Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best milk storage bags?

Default Best milk storage bags?

I have been using the milk storage bags by The First Years, but I have noticed that I can't always get them to seal all the way. I figured that out the hard way when my milk leaked all over the place out of my bag at work earlier this week. Since then I have been checking the seal by turning the bags upside down and I've noticed that about half the time they are not sealed as I expected them to be, always on the left side. But not only that, I can't get them to seal no matter what I do. So I end up taping the top to seal them. So now I'm wondering how long this has been a problem for me and I didn't realize it because I used to just put the bags directly into the freezer when I was home. When I thawed them, they frequently seemed bad, so I was thinking I had the lipase problem, but maybe I just have a bag sealing problem!

So, has anyone else had this kind of problem with your milk storage bags? What brands? Do you have any tips for me? And what do you think are the best brands of milk storage bags? I'm ready to switch!
    -Alicia
    Mommy to Cadence (5/19/06) and Tessa (4/25/09)

Default Re: Best milk storage bags?

I loved the Gerber brand, never had a problem with them. I used the medela bags first and wasn't too excited with them. But I've seen a lot of posts were mommies didn't really like the Gerber brand, but like I said I never had a problem.

I've never tried The First Years brand. I use the Lansinoh bags with the double zipper seal. I've never had a problem w/ the sealing. Good Luck

I've used the Medela brand bags all along (16.5 months worth! now done pumping, but still BF) and have some left. Avolk, PM me with your postal address and I'll happily mail you a few to try to see if you like them! I've got one or two of the Lansinoh bags as well and can include those.
    -linda

I double bag: Initially inside the Gerber ones and then put the Gerber inside a First Years bag. Gerbers are skinnier than the wider First Years. I can get the First Years to seal properly but I push really hard back and forth to make sure.

I love the Gerber Seal n Go bags. I haven't had any problems w/ leaking at all. They store well, freeze well and are easy to pour the milk out of.

I also use Gerber bags. I have only had problems once. The seal was seperating from the bag I lost 3-8oz bags. Then I checked all the rest and found several more. I just called the company and told them what happened and gave them the info off the bags and they replaced them for me. I have used them ever since with out any problems.

I have been using the Lanisoh bags and had one break when frozen until I figured out that I should do it flat! They do warn that the special plasitc isn't as flexible but it is safe. They have never leaked and I like the double seal.

Has anyone tried other methods that they thought were better than bags?

jeanne

I have also used the avent storage cups. That is extremely nice b/c they stack, but you can only reuse them 3 x b4 they start 2 break down. I have seen on ebay the trays that look like ice trays. Each slot holds 1 oz of milk. I thought that would be nice, but afraid to try something new with my precious milk. (not enough as it is) LOL

I always had the best luck with the Lansinoh bags. I found that both the First Years and Gerber bags would split if you put more than about 4 ounces of milk in them. I also liked the fact that the Lansinoh bags had a space outside the storage part to write the date and number of ounces.