Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can someone please explain block feeding!

Default Can someone please explain block feeding!

I'm a little confused on the process of block feeding. It's says start out in 2-3 hour incraments...I'm not sure what that means....and then increase by a half hour if need. My DD eats every 2.5 to 3 hours, he is 2 months old. and at night he goes much longer between 4 and 6 hours. I have OS and OALD and he has lots of green poops, in fact I haven't seen a yellow poop in a month. Can block feeding help me to produce more hindmilk? I've been feeding on one side for 2 feedings and then switching to other breast after that (i just started today). So my one breast isn't getting any stimulation for 4 to 6 hours. It gets engorged and leaks but I don't want to pump because it cause me to produce more.

Default Re: Can someone please explain block feeding!

Your doing it right!
    2-3 hour "blocks" just means that in a two hour time period you'd only feed your baby on one side now many how many times he wants to nurse.

Since your baby goes longer before nursing your doing the right thing. Nurse the same side for two sessions, then switch to the other side for two sessions.

It doesn't really make you produce more hindmilk, I'm sure you produce plenty already. The trouble is you have so much milk that your baby is probably filling up before he really gets to finish the breast or get as much hindmilk as he would if your supply were lower.

It will probably take a week or two to start to see any difference - it's ok to express a little if your really bad engorged. The trick is that you only want to express enough to relieve the pressure JUST enough so you don't burst. It's ok to do that it helps prevent clogged ducts and that sort of thing. You might try hand expressing, that usually gives you a little more control.

Thank you so much. We are working on it but it's been difficult because he is fighting off a bug.

No problem. That is hard, hope he's feeling better!

I had this same question. So what do I do at night when my ds goes 4 hours - just do one side and then after another 3-4 hours the other side?
    So when my son nurses every 2 hours in the day, should I be nursing on one side for 2 feedings? I've been switching every other side so far...

I did one side for every 2 daytime feedings. (4-6 hours typically). DD rarely slept for longer than 3 hours at night so that was less of an issue but the times she did I just did the math and compared how long it had been since I used each boob and how long it could be before she ate again. Then I just decided based on that and tried not to leave one side in "time out" for too long for comforts sake.

We had to do 2 rounds of block feeding to get to "normal" and after the second time we went to one side per feeding except for the one before bed and occasionally others if DD still wants more. She is 5 mo now and we still only do one side per feeding (minus bedtime)
    I'm Melissa, DD (01/12/2009) weaned at a little over 2 1/2 years