Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone got a plan for how long? :-)

Default Re: Anyone got a plan for how long? :-)

I'll wean when Lyric's ready. I say the longer the better. I tell DH I'll stop when she goes off to college!
    Courtney
    Ever 06.26.02
    Lyric 12.26.08 (Holy sheep! Nursing at 30 months and counting!)

Breastmilk is better than any udder milk! ~Author Unknown

Before I fell in love with DS (i.e. before he was born) I thought I would nurse for a year, then wean to solids. Now I know that nursing is about so much more than nutrition, and I am planning on nursing until he self-weans. I am sure that we are going to go at least 2 years, which is great by me!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

4 years. That's my line. We will be at the 3.5 point on the 22nd of this month. I am pretty sure he will have to be drug kicking and screaming the finish line....but that's it. I want to be done by 4.

Way too lazy for formula

I'm hoping for at least 2 years. DS doesn't seem to care either way, so we might wean sooner. For now, I'm just enjoying every minute of it.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

I nursed my son until 2 weeks before his second birthday which involved a short time of tandem nursing. This baby is due when DD will be about 20 months. I want to wean her by 18 months, but still pump for her until at least 2 years. I didn't enjoy tandem nursing with a toddler & want to avoid it this time if I can.
    Steff, proud mom to:
    Ian (6) born naturally
    breastfed from 7/3/06 to 6/16/08
    &
    Erin (4) born naturally (with Hypnobirthing)
    breastfed from 5/18/08 to around 5/18/10
    &
    Seamus (3), my allergy baby, born naturally (with slacker Hypnobirthing) breastfed from 12/28/09 to 8/20/11
    &
    Connor (1) breastfed from 12/28/11 to current

Ian's age ticker Erin's age ticker Seamus' age ticker
    Connor's age ticker

We're coming up on my current goal of 12 months, which I'm super happy about. After her birthday we'll just take it as it comes, if she wants to continue that's great, but if she starts to self wean that's ok too. Ideally I'd like to go until she's at least 2, but we are thinking about TTC later this year and I know that could have an effect on how long she nurses. Trying to decide between starting TTC around Octoberish to have them ~2 years apart, and waiting until she's about 18 months to start trying so I can still bf until she's closer to two in case my milk dries up. Would consider tandeming if she wants to and if it wouldn't drive me nuts.
    Mama of two precious girls
    DD1 born 23 July 2008 and
    DD2 born 14 January 2010

I always said a year...we are now at 17 months. DS is sometimes more interested than other times in nursing, but he seems to need morning, before bed, nap, late afternoon (after daycare when I am working), and before and after nap sessions, plus little "check-ins" as I call them He will latch on for about 3 seconds just to know that he can, and then be off to the next thing. So still 3-5 times a day on average. He usually sleeps through 9-10 hours overnight, but is getting molars right now, so sometimes he wakes needing to nurse. I think I am going to try and gently encourage him to cut down or wean this summer. We want to try to conceive, but so far no AF! I think I might be one of those women who need to wean completely for my cycle to return. But if DS has a very hard time, I will know to go slower. I will be happy when he weans, but I enjoy BF despite all the challenges. As a working mom who had a very hard time BF for about 8 months due to various challenges, I used to think "just make it to a year". Now that the year has come and gone, and BF is easier, I don't feel as much pressure to adhere to a deadline. Good luck with your journey!
    Mama to William James born January 2nd, 2008
    Nursed 2 years, 2 months! and I think we're done!
    And our new Lucy Jane born March 30th, 2010, 7 lb. 4 oz., 20.5 inches

Pro-breastfeeding quotes:
    http://www.quotegarden.com/breastfeeding.html

Like pp's I had a one year goal. Then I was saying that I wouldn't nurse as long as I did my first son (3.7 yrs). Now he's 18 mo and says, "nur-nur peeese!" and it's so sweet I know I'll go on as long as he likes.

I don't even understand how to wean anyway that doesn't seem like a rejection of him. We just do the "don't offer, don't refuse" technique and it works fine for us!

I read the book "Mothering your nursing toddler" and it helped me tons to rethink naming a time limit. I am much more at ease now about letting him gradually wean as needed over the next couple of years.
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

As long as we can. Or as long as DD wants to. She can be the only kid in first grade with BM in her thermos. okay, maybe not quite that long. But I'd like to make it to at least two or three.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*proudmamaof3 View Post
    I read the book "Mothering your nursing toddler" and it helped me tons to rethink naming a time limit. I am much more at ease now about letting him gradually wean as needed over the next couple of years.
    That is a FABULOUS book!!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png