Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just curious I guess

Red face Just curious I guess

Hopefully its okay to ask this here. And hopefully I can explain my question without talking in too many circles. So I was thinking about how BM changes as your baby grows, and that got me wondering about the mamas who relactate or induce lactaction for adoption. Is it an issue at all if the babies age and the stage of milk don't match? Like if you've been pumping milk for 6 months to get ready for an adoption and then nurse your newborn? I'm sure its still much better than formula. I know someone who started pumping after her three year old weaned, and adopted a newborn like a year later and only stopped pumping when he started nursing.

Default Re: Just curious I guess

Hmm... Good question! My guess is that milk composition is regulated not so much by the baby's age as by how the baby is nursing. Newborns tend to nurse frequently, older babies tend to space their feedings out a bit more. And the baby gets to decide what composition of milk to take in- if she wants mostly foremilk, she stops nursing when the milk turns too creamy. If she's really hungry, she drains the hindmilk, too. My guess is that even if you started out with an older baby's milk supply, nursing a newborn would rapidly alter your milk output to match the younger baby's needs.

Even if I'm just blowing smoke, breastmilk that isn't exactly tailored to the baby's age still must be loads better than formula, which is the same composition from day 1.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree with pp

also, breastmilk changes with the environment as well. Did you know that when it's super hot and humid your body produces more foremilk to ensure that your baby doesn't get dehydrated?? Isn't that awesome? So if the environment can change the composition of your breastmilk, I assume that it's much more complex then most people think - leading me to believe that it can certainly self regulate depending on baby's intake, speed, frequency, suction level, etc..
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

I was actually thinking about this the other day, but i was thinking if a mother is breasfeeding a toddler and then has a new baby and continues breastfeeding her toddler and a new baby who's needs soes it adjust to?

**Tricia**
    Married to DH since July '07
    Mommy to Logan born 09/10/08

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*logans-mum View Post
    I was actually thinking about this the other day, but i was thinking if a mother is breasfeeding a toddler and then has a new baby and continues breastfeeding her toddler and a new baby who's needs soes it adjust to?
    the infant. During pregnancy the body basically resets itself and produces colostrum around the time of birth and goes from there.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post
    I agree with pp

also, breastmilk changes with the environment as well. Did you know that when it's super hot and humid your body produces more foremilk to ensure that your baby doesn't get dehydrated?? Isn't that awesome? So if the environment can change the composition of your breastmilk, I assume that it's much more complex then most people think - leading me to believe that it can certainly self regulate depending on baby's intake, speed, frequency, suction level, etc..
    Wow!!

I was actually thinking about this the other day, but i was thinking if a mother is breasfeeding a toddler and then has a new baby and continues breastfeeding her toddler and a new baby who's needs does it adjust to?
    I'd love to know the answer to this one, too! (And is it connected to why it is suggested to nurse an infant and then let the toddler use the same breast?)
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post
    the infant. During pregnancy the body basically resets itself and produces colostrum around the time of birth and goes from there.
    Thats awesome. Good to know

**Tricia**
    Married to DH since July '07
    Mommy to Logan born 09/10/08

Thats awesome. Good to know
    I just want to mention though, that the toddler still gets the benefits of the breastmilk, of course, but it's tailored toward the infant. Plus the toddler is usually eating at least some solids by the time the next baby is born. I don't want anyone to think that the breastmilk wouldn't be good for toddlers because it would be, just not targeted specifically for them, kwim?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

I didn't know any of that. So it turns out my body is all kinds of awesome and I never realized it.

here is what i found, on Wikipedia

THIS IS WHAT COLOSTRUM IS FOR:
    Under the influence of the hormones prolactin and oxytocin, women produce milk after childbirth to feed the baby. The initial milk produced is often referred to as colostrum, which is high in the immunoglobulin IgA, which coats the gastrointestinal tract. This helps to protect the newborn until its own immune system is functioning properly, and creates a mild laxative effect, expelling meconium and helping to prevent the build up of bilirubin (a contributory factor in jaundice).

Now as for the Composition of Breast Milk:

The exact integrated properties of breast milk are not entirely understood[citation needed], but the nutrient content after this period[citation needed] is relatively consistent and draws its ingredients from the mother's food supply. If that supply is found lacking, content is obtained from the mother's bodily stores. The exact composition of breast milk varies from day to day, depending on food consumption and environment, meaning that the ratio of water to fat fluctuates. Foremilk, the milk released at the beginning of a feed, is watery, low in fat and high in carbohydrates relative to the creamier hindmilk which is released as the feed progresses. The breast can never be truly "emptied" since milk production is a continuous biological process.

Human milk contains 0.8% to 0.9% protein, 10% to 15% fat, 6.9% to 7.2% carbohydrates and 0.2% ash (minerals). Carbohydrates are mainly lactose; several lactose-based oligosaccharides have been identified as minor components. The principal proteins are casein homologous to bovine beta-casein, alpha-lactalbumin, lactoferrin, IgA, lysozyme and serum albumin. Non-protein nitrogen-containing compounds, making up 25% of the milk's nitrogen, include urea, uric acid, creatine, creatinine, amino acids and nucleotides.[15][16] Breast milk has circadian variations; some of the nucleotides have acrophases during the night, others during the day.[17]

Mother's milk has been shown to supply a type of endocannabinoid (the natural neurotransmitters which marijuana simulates), 2-Arachidonoyl glycerol.[18]

FUN FACT:

Though it now is almost universally prescribed, in some countries in the 1950s the practice of breastfeeding went through a period where it was out of vogue and the use of infant formula was considered superior to breast milk. However, it is now universally recognized that there is no commercial formula that can equal breast milk. In addition to the appropriate amounts of carbohydrate, protein and fat, breast milk also provides vitamins, minerals, digestive enzymes and hormones - all of the things that a growing infant will require. Breast milk also contains antibodies and lymphocytes from the mother that help the baby resist infections. The immune function of breastmilk is individualized, as the mother, through her touching and taking care of the baby, comes into contact with pathogens that colonize the baby and consequently her body makes the appropriate antibodies and immune cells.

but thats my .2c's...lol
    Kristina Jeremiah since 2-18-1998
    Mother to
    2-02
    Gavin 1-03 Nursed 2.5mo
    Keean 5-04 BCLP
    Alexis 12-06 Nursed 12mo THEN
    Relactated after 5mo(due to her dairy intol.) and ended up making 30oz a day
    Now we are Weaned! AGAIN!
    Kason 6-2-10
    Birth..8 lbs 5.9 oz
    4 wks.... 10 lbs 12 oz
    9 wks.... 13 lbs 14 oz
    15wks... 16 lbs 4 oz
    17wks... 17 lbs 2 oz
    6 mo..... 19 lbs 6 oz
    7 mo .....20 lbs 3 oz