kid?)- but breastmilk or formula is really a balanced diet in liquid form.

I just want to encourage you to stick with BFing! I know a lot of people will tell you that nursing gets easier at 6 weeks or so, but that's not true for everyone. It took me about 4.5 months before nursing was pain-free, and I didn't feel like nursing became really easy until I had been doing it for around 6 months. But after that, it was nothing but pleasure, and I was so glad I had stuck with it!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"