Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: suggest starter foods

Default suggest starter foods

I was wanting some ideas of different easy, soft foods to try for my 8mo old. He has rice cereal and the normal baby food fruits and vegs...but what else can I try?
    he did suck on some watermelon over the weekend...he liked it! he also eats the mini puff baby food snacks...

what do you give?
    THANKS!
    Sha Nay Nay
    MOOOO
    = working mom

Default Re: suggest starter foods

Avocado
    Banana sliced into french fry sized sticks
    sweet potato baked and cut into french fry sized sticks
    Potato baked and cut the same way
    Pumpkin or other squash baked and cut like above

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

with what she said! Especially avocado and bananas . . .those were favorites around here.

How are his finger skills . . . my boys both love peas!! I'd buy frozen ones and cook them just long enough to make them a bit soft (gummable).
    Katherine
    My boys (both hypnobirths!):
    N 12/24/05 - birth center baby; nursed until Dec. 2007
    G 3/21/08 - we had a wonderful homebirth!!! - still nursing

LO loves to chew on carrot sticks (well, a whole, peeled carrot about 3" long so it's easy to hold). Nice and cool on those teething gums.

ETA: Hmm Dr. Sears says to hold off on raw carrots until 3 years old. The pieces I give her are too big to be choking hazards. She can't get pieces off yet (her 2 teeth are too small). I'll continue to give them to her but planned to and will, take them away if she starts to get pieces off.
    Last edited by @llli*amysmom; June 3rd, 2009 at 06:08 PM.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

My DD loves to have string cheese. I peel it into real thin strips and she then chews/sucks off pieces from that. Actually any kind of cheese is good for her! She also loves banana chunks and pears, although your LO might not be quite old enough for that. I gave Katy one for the first time at 8 months. She wasn't able to bite off enough at a time to choke on, but she did eat some of it, and she loved the taste, and it was fun for her to bury her face in it! (pretty funny to watch too! )
    I'm Shannon!
    Single, babywearing, barefoot in the grass mama to 3 wonderful babies!
    Abby 11-25-03
    Terry 9-29-06
    Kate 6-12-08
    and my Jack 11-17-02, gone to God at 11 weeks

"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about."

"I am going to be happy today, though the skies may be cloudy or gray. No matter what comes my way, I am going to be happy today."

black beans! they have a ton of good stuff in them. rinse first to avoid the big mess!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    Mango and asparagus were big hits. Broccoli trees are a good one but the only food she flat out rejected after tasting. I have also given her some ripe melon.
    ETA to be clear, she sucks on a big piece of melon - not sure how much comes off.
    we were worried about x getting big bites of watermelon (his first food) so we put it in a mesh feeder and it worked well

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

thank you that was all very helpful.

Sha Nay Nay
    MOOOO
    = working mom