Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mesh feeder

Default Mesh feeder

DD will be 5 mo this week. I planned on starting solids at 6 mos but something interesting happened.

For a few weeks now I have been putting DD in her high chair with a toy on the tray along with a bowl, spoon and sippy cup. She would sit with me/us for one or two meals a day banging away on the items on her tray. Well she started putting the spoon in her mouth! The right end too, not the handle, and chomping on it. So I went and got her a little thing of baby oatmeal. I didn't want to do anything with cereal but figured the oatmeal seemed to have some nutritional value in it over the rice... Well I made some and dipped her spoon in it, since it was thin not much stuck but now she had something to taste on her spoon. She LOVED it.

Obviously she's not eating much and seeing as she is 5 mo she's not very good with a spoon - but she enjoys aiming for her mouth and getting to taste something. Also, we aren't doing oatmeal every day. Just on occasion for fun.

So I was wondering about those mesh feeders that you put fresh food into. She is way too small for pieces of food, but she can hold objects well enough to get them in her mouth. I thought she might enjoy the mesh feeder then. Has anyone used them? Is it worth it? What age range are they for anyway?
    I'm Melissa, DD (01/12/2009) weaned at a little over 2 1/2 years

Default Re: Mesh feeder

We used one for a while, and loved it; it was great for things like watermelon and canteloupe. We also did banana and avocado (things that tended to be slippery) in there, and a lot of people put ice or frozen breast milk in them, kind of a breast milk popsicle.

I used them with my daughter especially when she was teething. I would put frozen fruit in them. She loved it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Kate
    Wife to Jason
    Mom to Aubrey 4/06 queen
    Mom to Nathan 5/08 Relactated for him and he got EBM for a year
    Mom to Jack 8/11

We have a 6 month old and have been using the mesh feeder for about a month now and she LOVES it. It's great b/c it keeps her busy when, for ex. we are eating dinner. She can entertain herself. It's also very portable. I agree watermelon works really well. We've also done mango, peach and banana. I've heard once they're older, you can even put meat in there, or really anything.

We only used one with frozen breastmilk when DS was teething.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I really like them..I use them for lots of fruits....Never tried it with BM - sounds like a great idea!!

DS gets lot of mushy, juicy fruits in there....

We've made it 1 YEAR

A newborn baby has only three demands. They are warmth in the arms of its mother, food from her breasts, and security in the knowledge of her presence. Breastfeeding satisfies all three. ~Grantly Dick-Read

Stacey

Married to DH since 2001
    Mommy to Mikki 2006
    Mommy to Xander 2008

I found them messy and hard to clean So I didn't put fruit in there. I used it for frozen breastmilk and frozen watermelon etc. for teething.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

I also found them messy and not worth the effort. He had more trouble getting the food out of the feeder than if we'd just let him have it directly. But he was a little older when we first tried it (7-8 months I think??), so maybe we just missed the window.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post
    I found them messy and hard to clean So I didn't put fruit in there. I used it for frozen breastmilk and frozen watermelon etc. for teething.

True - I do use the bottle brush to clean it and boil it every once in a while...

We've made it 1 YEAR

A newborn baby has only three demands. They are warmth in the arms of its mother, food from her breasts, and security in the knowledge of her presence. Breastfeeding satisfies all three. ~Grantly Dick-Read

Stacey

Married to DH since 2001
    Mommy to Mikki 2006
    Mommy to Xander 2008

i loved and hated mine DD loved sucking on the fruit and i did put ice in it when she was teething. the banana turned the mesh brown. i did put it in the dishwasher to clean it. i think i'll use it with the next one just because of how much dd loved eating/tasting the food i put in there.

Tina - mom of Addison Belle
    12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

and my VBAC ~ Olivia Grace
    9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in