Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Will I Be Able To Increase Supply? Lo Is 4 Months Old Now

Red face Will I Be Able To Increase Supply? Lo Is 4 Months Old Now

HI.
    I'VE BEEN ONLY NURSING SINCE MY LO WAS BORN HE IS NOW 4 MONTHS...MY PUMP BROKE ABOUT 2 MONTHS AGO SO I HAVENT BEEN ABLE TO PUMP AFTER FEEDS TO STORE MILK, HOWEVER I JUST CAME UP WIT THE MONEY TO BUY A NEW MEDELA PUMP BUT I'M WONDERING IS IT POSSIBLE TO STILL BE ABLE TO PUMP AFTER FEEDING HIM AND GET MILK LIKE I USED TO BECAUSE IT SEEMS THAT WHEN HE'S DONE I'M EMPTY OR AM I ? I WOULD JUST LIKE TO HAVE MILK STORED IN CASE OF EMERGENCY THAT I MAY HAVE TO HAVE MY MOM WATCH HIM I DONT WANT HIM HAVING FORMULA...I'M NOT VERY FAMILIAR WITH MILK PRODUCTION AND IF I WILL PRODUCE MORE IF I PUMP AFTER FEEDING HIM SINCE HE IS ALREADY 4 MONTHS IS MY SUPPLY WHAT ITS GONNA BE? OR COULD IT STILL INCREASE ? I'M REALLY STRESSING ABOUT THIS BECAUSE I WOULD LIKE TO NURSE TIL HE'S 2 BUT WOULD LIKE TO HAVE MILK STORED FOR BACK UP...HE IS NOW SLEEPING THRU THE NIGHT I NURSE HIM 5-6 TIMES IN 24 HR PERIOD MY LAST ONE BEING AT ABOUT 8PM AND NOTHING ALL NIGHT TIL ABOUT 7 AM...I'M TERRIFIED OF LOSING MY SUPPLY AND THAT EVENTUALLY I MAY NOT BE PRODUCING ENOUGH FOR HIM TO GET FULL AND HAVE TO RESORT TO SUPPLEMENTING THATS WHY I WOULD LIKE BACKUP ALSO. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED...THANKS!

Default Re: Will I Be Able To Increase Supply? Lo Is 4 Months Old Now

You can definitely increase your supply by pumping. Your milk supply is constantly changing to meet the demands put on it: if your baby nurses less, it diminishes, if he nurses more, it increases. If you pump in addition to nursing, your body will respond to the extra stimulation and make more milk.

Don't worry about losing your supply- that really doesn't happen unless a) you get pregnant again, b) you go on a new form of hormonal birth control (Note: this doesn't happen to everyone who uses hormonal contraception!), or c) you stop nursing.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you! I thought I couldnt get it to increase at this point because it may be wat its gonna be since he is 4 months old...I think once i get my new pump I will get up at night and pump since he is sleeping thru the night...it was just such a set back when my pump broke I'm now down to my last 4 oz of frozen milk...Hopefully this one wont break since its a bit of a more expensive brand than the one I had...Once again thanks a lot

You certainly can increase your supply still. By adding either a nursing session or a pumping session, your body will be told to produce more milk and then will do so, until you tell it to stop.

!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

Great! I'm so happy...This is very important to me