Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Whole Milk

Question Whole Milk

My LO is almost 1 yr & is bfed. I have heard all along that when they turn 1 yr it is time to introduce whole milk so they learn to drink it and can digest it. I looked around on the internet and I cant seem to find somewhere that actually says its a "must" to do so. All I can find is that you can start at 1 yr. I want to BF my lo until he is 2 yrs old so my concern is that if I introduce whole milk than he not drink as much BM or will quit all together. I would ask his pedi but all pedis have different opinions when it comes to bfing all together. He is fine with us BFing, but not super pro bfing. He feels either is fine (bfing or formula).

When did you start whole milk? Has anyone started at 2 yrs? TIA!

Default Re: Whole Milk

You do not need to introduce cow's milk. Your baby can have it after 1 year, but he doesn't need it so long as your he is nursing 3-4 times per day. If you introduce cow's milk now, your child may drink a lot and replace some nursing sessions with sippy cups of cow's milk, or he may not. Some kids just don't like cow's milk- mine doesn't. If your child doesn't take to cow's milk there are plenty of other ways to get your child to eat dairy, like offering cheese or yogurt.

My child is 3 and has drunk cow's milk only 10-20 times in her life. She loves kefir, yogurt, and cheese, though!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    You do not need to introduce cow's milk. Your baby can have it after 1 year, but he doesn't need it so long as your he is nursing 3-4 times per day. If you introduce cow's milk now, your child may drink a lot and replace some nursing sessions with sippy cups of cow's milk, or he may not. Some kids just don't like cow's milk- mine doesn't. If your child doesn't take to cow's milk there are plenty of other ways to get your child to eat dairy, like offering cheese or yogurt.

Some kids don't like dairy - as the above poster said... and some are allergic (like mine) so they never even get it. Your BM is better

You can find more info here
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

yup no need for cows milk... lots of people groups all over the world thrive with out it.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    he doesn't need it so long as your he is nursing 3-4 times per day
    Toddlers DO need lots of calcium and fat. Cows milk is often seen as an "easy" way to meet this nutritional need.

Breastmilk actually has MORE fat per oz than whole cow milk. Bf 3-4 times a day goes a long way towards meeting calcium / fat needs.

OR - toddlers can get that fat / calcium from dairy foods like yogurt or cheese.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

with pp's. As long as you are nursing 3-4 times a day other milk is not necessary.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Just curious - if toddlers aren't given cows milk is there more of a chance that they will suffer an intolerance to it as older children/adults?

Not that I plan on giving it to my DD as a drink, just wondering if it was likely to happen. I've mostly given up drinking milk myself as it just weirds me out now to drink the milk of another animal...eww. lol I love oat milk on my cereal now.
    Mama of two precious girls
    DD1 born 23 July 2008 and
    DD2 born 14 January 2010

Just a note - with ZERO dairy in a LO's diet it's challenging to meet toddler nutritional needs for calcium & fat.

I think that when I did the numbers with our dietitian - bf 3-4 times a day meets about half those needs.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

i think that is the "rule" for formula fed babies...bec now that they can handle it ....it is easier and cheaper...

I went from breastmilk 100% to cow's milk 100% after a year, (skipping the whole formula stage) but as long as it is after a year mark you can choose to switch when you decide!!

HTH
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!