Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My 2 year old doesn't want my milk

Unhappy My 2 year old doesn't want my milk

Hello ladies,

I have a couple questions, and I'm not sure if this is the right forum or not, but here goes anyway.

I have been pumping for my 2 year old ds for about 3 months now (my younger ds is almost 4mo). I have changed up my pumping schedule a few times, because my supply hasn't been staying consistent. Sometimes when I wake up early morning for ds' feeding, I'm EXTREMELY full, so I feed him, then go pump both breasts, and that'll be enough for my older ds for the day (he's been drinking about 12oz. per day). Other times, I can easily go all night without pumping, and struggle to get 6oz. when we get up in the morning. So, my first question is, why is my supply still all over the place?? Just when I think that it's evened out, suddenly I can't sleep through the night again without waking up engorged. I'd like to be able to consistently get enough for my older ds as well (but without "taking away" from ds2, of course), but that just doesn't happen. I was trying to pump at the same time every day, so that's what my body would expect and I'd be able to get enough all the time. But it didn't seem to be working... And advice on this issue?

My second question is, suddenly my older ds is rejecting my milk all together. I'm assuming it's ALL milk (I think he has a lactose intolerance issue--the last time he drank cow's milk, he had serious diarrhea) that he doesn't want. He drinks a lot of water, and only gets about 4oz of fruit juice a day (if that). But I'm concerned about him getting enough calcium, plus all the other good stuff that my milk provides him (he is a very picky eater--and I'm afraid he's lacking in good nutrients). I end up dumping out my milk quite often with him, which is heartbreaking. Any ideas on how to get him to drink it?

TIA!!
    Punky
    Mommy to L - May 7, 07' , B - February 7, 09' , and R - August 18, 12'

Default Re: My 2 year old doesn't want my milk

could it be something hormonal? I notice wild variations in supply with my cycle around what I think is ovulation and before my period. Have you had your period back yet? I remember reading that your milk taste may change as well and some babies will drink less around those times.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ferchi View Post
    could it be something hormonal? I notice wild variations in supply with my cycle around what I think is ovulation and before my period. Have you had your period back yet? I remember reading that your milk taste may change as well and some babies will drink less around those times.
    I don't have any advice about how to get your 2 year old to drink your milk, but was going to say the EXACT same thing about the fluctuations in your supply. The amount I could pump would always vary a LOT, depending on where I was in my cycle. Just before AF, and right at the beginning of AF, my supply always seemed to be the lowest. It would slowly come back up to normal following AF, but then dip again just before my next cycle. Sadly, my cycles are 23-24 days apart, so this was a frequent occurrence for me.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

try on cold cereal. Thats the only way my kids will "Eat" cows milk....

Thank you for the replies! I haven't had my period yet, but that's a possibility, because I have been having some cramping. Although it's been off and on for probably a good month now, but I think that still could be the reason.
    I've been thinking about maybe adding a tiny bit of chocolate syrup, and hoping he'll drink it that way

Punky

I would just incorporate it into foods he will eat, (as the pp said ) like cereal or cook with it...
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*number4 View Post
    I would just incorporate it into foods he will eat, (as the pp said ) like cereal or cook with it...
    Muffins! I've never met a toddler would wouldn't at least eat the top off! There are some really healthy recipes out there.

Oh ETA: What about a momcicle? Frozen like a popsicle? My LO wasn't into the yogurt for a long time but he'd eat frozen yogurt a lot.

If you can get enough, could you make like a fruity frozen dessert with bananas? Or banana smoothies or something. I don't have many suggestions, but I was just thinking about the two things Lilly likes!
    Proud mummy to Lillypig, in love with my best friend and partner, Batfink
    One year done, and still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lillypig View Post
    If you can get enough, could you make like a fruity frozen dessert with bananas? Or banana smoothies or something. I don't have many suggestions, but I was just thinking about the two things Lilly likes!
    Great idea! Then he'll be getting some fruit as well, which he could use some of too.

I got my period back around 5mo too and my milk supply is all over the place all month, during ovulation and flow. But my little guy eats table food now so I don't worry so much.

Maybe you could mix a delicious smoothie to put in a sippy cup with a straw for your older one. Now that the weather is getting warm a nice cold smoothie might go down easy and you can mix in all kinds of different frozen fruit. Plus it's fast!
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens