Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Relactating a 10 month old

Default Relactating a 10 month old

I am a mom of three. I was recently ill in March. Nursing became painful and caused me to get headaches. I had some test and took some medication that required me to pump which lead to weaning mid April. Since then the baby has been on formula. I breastfed the older two 15months and 13 months. I am wanting to relactate because she has always been sensitive to cows milk plus I cry every time I give her formula.
    Is it too late? I can't get her to latch on anymore and if she does she bites. She has four teeth on the top and two on the bottom so needless to say I am reluctant. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Relactating a 10 month old

*bump*
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

It definitely isn't too late to relactate, and it may not even be too late to nurse. My Mom was in a similar situation back in 1982- she had to wean my 3 month-old sister for medical reasons. She didn't have a pump, and had no luck with hand-expression. 3 months later, when she was given the go-ahead to nurse, her milk was totally gone. Simply by putting my sis to the breast before offering formula, my mom was able to relactate and she went on to nurse my sis until she was 18 months old.

I know you say your baby won't latch- but keep offering! She may surprise you! Doing lots of skin-to-skin contact and co-sleeping may also help. (Many babies who won't nurse during the day will latch on at night when they are relaxed.)

You also may want to see a lactation consultant and rent a hospital-grade pump, which are often much better at boosting supply than off-the-shelf models.

Good luck! You can do this!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I was able to relactate for my son at about 6 months. The most I ever made was about 12-13 oz a day. Now I am down to about 8 oz a day and that is my fault for cutting down on the amount of pumping I was doing. As for getting him to latch I was never successful. He is a major biter. I tried with a nipple shield and he would just bite down on it and pull it off. I also tried with an sns but he just wasn't into it. I still try every once in a while but he still bites. But it is very rewarding to give him breastmilk.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Kate
    Wife to Jason
    Mom to Aubrey 4/06 queen
    Mom to Nathan 5/08 Relactated for him and he got EBM for a year
    Mom to Jack 8/11

I would love to try this with my seven month old son (his adjusted age is 4 months since he was born three months early). I am also 21 wks pregnant, so I'm wondering if this would cause a problem too. My son never has really latched on but he received EBM for the first three months of his life. I've tried skin to skin but I try when he is really hungry and frustrated (I just thought that may be a bad idea lol).

You could certainly try but the hormones for pregnancy often dry up milk and I don't think you can take the medication. I would talk to your OB, she might have some advice and maybe someone else on the forum will know. Good luck.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Kate
    Wife to Jason
    Mom to Aubrey 4/06 queen
    Mom to Nathan 5/08 Relactated for him and he got EBM for a year
    Mom to Jack 8/11