Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning from the pump.....

Default Weaning from the pump.....

My LO just turned one and I am so ready to give up pumping. He nurses at 6:30am and then at 6:30 pm during the week and 4 times a day (wake, two naps, and before bed) on the weekends. Do you think I'll be able to keep up with my supply without pumping while I am away at work? Has anyone been successful with this?

Also, he is not much of a comfort nurser...doesn't nurse after shots or after boo boos :-( Do you think this means he'll wean earlier?

I have an awesome supply to start with but my nursing relationship has been shaky from the start and I don't want him to wean because the supply drops.

Default Re: Weaning from the pump.....

I pump weaned at ~13 mos and had no problems with my supply. I always had plenty on weekends and evenings. My dd was a big comfort nurser, so I don't know if that had anything to do with it.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I pumped weaned at 15 months (yippee) and did it slowly, cutting out one session per week. My son still nurses 20 months and we've had no issues. He is an on and off comfort nurser but I think it increases a little when he doesn't get my milk at DCP. He likes to reconnect with me when we get home.

Glad it has worked out for you both. I cut out my early morning before work pumping and hoping to keep one during the day for now. We'll see!

with PP and what your doing, you shouldn't see that drastic of a change! Good luck!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

This is exactly what I was going to ask. We are less than 2 weeks from a year I am planning on still nursing (4x a day on weekends and 2x a day during the week like poster stated), but would love to stop pumping I am down to pumping 2x a day and will cut it down to 1x a day next week. Please keep us updated, I would love to hear how it goes for you! Congrats on making a year So awesome! And happy birthday to your lo

Here's an update at 1 year and 3 weeks....still pumping once per day (only at work) and getting almost enough for 1-2 bottles. Had a cold so the decongestant dried me up a little.

Son just learned that pulling up shirt = nursing which I am hoping to nip in the butt, especially since most of the ti,e he doesn't really even want it.

That's it!

Wow, I can barely get enough for 1 5oz bottle pumping just once a day. How long do you expect to keep pumping? Are the weekends going ok to nurse 3-4x a day?

I stopped pumping around 10 mo. for both my babies because I couldn't pump at work. I was able to nurse whenever I was with them and on the weekends without any issues. My first lo stopped nursing early (because I got pg) but my second is still going strong at almost 1 year. She still nurses once during the night and I think that helps my supply. I've read/heard that most moms don't have supply issues if they keep nursing past 1. The milk just seems to be there whenever you need it. Plus, I think that the milk is more concentrated so the baby needs less of it but still gets the nutritional value. Does that make sense? I hope everything is going well for you - you should be fine to keep nursing even after you stop pumping!

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!