Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping

Default Pumping

My DD is almost 9 months old. I'm so proud of myself for sticking out breastfeeding this far with all that I've been through!

I have a question about pumping. Some of the people that I work with (although none of them have kids so I don't trust their opinion) say they can't believe I'm still pumping. So, I've tried to cut it down to once a day. But the problem is that my DD drinks more milk than that in a day. I've told her caretakerr only to give her the one bottle and solids while I'm at work. However, I just found out that my DD has been getting two bottles of formula a day because her caretaker was having a hard time keeping her satisfied with the solids.

So, should I still be pumping just as much as I used to? I feel like I should be pumping at least twice if not three times a day. I make about four ounces in a pumping session, and I'm gone for almost nine hours.

I think my biggest problem is just making the people at work understand, but I do want to make sure I'm not the one in the wrong.

Default Re: Pumping

If your lo needs more BM and you feel like you should be pumping more, then pump more. It doesn't matter what the people at your job think. You know what is best for your baby, not them. Esp. if your lo is being supplemented with formula because there is not enough BM. As long as you want to pump and can, then do it.

Loving my Beautiful High Needs Baby Girl born 12/28/06

My DD is almost 9 months old. I'm so proud of myself for sticking out breastfeeding this far with all that I've been through!
    You should be proud! That's a terrific achievement!

It sounds like your baby needs more milk. If she's sucking down big bottles of formula then more than likely the solids are not cutting it for her. At less than 1 year, milk or formula provides all your baby needs- solids are just for fun, they're not nutritionally necessary- and many babies do not graduate to a majority-solids diet until well into their second year. Milk or formula also provides a more balanced diet than most solids, so it's preferable in that way, too.

It sounds like the only thing holding you back from providing more milk is the people you work with. Don't feel like you need to explain yourself to them. Your primary responsibility is to your baby, not to your colleagues' and their uninformed opinions. You could, however, think of this as an opportunity to educate your co-workers: none of them have kids, but you have the chance to show them how to give their future babies the best!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

So, should I still be pumping just as much as I used to? I feel like I should be pumping at least twice if not three times a day. I make about four ounces in a pumping session, and I'm gone for almost nine hours.

My lo is one about the same age as yours. I work a 10 hr shift that has 3 15 min breaks and a 30 min lunch. Most days I pump all on all four of my breaks. I to usually get 3-4 oz out each session & at least 15 oz a day. My lo usually drinks 2 5 oz bottles while I am away so I make sure there are 5 oz in each bag and any smaller bag I usually use for his nightly oatmeal. I nurse him in the morning just before I leave and then as soon as I get home, and then a few hrs later right before bed.

I think my biggest problem is just making the people at work understand, but I do want to make sure I'm not the one in the wrong.
    I sometimes to get ?'s from my co-workers about my pumping and how long I plan to continue. I usually tell them its much cheaper than formula and that I plan on continuing as long as my baby needs me to. Most of the time that quiets them down.

Your baby is the one who needs the milk not your co-workers. Don't let them talk you out of something you think you might need to do. And remember there are working mom's everywhere in the same boat.
    mama to Connor & exclusively for over 6 months now !!!

born 09-26-08 8lbs 1oz 22 inches long
    2 week 10-10-08 9lbs 4oz 21-1/2 inches long
    2 month 12-09-08 13lbs 14.5 oz 24-1/2 inches long
    4 month 02-10-09 15lbs 5 oz 26 1/2 inches long
    6 month 03-26-09 18lbs 12oz 27 inches long
    9 month 06-30-09 ???

with pp. you should pump enough to meet your child's needs, not matter what other people think there are many mammas who pump way into their child's 1st year. I don't think i went down to one pump a day until my dd was 1. and i had a pretty good stash.

Tina - mom of Addison Belle
    12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

and my VBAC ~ Olivia Grace
    9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in