Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sudden milk supply drop

Default sudden milk supply drop

I have been exclusively nursing my daughter for almost nine months. Within the last week I've noticed some things that concern me. I no longer feel a tingling sensation indicating let down. My daughter seems to have to suck a long time before she gets any milk. She drinks for maybe a minute or two at most and there is no more milk. I notice a decrease in milk when I pump as well. I was pumping more than 12 ounces a day... now I am lucky to get 6. I am supplementing with frozen breastmilk I have stored but soon my daughter will catch up with me. What can I do to bring my milk supply back?? I'm really worried... which I know doesn't help the situation! Please help!

Default Re: sudden milk supply drop

Hi. Exactly the same thing with me!! My dtr is 9 months this week, and all of a sudden I can't pump but 6 oz on a good day and she's not really satisfied when nursing. I've been watching my liquids and calories and all. I pump alot - 6 times today and i got 8 oz over 12 hrs. So far survivng off frozen milk. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I wish you the best of luck getting your milk supply back up!!

I'm really disappointed. I am hoping to continue to nurse beyond 12 months even if only in the morning and before bedtime. I love it.

First, milk supply has a lot to do with frequency of feeding and how long the feedings are. I also experienced this problem at around the same age. But, if you think about it they are about 9 mo., and eating more solids. The solids are replacing the nursing time, so you will produce less, naturally. At one time I was only pumping 2oz. at each pump, which alarmed me because I used to pump 5-6oz each time. I started nursing at least 1-2x at night also to increase my supply. The night feedings are important to keep your supply, even though you may feel exhausted in the morning, especially if you have to wake up early for work the next morning like me. My son is now a year old. I no longer pump at work and only feed my son when I'm home and at night. Hang in there all you pumping moms.

I had the same thing happen recently when my DD was just about 8 MOs. I noticed it also corresponded exactly with me suddenly losing 5 pounds. I've asked others about this and lots of people have said they both suddenly lost a bit of weight around that age and their supply dropped. Everyone I've talked to is a SAHM, not pumping/working like me, so they were able to nurse more frequently to make up the difference and rebuild supply. I took a long weekend and let her nurse like crazy, all the while I was taking fenugreek. That really seemed to bring my supply back up to normal. I think the fenugreek helped, but the key was the more frequent feedings.