Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm ready...can she let go?

Default I'm ready...can she let go?

Norah (22 months) has been nursing when she wakes up, down for her midday nap and to sleep at night for about the past 6 months. She was nursing 6 to 8 times a day about 6 months ago (or whenever Shelly says, b/c I did come to the forum talking about setting limits.) Maybe it wasn't that long ago, maybe it was a little longer, either way moving from 6 to 8 sessions down to 3 per day was relatively easy. She only cried two or three times and I distracted her with play or a cup of water or a snack and we moved on.

She does ask to nurse from time to time in addition to those three times, and I remind her that it's not bedtime yet. She forgets about it and we move on.

I just feel like I am done. I'm over it. I'm PMSing and my nipples hurt just like they did during pregnancy every single time I go through PMS and I really wonder if that is nature's way of sending a signal to nursing mothers, saying, "you know what, it's time." The pain has to be indicative of something.

She did just start school last week, so I won't yank her off just yet. As a side note, I'd like to report that all is going way better than we could have dreamed in that department.

My plan is maybe in another two weeks, drop the first morning session. Three weeks later, drop the midday session. And on her second birthday, I will nurse her to sleep for the last time. Does that sound too harsh? I promise you she's not getting much milk anymore....there's lots of sucking but hardly any swallowing and it takes me like 10 minutes just to let down.

When she was a newborn, she just had to open her mouth to latch on and I had milk spraying EVERYWHERE. Times have changed.

She's a great eater, drinks plenty of water and juice (organic and 50% water) and if I wait for this child to self-wean, it will not be happening anytime soon.

Ready.....set....GO!
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Default Re: I'm ready...can she let go?

Wow! I'm anxious for replies, for I too feel that the end is near

I how you have it planned to tentatively end on her second birthday I definintly know that I couldn't push my DD till at least then myself

I wish I had more advice for you I support your quest for guidance &

"Children reinvent your world for you." Susan Sarandon

Awww, thanks for showing up. Let's talk about our master plans this Friday.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

Hhmm I can't really answer your post because I'm in the same boat. I feel like I am DONE DONE DONE nursing Emma (30months) but she's nursing in the morning and at bedtime. She WILL NOT miss those sessions and doesn't "trade" them in for anything either. The first thing she says when she wakes up is "NURSE!" and that's what she says at bedtime too. I weaned her from the rest of the sessions slowly since she was 18months and it was relatively easy but she won't budge on these last two. In fact, she would like to nurse more often than that and sometimes melts down that I say it's not time yet. Occassionally I nurse her when she seems to really need it and it's not those times, like tonight she choked on a tomato and was hysterical after the event, so I nursed her. But I wish she would just quit. I tell myself that I will miss it when it's over, but I wonder if I really will. I feel bad for wanting her to wean but it doesn't make me not want it.

I'm interested to see everyone's reponses to your post!
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenniebean5 View Post
    I tell myself that I will miss it when it's over, but I wonder if I really will. I feel bad for wanting her to wean but it doesn't make me not want it.
    From experience, I will tell you that when my DD1 weaned at 16.5 months I had tremendous guilt, especially b/c I felt like it was premature due to my pregnancy and loss of milk. Poor little thing nursed on dry boobs for two weeks before letting go.

So you might miss it, which reminds me that I might too. I think I'm just at that point though, where I'd rather miss it, than wish it over all the time.

hmmmm, I think If you are really ready maybe attempt to drop one of the sessions

Silas is 19mos and I am NOT ready yet, DH is, but Silas isn't ready either....

I do try to only nurse the 3 sessions you listed and for us during the week we don'teven nurse for naps since I am at work only on weekends do we nurse for naps.... I also think that this session (nap) might be the easierst to drop for us, b/c in the morning he is persistant to have ME, even with other toddlers and a baby and a pool and the beach right.outside.the.door we tried it he pictched an all out fit in about 10 seconds flat
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

My sister weaned my niece on here second birthday. It went very smoothly. They talked about it a lot as it neared. It seemed very gentle a peaceful. The days and weeks leading up to it were so sweet. My niece would say, "Just a little bit o' milk Mom? Just a bit?" and hold her sweet little fingers up showing how much she wanted.
    Last edited by @llli*danlynclark; June 9th, 2009 at 09:40 PM.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolamomma View Post

My plan is maybe in another two weeks, drop the first morning session. Three weeks later, drop the midday session. And on her second birthday, I will nurse her to sleep for the last time.

Ready.....set....GO!
    This was my plan also. I felt a lot of guilt when the thoughts of weaning even started and then to put them into motion? I actually pm'd some friends I had made on here to give them the head's up that I was going to start the weaning process because I felt guilty. It was like a confessional

Anyhow, I took out the first one (morning) in Dec (he was just over 20 months) by letting him play with the light switch instead of nursing. Then we went on vacation for Christmas and he just started nursing sporadically for nap and bed all on his own. He had completely weaned on his own by mid Jan (almost 22 months) I was shocked at how easy it was and it took much less time than I had imagined. My goal was 2 yrs.

Maybe it will go this smoothly for you

I think if you do it like you said she will wean by 2 or around that. I personally think you should give yourself a bit of wiggle room on *nursing the last time* on her 2nd birthday.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*clooneylover View Post

Chrizzle, we nursed to about 2.5 years. Plus/minus cause I really don't remember how it ended. It was such a slow a process we never had a "last session". Maybe try a path that doesn't have a such and firm deadline? I know how much you love your little ittybitty baby girl. You'll be emotional enough on her birthday. Maybe extend your date just a little to give you both some breathing space? What is your mama gut telling you to do?
    Yup, I think it is much easier to not have a firm deadline. We just had exceptions here and there until one day I realized it had been a while.
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...