Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Question about Extended BF

Default Question about Extended BF

I'm not sure if this is in the right place, because I'm asking a question purely out of curiosity. I hope this doesn't start another debate topic, because that's not my intention. I was reading an article that had people basically giving their opinions on extended BF, and made me think of a question, but it wasn't answered in the article. Oh, by the way, I'm not BF Isabelle for very long, but I plan to go at least a little bit longer with the next baby (that's why this question is just out of curiosity).

Those of you that are doing extended BF, does your baby also drink out of a cup? I know that probably seems like a dumb question, but I really don't know. If I BF my next baby beyond a year, will they drink from a cup and BF? Or just one or the other?

Default Re: Question about Extended BF

That's a great question! My son started drinking from a cup at whatever the developmentally normal age was -- I started offering water with some meals when he was maybe 10 or 11 months old, and at some point he just emphatically took the cup from my hands and drank by himself.

I think most older nurslings are very clear about when they want to nurse versus when they want a drink of something else from a cup. So my answer would be that your future nursing toddler will do both.

--Rebecca

Hi Aimee,

I'm new to extended nursing, Jackson just turned one last Sunday...

He drinks juice in the afternoon from a bottle and sometimes a cup. The reason he likes the bottle better is that any cup I have tried the juice gets all over his shirt.

I'm a SAHM and I don't go out much but when I do, I pump and he takes BM from a bottle.

I plan to start transitioning him to a cup in a couple of weeks for those times...but I'm going to continue nursing him at the breast until he refuses!

my last 3 kids have not used a bottle and went right to a cup at about 9 months old. give or take...
    my 3 year old nurses at bed time and 1st thing when she gets up and none during the day. She drinks from a regular adult cup and doesn't spill..
    We don't even have any sippy cups any more.

My two year old has had water from a sippy cup from about one year of age. Before that, she didn't want anything but breastmilk - her solids, however, did have water added to them. She only used a bottle on a couple of occasions where I had to express due to surgery, etc, but she's never been on a bottle regularly. Saved me a lot of money and effort! Hope that helps.

Thanks for the responses, ladies!! It was something that I was curious about and I'm glad you were able to provide info!!

Yeah, Thomas starting playing with water in a sippy cup at about 5-6 months and now he nurses but also drinks out of a cup at meals and to thirst several times a day. I feel that nursing now is kinda like the icing on the cake, he gets it whenever he needs it, but mostly before a nap/bed/middle of the night.

my ds is 14 mos. he gets bm whenever he wants, ebm when i'm at work from a bottle. he drinks from a sippy cup:juice, water cow milk. i have often wondered if anyone ever gives ebm from a sippy cup when the child is older. i don't know if my ds would accept it from a cup instead of a bottle, since he's used to falling asleep w/ the bottle. plus, i don't know if my hubby would want to "rock the boat" and try it!!
    mom to a wonderful son: 7/5/05
    and beautiful little daughter: 1/17/08
    7lb 11oz at birth
    14.0 on 3/25/08!!
    17.0 on 4/26/08
    newly tandem nursing, born-again mama

Ds is almost 17 mo and nursing. He also drinks well from a regular cup which he mastered at 15 mo. He also uses a sippy for meals and at night. He loves to drink water from a real cup like everyone else, but he certainly still loves to nurse!

Dear Aimee123,
    I give my 19th month old the cup whenever he eats and during the day when hea askes for something to drink. He isn't shy about letting me know that no the cup won't do no because I need to nurse. He isn't getting any closer to weaning himself fr nursing either. So basically I just go with the flow.
    audra