Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: solids routine

Default solids routine

hi,

i'm about to begin solids for my 6 month old daughter. anyhow, i'm curious what your routine was in terms of starting solids for you LOs. What meal did you start with? When did you add the 2nd and 3rd meal? i'm thinking that i'll start with pureed foods for about a month or so and then do a combination of BLS and pureed. Anybody else do this?

How about water or other types of drinks? Currently, my LO poops about once a week if I'm lucky. I'm worried what solids will do to this.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: solids routine

If you are already interested in BLS, you can most certainly just start with that.No need to do purees really at all. There are a ton of foods they can eat right from the start instead of giving purees.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

we did bls.

we started with offering solids in the morning - after nursing. Usually after my ds1 went to school so it wasn't so hectic around 9-10 ish. I think we did that for a couple of weeks and then we started offering twice a day (again, after nursing). By 8 months he was being offered solids 3 times a day but not necessarily 3 "meals" sometimes it was a meal and two snacks, or whatever. By 10 months he was eating 3 times a day. Now at nearly 15 months, he has three meals and 1 or 2 snacks.

As for nursing, I always nursed first and then offered solids. At about 10 months (around there somewhere) I would offer at meal times and make sure that he nursed somewhere within the hour before we ate. If he nursed 2 hours before dinner I nursed him again before I offered solids, but if he nursed an hour before I just offered solids without nursing.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

i made my own purees from the get go. i gave them to dd in the evening, like 6ish, between her night nursings. it was only an oz to start and it was the same food for like 4 days. my dd had a reaction to EVERYTHING. it was just because it was new, and then she was fine. it was like a month or so until we started a second small 'meal' in the morning. as she got better with chewing, i made the purees a little chunkier and then she was eating pieces before we knew it, i forget exactly how old, but it was before her 1st birthday. i didn't do the full BLS, but she was eating pieces of food sooner than babies that i watched who used jarred purees. i'll assume it was because i could change the consistancy of it, ykwim....

Tina - mom of Addison Belle
    12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

and my VBAC ~ Olivia Grace
    9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in

I also make all my own baby food. I started giving her solids at night, around 5 pm. We only had that one night feeding for a while, maybe 4-6 weeks and then I started with lunch. I now introduce all new foods at lunchtime. Just before her 9 month birthday we started breakfast which is still hit or miss. I think by 7 months she was eating chunks of foods and now at 10.5 months hardly gets purees at all.
    I would give her the puree version and also the chunk version and once she started picking up the chunks and eating them I backed off the purees. Good luck! Solids are lots of fun.

ETA: Sorry just saw your question about water. I introduced a sippy with the evening meal (at 6 months) and went thru many of them until I found one she would drink out of. We like the Nuby and I give it to her with plain water or ice water for meals and when we go for walks now that its hot outside.
    DD (7/23/08) self weaned at 17 months
    DS (6/20/10) nursing like a champ

with ds1 I was working full-time M-F so I offered a new food every Saturday around lunchtime.
    I felt like this gave me a full day and a half or so to watch for any allergies. I had also read somewhere not to start a new food in the evening because if it does upset their tummy you don't want to deal with a fussy baby all night long.

with ds2 I tried to introduce only one new food at a time, but was a lot more casual about things.
    I wasn't working so it didn't matter if I was up all night and ds1 liked to share with the baby.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

We do BLS and started with dinner because she wants our food! I usually give her a little something at lunch time too but not breakfast. We are moving kind of slow and it's working for us. In the next couple of months I will offer three meals every day.

DS is a little over 6 months, so we just started solids. I was thinking of doing BLS, but we don't have the time to cook completely separate foods and DS can't eat what we eat (low-calorie, non-organic, or spicy). So we are doing purees & rice cereal. I started doing it at dinner because I don't have time in the morning before class & he's at daycare at lunch time. Daycare also didn't want to have anything to do with BLS, but I digress.

DS loves, loves, LOVES rice cereal. He eats it all every time I offer it. So I told the day care because she is giving him a lot of EBM during the day and I was having trouble pumping that much, so I thought maybe the rice cereal would offset some of what he eats at daycare. So he's getting rice cereal (and next week, she'll start oatmeal) at lunch at the daycare and he's already taking less BM there. At dinnertime, he gets rice cereal or oatmeal, plus a fruit or vegetable. So far loves green beans, peas, carrots, but can't stand sweet potatoes or bananas. Anyway, he chows down at dinner time too. He's probably taking 5-8 oz. less of BM every day now since the solids started.

I know you are supposed to start slow, but he just loves the stuff and I don't see the harm in giving it to him if he likes it so much. I am not giving him a large number of different foods, but when he likes something (i.e., rice cereal), I'll give him as much as he wants.

I have not had any of this stuff that the other moms are posting about him not eating some days, not pooping, or any of that. He is a very enthusiastic eater and he doesn't seem to be having digestive trouble from it. His daily poop moved from 12:30 to 7:00, but its still a daily poop, so I'm not worried.
    Mom to Jack 11/27/08 (Our Thanksgiving Baby!)

thanks everyone for your responses. it's very helpful. i started solids last week with my daughter. we started with rice cereal just because i wanted to see if she was even ready for solids. by the third day, it looked like she got the hang of it. however, i noticed that she's been nursing less lately. this could also be that i think she's teething. overall, she's been quite cranky this past week so i've held off on solids for a couple of days to make sure that she doesn't "wean" herself. in addition, she hasn't had a BM for a week and strains a bit everytime i feed her.

overall, it's been a bit stressful lately...not quite sure what's causing her mood, etc..

so, i have another question. this is my second lo yet i can't quite remember what happened with my first. i know the intention of solids is just to "practice" but when does it become "real". my intention is to wean her sometime after she turns 1. do you gradually just lessen the nursing sessions and increase solids, etc.. thanks.

She might be cranky b/c she's constipated. Have you given her prunes? Here is a good website for constipation in babies. Another one from Dr. Sears.

I haven't weaned a baby yet so I'm not the best person to answer your question on weaning but my understanding is yes, you gradually decrease the nursing sessions and offer replacement foods/snacks. Hopefully someone will come along with some BTDT advice. Or you could pose your question or look for an answer in the weaning section of the forum.
    DD (7/23/08) self weaned at 17 months
    DS (6/20/10) nursing like a champ