Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Wean Yeah Right...

Default Wean Yeah Right...

You ever start a project you were interested in and thought was important to you then a year later realized you were addicted and in over your head...sometimes that is how I feel about nursing. I love it! I love my time and bond with DD! But sometimes I wonder how will this ends? How will she know when to stop? How will I know when to stop?

DD is 13 mo gets 3 meals a day and nurses about 5-6 times a day. I do work paart time so she gets 2 bottles of EBM 3 days a week. She will not drink EBM from a cup only a bottle! Literally spits it out if it comes from a cup, cold or warm doesn't matter. I always nurse her first thing in am then have breakfast, before am nap, before lunch, before pm nap and before bed. Sometimes before dinner or middle of night trying to avoid that though just in an effort to decrease slowly. Am I on the right track here?

When do you brush teeth? She always falls asleep during nursing/rocking at bedtime. It isn't like a bottle.

Please help here where you can. Thanks.
    Theresa with moby wrapmy little so I can work too
    13mos and counting

Default Re: Wean Yeah Right...

At 13 months they are still babies imo. I didn't notice a natural shift towards weaning until my DS was 18 months. Then he started slowly dropping sessions. At 13 months we were still nursing at least 10 times a day! I never thought it would let up..... but it did. And now at 2 he's down to nap and bedtime most days. We never have to NIP and he can skip nursing alltogether if I'm not around.

Hang in there momma, just a little longer and I promise that your DD will also start to wean! They all do.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

About brushing - the number of times you brush is much more important than when. So if bedtime isn't convenient, you pick a better time to brush for now.

When DD was that age I'd brush then nurse to sleep.

It does get better. Your dd is just getting to that age where she'll start to understand when you start placing limits on nursing- when, where, how long, etc. It gets easier when you aren't at the mercy of a 1 year old's whims.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

yup and I vote it she likes the bottle keep using it.
    No need to change to a cup or sippy if what your using is working.
    remember too as long as toddler is nursing well 3-4 times a day they don't need milk subitutes.

I know exactly what you mean about breastfeeding being addictive! I planned to nurse for 1 year, and absolutely not a single day more, and ended up nursing for 3 years!!!

Don't worry too much about how breastfeeding will end. It will end eventually- you can be sure you won't be nursing your daughter on her wedding day! And it will probably end gradually- at 13 months, a baby is still a baby, breastmilk is still a very important part of her diet, and breastfeeding is a very important part of her little life. But at around 18 months-2 years, most babies start getting more and more interested in things that aren't breastfeeding, and they start eating more and more solids. Gradually they start dropping feedings, and pretty soon you're nursing 1-2 times per day, maybe a few times more when your baby is teething or sick. Eventually you realize that your baby hasn't nursed in a week, and weaning is done, with no tears and no effort.

Here are some interesting articles and abstracts about extended breastfeeding (a.k.a. natural-term or full-term breastfeeding):
    When to Wean
    Fat and Energy Contents of Human Breast Milk in Prolonged Lactation
    Extend Breastfeeding's Benefits
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

thank you all. At work yesterday everyone was like "Your still pumping!!! Isn't she 1 yet" But if she needs bottles while I am gone then guess what I have to pump. The milk fairy doesn't come and deliver my breastmilk to daddy in a warm bottle without a little work from mommy. I love breastfeeding but could do without the pumping for sure.
    Theresa with moby wrapmy little so I can work too
    13mos and counting

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*theresa.bug View Post
    The milk fairy doesn't come and deliver my breastmilk to daddy in a warm bottle without a little work from mommy.

I want a breastmilk fairy, too!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*theresa.bug View Post
    I love breastfeeding but could do without the pumping for sure.
    I love nursing DS, but the day I super-cleaned my pump and put it in the closet (just a few months ago) was definitely a day of celebration. Am I glad I did it? You bet! Would I do it again? Definitely! Do I like pumping? No way! But it was worth it to be able to give DS BM, and to be able to continue our nursing relationship. I am so glad that he is old enough now that we can nurse when we're together and he can eat when we're not. There is an end in sight, mama!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

I feel the same way, though DS is having some whole milk in a sippy (not a ton) a few times a day. He is 17 months, and no indication of self-weaning. 3-5 times a day he nurses on average, and a little more lately (molars ) I think I will be sad and happy when he weans. We want to TTC, but no AF yet! I think DS will need to wean, or be close for my fertility to return. But Will loves BF, and likes to "check-in" - latch on for a few seconds just because- as well as his regular nursing sessions. I think it's a bit of a curiosity for my family, since I hold the record for BF duration. MIL didn't, SIL tried and couldn't after a month with both, Step-sis weaned at 7 months, and my mom nursed me for 13 months until I self-weaned and my brother for 8 months until he bit her So sometimes I think people wonder how long it's going to go on. But nobody understands your BF relationship with your child as well as you do. So if your LO is or isn't ready to wean, you are the one who knows best.
    Mama to William James born January 2nd, 2008
    Nursed 2 years, 2 months! and I think we're done!
    And our new Lucy Jane born March 30th, 2010, 7 lb. 4 oz., 20.5 inches

Pro-breastfeeding quotes:
    http://www.quotegarden.com/breastfeeding.html

I know what you mean, some days I cry at the thought of weaning and other days I am ready for it to end. My DS is almost 14mths and we are in the process of weaning. It started around 11mths when he became too interested in his toys to nurse for more than 30 seconds. I took this as my cue and added a sippy cup to the day. We went like this adding and subtracting sippys as needed. Now he nurses in the morning, and some days he wants to nurse once at some point in the day but as there is less milk it doesn't last more than a couple minutes. He was nursing every bedtime too since birth but the last 2 nights I didn't offer and he didn't seem to notice. I was offering at this time beforehand as my bbs would be so huge and sore but they havn't been for the last week so I think this confirms we are weaning gradually. We are now well on our way to our final destination. I am at the point of 'don't offer-don't refuse' and this is working well. Like you, until last week I had never laid my son down at bedtime without him being held or rocked to sleep. It had begun to get really hard as it was taking longer and longer for him to get to sleep and became a 45min rocking episode! He hasn't fell asleep on the breast for a good few weeks. So one night last week I kissed him goodnight and laid down on the floor next to his crib, he threw out all his soft toys at me one by one and laughed when I said am exagerated 'ouch' noise, then we threw them back and fiorth for a while laughing and then he got bored and lay sticking his toes through the crib bars for me to tickle. Then, to my amazement he fell asleep without any fuss! I think he was just happy I was there. He has feel asleep this way every night for the past 6 nights and slept like a rock (he would wake up most night previously)! Tonight he just lay right down and was asleep in less than 3 mins! I guess what I am trying to say is wean very gradually and follow his cues. I think they go through stages were they are more open to weaning and then get more attached again and so on. If I were you I would start with night weaning, and then very slowly nix the day feeds he's least interested in one by one.