Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How will this impact our nursing relationship?

Default How will this impact our nursing relationship?

DD has never been a big fan of the bottle, but DC has always been able to get her to take about 8 ounces by popping the bottle in her mouth as she's falling asleep. DH is off for the summer, so DD is now at home with him. Thus far, he has been completely unsuccessful in getting her to take any milk. She can drink from a straw cup, and she loves to drink water from it, but she has never really been interested in taking milk from it. Nonetheless, he has offered her milk in the straw cup, a regular sippy cup, a bottle, a regular cup, while standing, sitting, in the glider, on the sofa, in the bed, etc etc. She drank about an ounce today while I was at work. On the other hand, she was willing to take solids, in greater amounts and with greater frequency (she has only recently shown interest so we have only recently moved up to two solid feedings a day but DH offered her 3 today out of concern for her caloric intake). If DH cannot get her to take milk with the success that DC was able to, what will giving her more solids instead of milk do to our nursing relationship? I work 3 days a week, so this would occur three times a week. She takes very little solids when I'm around, so I don't know that she would suddenly refuse to nurse, but I'm a little concerned (I know she's old enough to begin to wean if she chooses, I guess I'd be sad though!). Do you think offering her solids on my work days would be okay, would it encourage her to wean earlier, should DH continue to at least offer milk? Perhaps I'm hesitant for our nursing relationship to end... Oh how sad that day will be. But, I also want to do what's best for my DD, and I know BM is nutritionally complete. So, any help would be greatly appreciated here. Thx!
    Mommy to Baby K, born 5-13-08 after 30 hours of labor and a c-section

Pumped for 30 months

3 years of breastfeeding and counting!!!!

I'm a (breastfeeding) (vegetarian) mama!

Default Re: How will this impact our nursing relationship?

I doubt that what she does while you're away will have much effect on your nursing relationship while you're together. When my son reached a year, I deliberately weaned him off the bottles at daycare, and saw very little different in his nursing behavior when we were together. In fact, there are a lot of posts throughout 12-24 months with me complaining that he will never wean (and at 29 months we're still in the final stages of weaning).

I would have your DH continue to try the cup but not to stress over it and increase her solids while away from you.

At daycare my DD eats solids at morning snack, lunch, and afternoon snack AND takes 15ozs of EBM and yet on the weekends, she still just pretty much nurses. She eats way more solids at daycare than at home where she nurses more.

Can you offer the solids mixed with BM? DH will offer DD oatmeal made with BM, macaroni and cheese made with BM, etc and she's happy with that too. What about making some frozen breastmilk popsicles and putting her in the high chair with it? Its getting warmer and that'd be a nice treat. Plus it may help with teething.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

FWIW, around 13 or 14mo DS started eating a lot more and having less milk (only a "nap bottle") when I was at work. He is still always interested in nursing when I'm around, and we're still going strong at 18mo.

Do you cosleep, and offer milk freely whenever you are home? If so, I don't think that solids during the day will make her wean early. I have a friend whose 2-1/2yo DS nurses on evenings/weekends/early mornings, and eats solids while she works. , I think you'll be okay!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Thank you so much for the encouraging experiences! We do co-sleep most nights, and I do allow her to nurse freely when I'm home with her. Ideally, I would like to wean her from the bottle (don't think that will be too hard to do! ha!), so I think I will ask DH to continue to offer her a cup and use BM when making some solid foods for her. And I LOVE the idea of BM popsicles! DD is a huge fan of soy ice cream (it's a little too sugary for my preference, but we give it to her as a special treat occasionally, and she goes wild), so I bet she would really like BM popsicles - especially with the 90 degree weather we're having. One more question - if she refuses BM in a cup, should we offer water? I remember reading that she shouldn't be allowed to drink too much water, but she really seems to enjoy it, and it could potentially be the only fluids she gets during the days I work (with the exception of the small amounts in her solid foods).

Pumped for 30 months

I would definitely let her drink water! I ask my sitter to limit DS's water in the hour or so before I pick him up, but that's it. (The other day they were playing in the sink and he must've drunk a ton of water - the number of soggy dipes which came home was astronomical. But he still nursed.) I would limit juice & sugary drinks (or skip them altogether), but offer water freely, especially when it's hot.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

OK! Limiting just before I get home makes complete sense, but I'll make sure DH lets her drink water as much as she wants the rest of the day. Thanks again for your help! I can't make it to the LLL meetings nearby, so it's wonderful to have this board as a resource.

Pumped for 30 months