Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone got a plan for how long? :-)

Default Re: Anyone got a plan for how long? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*proudmamaof3 View Post
    I don't even understand how to wean anyway that doesn't seem like a rejection of him. We just do the "don't offer, don't refuse" technique and it works fine for us!

I read the book "Mothering your nursing toddler" and it helped me tons to rethink naming a time limit. I am much more at ease now about letting him gradually wean as needed over the next couple of years.
    Right but....at 4 he won't BE a toddler anymore. I'll be nursing a KID.

Way too lazy for formula

I always thought I would go until my daughter self-weaned. She's three now and has nursed through me being pregnant and has adjusted to sharing with her little brother. She still loves to nurse and does it as often as she can. They say that most kids loose interest before they are four years old, but she loves her 'boob' and I think I'll eventually have to encourage her to wean or she'll nurse forever!
    Mama to Bianca, born July 3rd 2006
    and Oakly, born April 17th 2009

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    Right but....at 4 he won't BE a toddler anymore. I'll be nursing a KID.
    True, true! But that book has chapters about nursing at 3 and 4 and 5 years and beyond.

The longest I nursed was my first son, till he was 3 years and 7 months. At that point I was the one who was done though he didn't seem to be. So I weaned him and he went right along with it. He was old enough at that point to reason with and we traded night nursing (the last one to go) for back rubbing and it went very smoothly.
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens